• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange noise coming through speakers after PSU/GPU install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

so i've had something similar when i move the mouse around and get a little whiny noise but this is different.

when i was playing some games last night i noticed something that sounded like the buzzer coming through my speakers under all the regular game sounds and music.
i noticed it mainly when i was playing fork knife, i wanted to see how well DLSS was working in the game and i was running one of their horde rush holiday things.

but this was the last game i played last night, before that i was playing Gundam Evolve for about an hour and even before that some emulation stuff that uses vulkan to render.

i recently installed a evga 3070ti and a corsair RM750 psu at the same time (because i needed more juice). before the change i didnt have any feedback through my speakers at all.
i have a little that i notice when i move the mouse

current specs in addition to the GPU and PSU above are:
R5 2600
AsRock B450m
16gb Team Tuf 3200
256 Gb Hp m.2 nVME
1 Tb Team m.2 Sata
Evga 280mm CLC
3 Corsair ML120 fans

the PSU and GPU before the swap were
Evga 1660 Super
Evga 450w Supernova SFX

i'll keep an.... ear out for it tonight, i get the feeling since i didnt notice it earlier on with the stuff i was doing heat might play a role in it.
gaming the GPU gets to low 70's and the cpu low 40's

i've had this before on other systems but this is pretty bad that i can hear it over other things coming through my speakers, any thoughts?

Last edited:
yep yep, no change.
twirled it around a bit too because it is a bit picky

i'm wondering if the feed back is coming through the bus or the power rails

does any one make any connectors for gpu's that have filter caps in them?
i know about that evga powerlink thingy but i dont think that fits on this card, def not in this case at least...

edit:
well hmm i just noticed the 3rd fan isnt working. the googs suggest a firmware update using their precision application...
and i was able to register it and it says it has 827 days of warranty left so i could RMA it if need be

Last edited:
Sounds like something isn't grounded properly. Check all your cable connections first. The 20+4 and GPU 6+2 connectors are notorious for not seating properly (which is also a fire hazard).

Back in the day when I bought Dell, I started to hear a roaring noise through the speakers. I called Dell and after many complaints, they decided to send me a hard drive. It didn't change seet. Then they sent me speakers, then a sound card. I think it went away. I'm sure this doesn't help in your case I just thought......aaaaa:shrug:

Are you certain it is coming through the speakers? It may be coil whine from the GPU (or PSU, or both). I noticed more in some high fps (cpu bound) lower GPU load scenarios with my system. Try unplugging the speakers entirely and see if the sound is still happening.

Re the fan: some GPUs will not spin all the fans depending on load, rather than just have one fan curve for all 3. Could this be? Does the fan kick in with a heavier load than forkknife?

Sounds like something isn't grounded properly. Check all your cable connections first. The 20+4 and GPU 6+2 connectors are notorious for not seating properly (which is also a fire hazard).

i checked them out a few times before i pulled the card, no change

Back in the day when I bought Dell, I started to hear a roaring noise through the speakers. I called Dell and after many complaints, they decided to send me a hard drive. It didn't change seet. Then they sent me speakers, then a sound card. I think it went away. I'm sure this doesn't help in your case I just thought......aaaaa:shrug:

a sound card making it go away makes sense, they usually have a bit more protections to keep this from happening

theres been some shenanigans from the ebay seller i bought this card from, with the 3rd fan not working, plus the fact that the 3rd fan looks absolutely clean and free of dust.

i'm not sure how i should approach this, try and rma the card, try and get a replacement fan from evga, try and find a replacement else where.
the card works but last night it got pretty hot, i cant remember if they were all spinning or not when i first got it in
Post magically merged:

Are you certain it is coming through the speakers? It may be coil whine from the GPU (or PSU, or both). I noticed more in some high fps (cpu bound) lower GPU load scenarios with my system. Try unplugging the speakers entirely and see if the sound is still happening.

