• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Testing does FX-83xx seem to flat line after 4.3GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Having seen...

Having seen a user having big heat issues with a Noctua NH D-14 air cooler I went to do some checking on where that cooler was still in the rankings for AMD air coolers over at FrostyTech.

It is still ranked pretty high for coolers using air only. No water.

Anyway I went ahead and rounded up some info while I was there and sorted the information into as neat a package as I thought I was able to do. Image below should tell it pretty closely.
RGone...ster.

FrostyTech AMD Dec 2013.jpg

Ram swap...Stability REtest.

Note: I run voltage offset mode and have winders set to clock down when not loaded to ~1600Mhz. No sense in running those high cpu speeds and all that Vcore. So no load = ~1600Mhz and ~<>1.0Vcore. Therefore dropping back to lesser speeds also changed the "in-use" temps and only the very hottest seen and the most Vcore seen are still shown accurately.

My CPU/Socket temps thru-out the test stayed at about 57c with the one bounce hotter as shown in image.

The Core/Package temps thur-out the test stayed roughly 55c to 57c with the bounce to hotter as shown in image.

Just wanted to clear up the seeming oddness in temps and volts since I left it in Balanced mode in winders during the test as I would in day to day use and it throw the monitoring off when trying to display for others to view. I know what is happening but I was now trying to let another have a look-see.

I put in some perviosly unknown to me ram in 16gigs total and had the good sense to test stability again since it had surely changed moving to faster ram. Notes in image should describe the 3 ram timings that I had to manipulate to stop OCCT front end for P95 Blend from just throwing an undescribed error.

Until I got the Vcore dialed in the error was consistently that Core 3 had failed. After getting the VCore up sufficiently, I had to then dial-in the ram.
This is just a short FYI that is a result of my not being able to leave my shett alone. Hehehe

RGBoBeRtone...sterstignatorzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

1 4.7Ghz 16Gig_DDR3-2200.jpg

Thems some purdy good temps on Air gonestinatorzzzzzz

They are not too bad but I got ticked off after the Vcore made chase around a bit and think I need only an indicated 1.44Vcore and I need to twist this and push that to get it to hit just that tiny bit lower. Hehehe.

Now ram at 2200 need to see if it is even faster editting video.
RGonestinatorzzzzzz

I registered just to say this is amazing and has helped me more then anything else I have found on the entire interwebz.

Thank you so much, I have managed a successful 4.6ghz / 1866/2600/2600 set up on a dating air-cooled system. Wonderful work it really is appreciated.

The time and effort you put into this has saved me weeks of aggravation.

Thank you!
Clayton

I registered just to say this is amazing and has helped me more then anything else I have found on the entire interwebz.

Thank you so much, I have managed a successful 4.6ghz / 1866/2600/2600 set up on a dating air-cooled system. Wonderful work it really is appreciated.

The time and effort you put into this has saved me weeks of aggravation.

Thank you!
Clayton
Rgone, put a lot of effort into this thread he will be happy to read that, Miscreation. Welcome to the forums.

This is another good read if you want to take the time to look through it. It's a thread where we just bounce ideas off one another. A lot of it is AMD based, though there is also a lot of just bs-ing fun stuff. Another good one to read is this one, it's a PDF directly from AMD on tuning the Fx platform.

Edit: here is another that Rgone put a lot of work into.

Last edited:
Back at you..

...Very interesting and a good thing to know that finally someone actually said that all this work has saved them time plus apparently gotten them a very decent overclock without having to pull every last hair out of their head. Hehehe.

Thank you Miscreatrion for letting me know it was a help. I think though that what a lot of people never see is what goes on in the background. For instance Mandrake4565 that has responded to you in the thread, is instrumental in keeping the lifeblood of ideas going. He 'races' Johan45 with their speeds to the more than a little insane and then I hear from them. Try and take what they are spurring me on with to make it usable in an everyday since of the word/work.

We have one of our members in here that is slowed right now on a BIG work that he and I are in the process or trying to get done for that huge thread over in the AMD mobo forum section. I am just trying to pay it forward from some guys who helped me in the early 90s to just look at the hobby of overclocking in the bigger picture instead of becoming too too bogged down in the smaller things. If you can overclock...well you can overclock. Overclocking is not just tunnel visioned onto a cpu type; board brand or what not.

I would be remiss if I did not in turn give a big thank you to you, Miscreation, for turning my thoughts back to this thread I had not thought about lately since there has been no apparent use of it.

