• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange issues with a Shuttle SK43G

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
Hi folks:

I am having some strange issues with a Shuttle SK43G. I have the usb keyboard and mouse connected through a 2-port USB switchbox. Occasionally when switching back to the Shuttle, it will not recognize the keyboard and mouse (no keyboard lights will illuminate, and the bottom of the optical mouse will not glow red). Each time this happens I notice that the screen has gone to sleep, I am unable to wake it up without a reboot.

Upon a soft reboot the usb devices work again. I've noticed that every time this happens the screen has gone to sleep, so perhaps there is a correlation? I have disabled all power saving settings in Windows XP, I'll have to wait a bit but I'm going to disable all power saving settings in the BIOS as well once the machine is available.

Has anybody ran into this type of issue before? Is the Shuttle dying? I've had intermittent issues with the onboard NIC on this system pretty much since day one, I had to buy a PCI NIC long ago just to have reliable network connectivity.

I am using a mobile Barton 2400+ in this system, running at 1.75 GHz (166 X 10.5) at 1.45V. I've never overclocked this system, actually it's been slightly underclocked for its entire life.

Thanks!

Sounds to me like it's going into S1/S3 and you don't have it jumpered for +5VSB on the USB ports (which would supply standby power to the USB ports). So, when it's going to sleep, the only devices capable of waking it up are turned off.

EDIT:

I just re-read it and my thoughts on it are about the same, but the issue sounds a bit different. Disabling power settings in the BIOS might do the trick, but that wouldn't explain why they would work when disabled in Windows.

Does the system come out of a suspended state when it has not been switched away from?

Last edited:
Hi Jon, thanks for the help. It comes out of the monitor sleep when it hasn't been switched away. I'm going to try disabling all of the power settings in BIOS right now, hopefully that helps things. It doesn't need to be going to sleep anyways. :)

EDIT: Actually, the BIOS will not let me disable power settings, at least at first glance in there it wouldn't. (The ACPI Enable/Disable function was grayed out). :(

Last edited:
In that case you may want to scan the board or look through the manual to see if you have +5VSB jumpers. If you have them, ensure they're set to enable.

You might also want to go to Device Manager and under your keyboard and mouse device Power Management tab, make sure that the "Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power" is disabled. It may be grayed out already, and if so, it may be a problem in the way that board's USB ports work with the KVM power.

Hi Jon:

I looked through the motherboard manual and did not find any +5VSB jumpers, however there are two external USB headers that have nothing plugged into them.

The front of the box has two USB ports and these are wired to a main external USB header that is part of the larger front panel header. The two additional USB headers are labeled JP5 and JP6 and their pinouts are as follows:

(1)(2)
(3)(4)
(5)(6)
(7)(8)
(9)(10)

1=VCC, 2=VCC
3=Data0-, 4=Data1-
5=Data0+, 6=Data1+
7=Ground, 8=Ground
9=Key, 10=No connection

Should I leave these be, or connect jumpers between pins 1-2 on each?

Thanks for the help!

Back