• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96 - Please help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rswojo

My recently purchased Terratec DMX 6Fire will send a test tone to all of my Klipsch 5.1 speakers, but when I play a DVD I don't get sound from the rear and center channels.
I have selected 5.1 speakers in Terratec Control Panel and Windows-Control Panel-Multimedia is set to Surround Speakers. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Terratec Control Panel and am using the latest drivers. Terratec Control Panel doesn't look that complicated - I don't think I missed anything. Does anybody have a solution to my problem? I think the card is defective. I would like to keep the card if I could get it to work right.
Now for the rant.

My previous sound card was a Creative Audigy Platinum. It died before the warranty expired. I quickly found out that the Creative warranty wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. When I contacted Creative via email about my problem I received the canned response - end of story
Terratec doesn't look any better. I contacted Terratec email support about my problem and received a response from some IDIOT named Mark at Fostex (evidently Terratec's US distributor). Mark said to activate Sensura 3D in Terratec Control Panel to solve my problem. When I replied that I had already tried this, no further response. This happened twice. Furthermore if the IDIOT would have taken the time to read the owners manual he would see that Sensura 3D is to simulate 3D sound with a two speaker setup.
I contacted 8th Street Music.com to try to return the card but they will not take it back. I guess my only resort is to call the credit card and dispute the charges.
Doesn't anybody stand behind their products anymore?

As far as I know, if your trying to get 5.1 audio from a DVD, then you need a software player capable of decoding the 5.1 stream. The sound card alone wont do it. If you are using a DVD player capable of providing a 5.1 signal to your sound card, make sure its setup properly, and that in the DVD movie itself, you choose the 5.1 audio option, and not the Dolby Surround.

Thanks Mpegger and Richard. I tried following Mpegger's advice in my ATI DVD player, no such settings to change. However PowerDVD has the settings Mpegger mentioned. Now I get surround in DVD. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
P.S. Send Terratec a bill for your support services.

Back