• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

suck or blow? suck or blow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freshy98

I have a question that you guys may answer for me ;-)

My case is a GXT912 with 2 extra 92mm fans that came with the case.
As you can see in the review there is a shroud above the CPU that sucks air into the case, and is blown out through the front.
The cooler I use is a Global Win FKP32 that sucks air from the heatsink.
So basicelly there are 2 streams of air bouncing in on each other.

Since the air is sucks into the case by the shroud fan and blown out again through the front fan, would it be logical to let the FKP32 fan also blow down the heatsink?
I tried reversing the shroud fan once, but my CPU temps rise quite a bit!

I hope that someone can answer this.

Thanks in advance

i would think that if there is a steady stream of air ( like a jet stream ) you would want your hot air to go INTO it...so i would escape. blowing down would cause a turbulance in your stream of air...

me i have so much air in and out, i don't think my air has anywhere to go but out

Take out all the fans and set them up from scratch. Duct cold air straight onto your cpu(remove any fan you have on it just now) I use a 120 mm fan ducted from the side of the case down a tapered duct to the heatsink. Massive cooling effect. Suck air in from the top or the front, and blow it out the back. It doesn't cost a lot ( £10-15 for 3-4 fans, your labour free, ducting from sheet perspex) and with care, looks really neat.

OOOOOooooh my god is that case sweeet!

I want one, how much are they? Id be painting it and ripping a hole out in the side for a window in no time LOL!

Oh yeah your question. If that shroud covers the whole hsf and core with only at most 1-2cm gap then get both fans to blow air OUT. I say this because very little turbulance is made if that is the case. You will get higher case temps but lower cpu temps. Its your choice.

I tried letting the shroud fan blow out, but my CPU temps went higher! Dunno way, it just did.

But I think there is enough between the fan and the shroud, so that should not be a problem.

with a Celeron 566@876 the temps are about 2C to 6C idle and 39C to 40C load. Running Prime95 and MBM504.

Pitspawn (Jul 18, 2001 06:26 a.m.):
OOOOOooooh my god is that case sweeet!

I want one, how much are they? Id be painting it and ripping a hole out in the side for a window in no time LOL!

Oh yeah your question. If that shroud covers the whole hsf and core with only at most 1-2cm gap then get both fans to blow air OUT. I say this because very little turbulance is made if that is the case. You will get higher case temps but lower cpu temps. Its your choice.

Got mine in Holland after a bit of searching. www.computerland.nl I believe.
I got it last summer and costed about 350 Dutch Guilders.

Back