• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD or Raptors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VeeMon

Im looking to spend some money on a hard drive to see speed boost in apps and what not. Currently im looking to spend maybe about 200? Looking at newegg right now i see alot of drive being in the 200-500 dollar range with 200 being the bare minimum if you want a good drive. Im looking to fit the drive with Win7/WoW as the main things but i'm also looking for just a tad more room to fit on office and the adobe suite with out breaking the bank.

The only reason Raptors were worth their cost was because they were the fastest desktop hard drive you could get, and being king of the hill is wroth a premium. With SSDs out the Raptors aren't worth theirs price premium over normal drives considering how small their performance advantage is. The closest decent SSD to $200 you can get that is still big enough for you would be the 60GB OCZ Agility for a bit above $200. That should fit Windows 7, WoW and the Adobe suite, with some room to spare.

The only reason Raptors were worth their cost was because they were the fastest desktop hard drive you could get, and being king of the hill is wroth a premium. With SSDs out the Raptors aren't worth theirs price premium over normal drives considering how small their performance advantage is. The closest decent SSD to $200 you can get that is still big enough for you would be the 60GB OCZ Agility for a bit above $200. That should fit Windows 7, WoW and the Adobe suite, with some room to spare.

alright i'll look into that. Basically if all i've experience in the past are just regular hard drive normal standard 7200 one. The SSD should show an insane improvement in application time correct?

=( wow 80gb x25 was only 200 on blackfriday i wish i jumped on that deal

alright i'll look into that. Basically if all i've experience in the past are just regular hard drive normal standard 7200 one. The SSD should show an insane improvement in application time correct?
I always found this test (from Anandtech) to be the best example for SSD supremacy:
19853.png

hmm so intel x25 has the best size i need but it also very pricy. =( anyone know any other drive beside the ocz agility and intel x25

for everything other than large transfers to the ssd the intel is the way to go, had both and give me the intels everytime from now on

found the x25 g2 for 256 on Tiger Direct with few shipping and no tax to california. 38 dollar back with bing and 25 with ebillme and bring it downt o 195 i think imma go for it.

got mine from macmall for 243 retail package with 2.5-3.5 adapter. no cash back from bing for me. should be a better deal at macmall if you can get bing

go to bingcash type in tiger direct > right side 12.5% discount click on it > search for intel x25> ad to cart> use ebillme

^
dam im in love with bing already !! already saved (well i spent it again too) money on ram and a cpu .. my system build just got allot beefier !! im thinking i just doubled my ram and switched a 5870 for a 5970 .. hell of a deal

bah =( i notice it doesn't come with a 2.5 to 3.5 bay adapter. o.o anyone know where i could get a decent one from? i checked the egg and i got back some 2 star rated one.

Try searching for the Zonestar adaptor. I just got it for my Vertex, and it does what it should... nothing fancy, just two brackets to hold your drive in place lol

If you buy a retail boxed X25m, it includes a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter in the box.. I know there are cheaper options, but for pure read speed, it's real tough to beat an intel drive; and you'll do a whole lot more reading than writing.

I love my 2x 80Gig X-25's. My wife doesn't notice much in PC performance but she really noticed that speed up when I put those in.

Back