• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

T-Bred Questions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PigGuy

I am dying for a Tbred, and I have a few questions.

What is the cost expected to be?
What clock are they going to start the line at?
When is it really comming out?
How high will they take it?
Will it work with my Soltek SL-75DRV2 mobo?
How OCable will it be?

What is the cost expected to be?

A: The cost on the XP2400 will be around $300~$340US. The T-bred is built on .13M technology which makes it easier and cheaper to build.

What clock are they going to start the line at?

A: 1.60GHz, 1.67GHz, 1.73GHz, 1.80GHz, 1.87GHz and 1.93GHz (XP1900~XP2400).

When is it really comming out?

A: May! - Intel drops the bomb with a 533MHz Bus Pentium4 (2.53GHz) and AMD will fight back with the XP2400 (1.93GHz).

How high will they take it?

A: The Thoroughbred is already showing up at trade fairs at the XP2800 rating which runs essentially at 2.20GHz. I expect the AthlonXP processor to end around XP2800~XP3000 (2.33GHz). The Barton is a gonner in this case since the Clawhammer kicks in at PR3000 and PR3400 rating.

Will it work with my Soltek SL-75DRV2 mobo?

A: If your Soltek SL-75DRV2 supports the AthlonXP (Palomino) along with 1.60Vcore then it will be ready for the Thoroughbred. A bios update may be needed to correctly identify the CPU.

How OCable will it be?

A: Expect to get a 1.60GHz XP1900 up to 2.00GHz+ on a nominal 1.85V with air cooling. The higher end XP2200 and newer will be more limited but 2.00GHz will still be attainable without the need of high voltage or cooling solutions.

AXIA

Wait, AMD sounds like they are turning into Intel. If its true what you said about the chips being cheaper to build as the micron size goes down. Is AMD really going to sell that many if they are charging like Intel?

Thanks for the info. Where did you get all your facts?

PigGuy said:
Wait, AMD sounds like they are turning into Intel. If its true what you said about the chips being cheaper to build as the micron size goes down. Is AMD really going to sell that many if they are charging like Intel?

Thanks for the info. Where did you get all your facts?

it's rumored that over the next 2 months that intell is dropping thier prices 50% so they had better get cheaper cpu's or they'll be out of business!

AXIA said:

A: The cost on the XP2400 will be around $300~$340US.
AXIA

You're talking about the 2400 T-bred? This is going to be their flagship processor, are you sure that's a good guess on their price for it? I know they say it is cheaper to produce, but somehow I doubt we'll get the benefit of that...

What about the price on a 1900+ T-bred? Bottom of the line on that one, should be pretty cheap, right? If not, I'll take advantage of the price drop on the XP1800+ and OC to 2000+

AXIA said:

A: The cost on the XP2400 will be around $300~$340US.
AXIA

You're talking about the 2400 T-bred? This is going to be their flagship processor, are you sure that's a good guess on their price for it? I know they say it is cheaper to produce, but somehow I doubt we'll get the benefit of that...

What about the price on a 1900+ T-bred? Bottom of the line on that one, should be pretty cheap, right? If not, I'll take advantage of the price drop on the XP1800+ and OC to 2000+

There are those too who claim that the smaller die will make heat dissipation more difficult. Therefore speculation about heat spreaders? I hope not.

I hope that AXIA is correct (except for his price estimates).

I just wish that they'd get that horse on the track. I'd like to see her run.

See ya at the Derby, maybe.

BRUNO

Whats the die size going to be, closer to XP, Duron, or Tbird?

A heat spreader is the thingy on Celerons and P4s right?

The lower end Thoroughbred processors (XP2000+ and lower) will be priced the same as current XP Palomino processors (by price stepping - this meaning XP1700,XP1800 ext...

Unfortuneatly, there will be a point when both a Palomino and Thoroughbred processor exist on the shelves and the price will be the same. I'll feel sorry for the poor suckers who get the Palomino cores over Thoroughbred cores :(

price quoted for XP2400+ only counts the first few days the CPU is on the market, but it will drop right away.

Another interesting note, there is an XP2200 Palomino but whether AMD will ever officially announce it is skeptical.

