• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions On Di-Electric Removal ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
littleowl said:
Then wouln't eat at the flux in the solder joints and corrode the compositors? I have never used the stuff so I am interested in this. Break cleaner worked great for me but like you said with this stuff it stinks!

I have Goofoff here at the house, it doesn't do such things to metals its not a crosive solvent your thinking possibly an acid, the only thing that could be a consern is it "might" be able to remove the lacquer off the PCB.

greenmaji said:
I have Goofoff here at the house, it doesn't do such things to metals its not a crosive solvent your thinking possibly an acid, the only thing that could be a consern is it "might" be able to remove the lacquer off the PCB.

yes I would worry about taking the lacquer off with that as well! most solvents are alcohol based that is why I was asking! like I said I used break parts cleaner and it worked great with very little scrubbing.

also at work we use some solvents at would eat right through a pcboard so when I look at the can up there I see the ultimate remover and makes me think it may do more harm then good. Like I said I have never used it or even looked to see what it was made of.

If krag says it works it does, I'm sure he would have mentioned it if it removed any of the pcb screening.

LOL....there is just no way it is eating the PCB away or any lacquer. I WISH! Heh...if it were that "hot" I could find more uses for it.

krag said:
LOL....there is just no way it is eating the PCB away or any lacquer. I WISH! Heh...if it were that "hot" I could find more uses for it.

well thanks for the input but it wouln't be a matter of being "hot" as you put it!

so what makes it work better the break cleaner?

El<(')>Maxi said:
If krag says it works it does, I'm sure he would have mentioned it if it removed any of the pcb screening.

so what your saying is that krag knows everything?

littleowl said:
so what your saying is that krag knows everything?

No he's saying that krag has ACUTALLY USED it before to do this.
In other words, if it removed anything, he would have experinced it first hand.

greenmaji said:
No he's saying that krag has ACUTALLY USED it before to do this.
In other words, if it removed anything, he would have experinced it first hand.

but that don't help someone that has not used it and could leave it sit too long and in turn it would eat it! I am not saying he is wrong I am just curious about how good it does work I would like to here more about this stuff from krag! like you said he has used it. I have used break parts cleaner and I can tell you how it worked. for me it worked great :attn:

Comon here...its just adhesive remover that just happens to work very well on TIM. :-/

TIMMY

4 the 2nd time, its not TIM (thermal interface material - like Artic Silver which is conductive), its Di-electric grease, and I really can't see why its such a big deal to remove every last bit of the stuff even though its no longer providing condensation protection??? It shouldn't interfere with the contacts on the proc. even at nominal (ambient) room temperatures, so what's the worry to remove it all?

If you're selling it to somebody, I can see why they'd like it out (esp. if they don't know about the board's history!!!), but if they are made aware or have any aspirations of phase changing it for themselves, it really shouldn't matter to them either...

It works very well on TIM, if you dont beleive me try it yourself. No one is saying di-electric grease is TIM. You seem to think so...?

Well I am the one that bought the board from waTTz and being a noob at the world of computers I was not quite sure at first what it was. Yes it can be beneficial but clean and like new is always a good way to buy something used. WaTTz is a good friend of mine and he was just trying to make sure it was beautimus before shipping it in my direction:beer: I have no current plans for phase change but for water cooling which the dielectric grease would only help. but for now I like it clean:santa:

NuBie said:
4 the 2nd time, its not TIM (thermal interface material - like Artic Silver which is conductive), its Di-electric grease, and I really can't see why its such a big deal to remove every last bit of the stuff even though its no longer providing condensation protection??? It shouldn't interfere with the contacts on the proc. even at nominal (ambient) room temperatures, so what's the worry to remove it all?

If you're selling it to somebody, I can see why they'd like it out (esp. if they don't know about the board's history!!!), but if they are made aware or have any aspirations of phase changing it for themselves, it really shouldn't matter to them either...

If your refering to me as calling it TIM that was not me I am only asking to explan how it works and how he did the cleaning! break cleaner worked for me and it was like water running over the board. Also I am asking because I want to know how well it worked with conformal compound as well as the di electric grease?

As for TIM would you guys get over TIM it is not TIM and will never be!

Back