• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temperature rating on 14AWG cables

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xenohitsu

Hi, long time forum user, haven't logged in over a year.

Had a question about cable ratings. I recently bought a refurbished EVGA BQ850 power supply from Newegg, and it came with a 14AWG C-20 cable, but it was missing the C-13 adapter or, missing a C-13 altogether. A review by Tom's Hardware says a 14AWG cable is included, and not really needed, but I still prefer to use this cable, and I purchased a C-20-C-13 adapter (Lynn Electronics C13C2015AYE-4F 15-Amp/250-volt 4-Feet Power Cord IEC 60320 C13 to IEC 60320 C20, Yellow) from Amazon.

My question is, all my 10 Amp cables list 105 degrees Celsius on their 18AWG rating, yet this C-20 cable lists 60 degrees Celsius.

1. Is this 60 degree Celsius rating lower than needed for 850 watts?

2. If I later chose to purchase a 1200 watt PSU, which would most certainly need an 14 AWG, would this 60 degree rating be lower than needed?

3. If my C-20-13 Adapter (also 14AWG) is rated for 105 Celsius, will that affect the smoothness of the current?

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited:
It'll be fine, even with the powersupply pulling max current it won't hit 60C, unless you're running your PC outside in death valley during the summer. Even if you grab a 1200w supply it'll be fine. Temperature ratings won't really affect any "smoothness", unless they are starting to melt, and if they do you've got bigger things to worry about.

1. Temp rating doesnt have much to do with the wattage it can handle.
2. Depends.. but if you buy a new psu, it comes with the right cable.
3. AFAIK, that temp rating is for the jacket, not the wire/current it can carry.

Back