AXIA

yeah and the t-breds will be out in march.... oh wait, late march... no nevermind, early april... crap I meant late april... oh new update May... hmmm june?? Yep now they say Late June...

lol, don't hold your breaths guys... I held out until early march for my upgrade then said screw this...

those people anxious for the kt400 really make me laugh though, dude, long way to go with the kt333 before via needs to be thinkin about the kt400...

-HJS

MSI KT3 ARU
AMD 2000+XP --> OC'd 2200+
Corsair 2700XMS 256MB
etc. etc.

KT400 will have to be out by June otherwise bye bye VIA in AMD's sector. nForce 620-D will be king for now as of June this year!

Why?

Comparison:

VIA KT400=
Bus Support = 200 / 266 / 333
Memory Support = 200 / 266 / 333 / 400
ATA interface = 33 / 66 / 100 / 133
AGP = 1x / 2x / 4x / 8x
other = USB2 / 1394

nVidia nForce 620-D=
Bus Support = 200 / 266 / 333
Memory Support = 200 / 266 / 333 / 400 with DUEL Channel Support
ATA interface = 33 / 66 / 100 / 133
AGP = 1x / 2x / 4x / 8x (1.5X / 3X / 6X / 12X in O/C mode)
other = USB2 / 1394

Nvidia says that with DUEL Channel DDR400 (Comparison to nForce-420), the nForce 620-D will offer 66% more memory bandwidth in memory benchmarks such as in sandra2002. Duel Channel DDR400 will boost over all system performance by 10% up from DUEL Channel DDR266.

Think of it this way, take the most hungry Intel system for Memory bandwidth, and this nForce DDR400 solution will squish it by at least a marginal noticeable difference and this is based on PC1066 Memory benchmarks in Sandra2002.

AXIA

Last edited:
I wonder which one of those will OC better,,, I mean, I wonder if Epox will make mobos with both of those chipsets. If they do, then I'll get both :)

hey Audiman, i think u may kiss epox goodbuy with the new Abit line of mobo's. google search for the AT7.
all i have to say is wow, the KT400 version will rock, seriously
and AXIA, I highly doubt that Nvidia's duallie ddr400 will outperform the kt400, look at the current nforce chipsets with dual channel ddr(if im mistaken dont kill me)
arent they dual ddr? i know the 266a beats them at stock in benchies and performance
-Malakai

As it stands right now, then Abit is next to epox when it comes to stability at high FSB's so it wouldn't surprise me if they give Epox a run for the money.

I wonder what the price difference will be between them two.

I jsut did some reading about the Abit. One thing that I don't understand is how are you going to use DOS with no PS/2 ports?

I need dos to use partition magic, flash bios's ghost drives, rescue disks etc.

Am I missing something?

Also if the T-Breds can be unlocked, I'll get me an XP-2000 :)
Don't feel like going through the hassle of unlocking a 2100+

However, depending on how well they OC, and if they can reach 166+ FSB on stock multipliers, then that might change my mind as well.

USB keyboard, YUCK ! ! !

I dont want to buy a new keyboard, I have enough trouble as is, trying to install 98 with no mouse. Its just hard to get used to.

I like the onboard firewire and LAN, but I still want my parallel and PS/2 ports!

Serial ports can go,, I never use them.

USB2.0 is nice.

I wonder what the Epox DDR400 has in store :)
I've got a bad addiction,,,waiting for the next epox mobo, and I just got the latest one a few days ago :p

my little birdie (the T-Bird in my sig.) is my personal main machine and i'm way overdue for a complete new system now....... wait out for the whole Palomino core.

all i want is a 2.1G+ AMD rig. so, T-bred should do me the trick, rigth? but............WHEN...................????????????? been waiting forever for it.......... :mad:

if still not, i guess i MIGHT turn myself to Intel then.......:(

Intel, you know, I never thought that I would ever say this, but since the Intel prices are apparently going to be dropping, and the OC capabilities of the northwoods are so high,,,,,,those would be fun to play with if AMD doesn't smarten up!

Apparently the 2.4 Gig P4 was oc'd to like 3.9 Gigs!!!!

Audiman, usb keyboards and mice work at bootup.
they work in DOS as well, the drivers are native in the bois, its all handled there. all u need is a usb to ps/2 adapter. i like my ps2 ports as well, but with 6 usb ports on the machine, its not a big deal
-Malakai

Back