• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stupid fan question but im interested

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pugsport

well i have a fan question to start with. it may sound stupid but im interested to find out why some fans are not as deep as others and what effect this has on performance and noise etc.

ok well i was looking at buying some of the scythe gentle typhoons for my system and while there i saw scythe slip stream fans that are 120 x 120 x 12mm and the typhoon is 119 x 119 x25mm. are these general case fans or just made for places where space is tight as i would have thought noise would be more and performance not so great altho i could be wrong. im not looking at buying the slip stream fans im just interested thats all

2nd question
i know this is not the right place for water cooling info but i did not want to make another thread on the subject of fans unless i need to.

so im going to be using a black ice SR-1 360 radiator and wanted to know if i would benefit from using a push and pull setup with fans or if maybe just push or pull would be better

I am a total newb at this, and all my knowledge is only in theory as my parts have not arrived...but this is what i have gathered so far...

Not sure what you are talking abotu for the GT fans as the ones i am ordering are 120X120X25 here is the link right HERE

Also here is set of Slipstreams right here and they are also listed as 120x120x25. Link

Also i did some research myself and it really doesn't seem like push/pull is really all that worth it considering the noise increase. I guess if noise isnt a issue with you then maybe. But honestly its probably not going to be more then 2-3C and is that really worth 50 dollars in fans?

BTW: Dont take anything i say as the gospel, i am still learning myself, just trying to help and save some of the pros some typing...Maybe someone will chime in with a "What he said!"

it would seem that they come in different sizes then which i had not spotted.

link to the 12mm http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Scythe-Slip-Stream-Slim-2000-rpm-120x120x12mm_18517.html

well thanks for your input and if worst comes to worst i could always try running a push pull setup and if i dont like the noise etc i can always use the fans for something else or keep them as spares. it would have been good to get some info on if there is much benefit with push pull but they do say the best way to learn is to play around and find out what works

Try not running push pull first. Depends what's in your loop if you would even see a benefit.

Go to Martins web page and Skinneelabs.com and learn more about fans on rads would be your best way to proceed.

Back