Seeing again my post #262; think back to only about 2.5 months ago when I had to REremember the yellow on red information that I had found and had to do it from memory since I had forgotten ever writing down that faster ram brought on me adding Vcore since I was at the lower edge of Vcore. Also that I had to modify tRCD, tRAS and tRC just to stop a very odd failure in P95 Blend that had me scratching all around.

So thanks to you Miscreation for being a spur to some of us yourself. Thanks man.
RGone...ster.

Hi, I suddenly found a strange can thingie next to my pc case...not sure what's up but I think I got an FX 8120 now xD
(exchanged my Core i7 3820 and x79 board for a gigabyte 970a-d3, a CM V8 and an FX 8120 plus some cash...)
Gonna re-read the thread, I might be under-vrm-ized.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, I suddenly found a strange can thingie next to my pc case...not sure what's up but I think I got an FX 8120 now xD
(exchanged my Core i7 3820 and x79 board for a gigabyte 970a-d3, a CM V8 and an FX 8120 plus some cash...)
Gonna re-read the thread, I might be under-vrm-ized.

under-vrm-ized = newly coined word but sounds fairly accurate. Never hurts to try a little though.
RGone...ster.

:p

Indeed, sorry for the weird double posting...haven't figured that out.
I'm running stock for now, reading, and will figure out how far she goes soon.

- - - Updated - - -

:p

Indeed, sorry for the weird double posting...haven't figured that out.
I'm running stock for now, reading, and will figure out how far she goes soon.

I realize this is an old thread, but I joined this forum specifically to express my gratitude to RGone and everyone else for their efforts to educate others. I happened upon this thread last night and very much enjoyed reading the first several pages, during which I not only gained useful knowledge regarding AMD overclocking, but also insight as to the emotional roller-coaster that apparently comes with the territory of assisting others in their efforts. I very much enjoyed reading the lengthy, and thoughtful musings of RGone and others. I look forward to reading the rest of it in due time.

I have been building my own systems for over 20 years. While I dabbled with overclocking many moons ago (15 years), I have been of the mindset that my builds at default settings are more than sufficient for my computing needs and the inherent risks of overclocking without the underlying knowledge of each tweak is foolish. Not that I would not have appreciated the gains through overclocking, rather I did not want to undertake the training and education required (for my comfort level) to do so safely.

However, times change. I completed my most recent build in Oct 2015 (see my profile if interested in the specs). My previous build was in 2009. I was blown away by the gains in Hardware over the previous six years. (I was still running XP Pro and using MS Office 2003, quite a jump to W10 and Office 365, etc) I built my system within a reasonable budget for myself and enjoyed researching various components with an eye toward revisiting overclocking.

I have spent hundreds of hours learning how to build systems, set up private networks, troubleshoot problems, update old hardware, setting up software, backups, cloud collaboration, etc etc over the years. I am my own IT guy as a self-employed consultant. Recently, I have begun a serious endeavor to understand overclocking, leading me to this forum, and this thread.

I am not in a hurry. My system screams compared to my last (yet it is whisper-quiet). While I enjoy reading how-to and configuration guides for my hardware, I'm more interested in learning how all the settings actually affect my system. I couldn't care less if it takes me months to overclock my system, so long as I learn the concepts in the process; these concepts will prevent me from having to seek the same one-off solutions over the next 20 years of building systems. Frankly, I learned more about networking because I had to do it with tools available back with Win 95. Same thing with financial modeling (big part of my business) by starting with Lotus 1-2-3 (Google it if you're younger than 35 years old). My point is the tools available today are vastly superior. Yes, anyone can build a pivot table in Excel by reading a few articles online. But to understand why one needs a pivot table and how best to use such a great tool, only comes with a deeper understanding, gained (in my case) by relying on creative workarounds until someone else developed the solution.

I feel sympatico with many of the contributors to this thread, feel like there are thoughtful members seeking to impart their wisdom to others with the hope the knowledge will in turn be cultivated and passed on later. While not meaning to denigrate, I also feel as though there is too much "hand-holding" and too little patience on the part of folks seeking answers (ample patience exhibited by the gurus). While I believe everyone whom takes the time to ask questions in a sincere manner are worthy of assistance, I also believe it is important to actually learn something new during the process, not just gain a specific, one-time means to a one-time end.

So, a heart-felt thank-you to all from beautiful Maine during idyllic spring!

Be well.

PS - I would have "Thanked" RGone as described within the first few pages of the thread, but it appears the option is no longer available. If incorrect, I'm sure I will learn how to do so soon. I did, however, rate this thread 5 stars!

Last edited:
Back