Re the fan: some GPUs will not spin all the fans depending on load, rather than just have one fan curve for all 3. Could this be? Does the fan kick in with a heavier load than forkknife?

positive its coming through the speakers. if i mute the game sounds in the mixer and turn the volume up it gets louder.
and no it never spins, we were north of 90 last night in oberwatch and it wasnt on. i swapped the connection with the one next to it and it still didnt spin. a few minutes ago i pulled the fan off and applied voltage directly to it and nothing still. ded fan.

hopefully not dead fan socket, its a different connector than the ususal gpu fan so i cant try others on the card. the pin out is the same but its got a funky clippy thing to keep it in place

i got the 1660 back in and i'll see if i get strange noises still, if i do i'll return the PSU.
whatta mess this is turning into

Last edited:
If you can make the ebay seller accept a return then that's your best bet imho. Sounds like they tried to repair/replace the fan and were not successful. Better to let someone else worry about their broken hardware than try to take on the task of getting it repaired/ replaced.

If I buy something used and it breaks in 3 months, so be it that's a risk you take. If I buy something used and it is broken on arrival, that's a no go and it's time to use the powerful buyer protections imho.

eh yea i dont know if i'll get a another at a price like i got this one with what nvidia's been doing this past week. the card works its just that 3rd fan be ded.
i asked evga support if i could get a replacement and told them what i told you guys here and they are already back to me talking about RMAs.
i replied asking if there were shenanigans with the fan and what that would mean and i'm waiting to hear back

as far as noise goes, pretty sure its the PSU, been running the furry donut while writing this out and its still there, slightly different pitch but that would make sense to me as i'm using the 1660

ok an update to all this.

i did some more digging and testing and nothing was coming up or changing with this PSU. i re tested with my old SFX psu since the cards out on RMA and i can replicate the feedback only if i really juice up the volume more. i was stumped for a while until a new LED lightbulb in my fixture started going out and it hit me. most of the lights have a slight flicker to them weither they are led or not or on a dimmer or not. the closer to the breaker box it is the less noticeable it is.

the wiring in this house is either picking up interference or is well... crap! and i think its the latter. my outlet tester says they are its wired correctly for the ones i'm using but the ground light has a similar flicker so theres most likely a grounding issue in the house. the parents arent worried but i'm gonna press the matter more since they plan on living in this house until they die. they dont know the neighbors well enough to ask if theirs flicker too like maybe its a supply issue from the street. but also from some of the really **** work we found in the basement it could be just a crap job or a loose connection at the breaker box. maybe when we start on the deck soon we can crack it open because he wants outlets and lighting on it.

house is too new (2001) to have aluminum wiring but it was definitely not built in an era where quality was on any ones mind and the PO did some super sketchy stuff since.

as for the card, i got an email today saying they registered a new serial number to my evga account and a return tracking number

Have you checked the house ground? How is it grounded? For a 2001 home I belive they are all grounded to the copper water main line here in Michigan. I've had an older house that used a copper rod and the wire broke away from it. Once I realized it I noticed the copper rod was "loose" in the ground too. So I relocated it several inches and reconnected the ground wire.

they do rods here still, like really long ones too. they used a lot of steel pipes in oregon for the mains and some houses since things dont rust like they do back east but grounding to the steel water supply lines caused some sort of problems. probably corrosion of dissimilar metals and adding some juice to it only makes things worse. some houses internally would have their wiring grounded to the steel pipes in the walls when some one didnt know what the heck they were doing and you could tell because if you held one hand under the water and rubbed the other hand wet across the faucet you'd get this buzzy feeling in your faucet hand. scary stuff when your in the shower with a cast iron tub during a lightning storm. they were generally houses that needed to be repiped.

anyway the outside ground looks ok, i cant pull it off by hand. my concern is the box it self. its missing some screws on the cover and others are stripped out. the box is completely full of cheater breakers (link) some of which do nothing and are all different brands. its a **** show. it really should have had a bigger box and some sub panels, but at the same time there are so many that dont do anything we're kinda wondering why they arent standard breakers.

i know cheater breakers are "acceptable" but when the box is totally full of them when a bigger one was the correct course of action it kinda makes you wonder

Back