• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD shopping! Who's reliable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Rightr now the Samsung 850 EVO (500GB) can be had for $147US with code AFMSSD0125C. I do not know if that is available for Canada or how it works out in CAD but that's the lowest price I've seen for that drive.
Around ~$200CAD Honestly after a certain point it's just money to me. :p

Anyways, US Newegg codes DO NOT work for newegg.ca I have found that out recently. So that's a bummer :(

Newegg has the Intel 535 240Gb on sale with a discount code.
Brings it to $153 CAD shipped.... Hmmmm

Thoughts on Silicon Motion controllers?

Or perhaps the NAND brand itself matters more?

No issues I can think of off hand...

I figured you bought already silver, lol!
Nope :(

Was saving for a car...
And now that I bought a (much) newer car I figured I can use my stashed cash for an SSD. Getting tired of these slow spinners :-/

Nope :(

Was saving for a car...
And now that I bought a (much) newer car I figured I can use my stashed cash for an SSD. Getting tired of these slow spinners :-/

Enjoy the new ride. BTW What did you get?
As for SSD its pretty universal these days. The days of reaaaaaaaaly bad drives popping up are a thing of the past now since the bugs/quirks have been worked out. Now its all about longevity it seems like but even then these drives will last a very long time. You might out grow the size before the drive becomes really irrelevant.

Personal preference for me - Samsung, Micron, Intel. Pretty much in that order. Once you get one, you'll be like... why didn't I do this sooner? Good luck!

Personal preference for me - Samsung, Micron, Intel. Pretty much in that order. Once you get one, you'll be like... why didn't I do this sooner? Good luck!

I can certainly vouch for that! Many owners here said they were fast
but I didn't realize loading the OS was THAT fast!

:thup::thup:

Enjoy the new ride. BTW What did you get?
As for SSD its pretty universal these days. The days of reaaaaaaaaly bad drives popping up are a thing of the past now since the bugs/quirks have been worked out. Now its all about longevity it seems like but even then these drives will last a very long time. You might out grow the size before the drive becomes really irrelevant.

2012 Corolla, Magnetic Grey. Some pics in the what did you get today thread if you want a look :)
Okay so basically any SSD will do, it's more a matter of seeing from reviews if the drive will preform how I like. (Sustained Xfer rate. I see the BX200 from Micron hits 80Mb/s after the cache fills up...)

I can certainly vouch for that! Many owners here said they were fast
but I didn't realize loading the OS was THAT fast!

:thup::thup:
You liking that 850 EVO RT?
They are popular, and they aren't overly expensive it seems...

You liking that 850 EVO RT?
They are popular, and they aren't overly expensive it seems...

I asked ATMINSIDE for some suggestions because there were
too many choices. I was in uncharted territory for me.
He recommended the Samsung EVO 250 for my needs and showed a review link
Caught a decent sale and that was it. Of course there are other good SSD's but
I didn't hesitate to take good advice.

You'll be happy with it, very happy...

I love the Evo's as many other members do and they go on sale often but I still own a OCZ agility III, which didn't get a good rep and mine's been running fine for years.

Enjoy the drive!

Can't wait to get it!
Just need to shrink my partition and image it. :thup:

Back