• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The beginning of the end for AMD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AMD have a lot in the pipeline.

If you take out Piledriver,-

New servers, New CPU's, New APU's, New GPU's, Nintendo already bagged, Hardware for Microsoft's xbox 720 and Sony's PS4 are a strong possibility. and Tablet chip's also done and ready.

That's a lot, and all of it coming in 2013, if they can survive until then, they will be just fine.

@ wingman99, AMD are making cuts because of a 10% revenue fall, Intel have fallen 14% http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443854204578060943152675174.html?ru=MKTW&mod=MKTW

New products but lower sales. AMD is still losing market % in almost everything.
Piledriver won't be next A64 so I doubt that anything will change anytime soon.
FM2 socket is planned to last about 1 year or something what is also bad idea.
In plans is to move all cpu series to apu platform and make 1 socket for all but that's in about 2 years ( if I remember it good ).

AMD in server market has really low % so no matter what will they do, it won't convince companies to move to their stuff. I'm working in IT for about 10 years and almost noone wants to even hear about servers on AMD. Good or not , people are used to Intel and they trust it much more on business market. About the same is with business notebooks where AMD almost doesn't exist.
Office computers are biggest % of all computer sales and most are running on Intel cpu/ intel gfx card. Biggest gfx card seller is still Intel.

APU seems good but is still losing with Intel because of poor cpu performance ( especially in notebooks ). Even though gfx is on good level then noone really cares on mass market as it's still too slow to play newer games and for browsing web or general office work Intel HD2000/3000/4000 is good enough but cpu is faster.
Forum members are generally enthusiasts and most have a bit other point of view. I bet that someone will say that APU is great and is beating Intel on the same price point. It just doesn't look so good in real sales.

AMD won't disappear from market so fast but while they are moving to mobile devices and consoles then desktop users will lose a lot.
Intel already doesn't care to speed up their new series and for example we will see DDR4 faster only because of Samsung/Hynix that already wish to earn some higher profit from already available technology.

FM2 socket is planned to last a year? Why have I been hearing the opposite?

I read up on the APU performing better with 2133MHz ram, but wouldn't Intels perform better with 2133MHz ram too?

FM2 socket is planned to last a year? Why have I been hearing the opposite?

I read up on the APU performing better with 2133MHz ram, but wouldn't Intels perform better with 2133MHz ram too?

The APUs perform better with faster RAM because the integrated graphics on the APU uses the system RAM as video RAM. System RAM is comparatively much slower than video RAM (most use DDR5 vs DDR3 in system), so the faster RAM helps improve the GPU performance of the APU. For both Intel and AMD, faster RAM doesn't really affect CPU performance.

Companies do mass lay-offs all the time and continue to plug along... This is just re-structuring and elimination of "redundancies" in the work force. Happens in every company that has more than two employees...

You guys can be assured that AMD is not going to close shop any time soon.

And just to be on the "objective" side of things... Let's just remember that Intel is also planning some large layoffs this year... More specifically from their McAfee division (yup; Intel owns McAfee).

It happens in every company; it will happen in every company - even successful companies do layoffs every once in a while... All it takes is for a new CEO to come in and decide to "clean house". Plenty of CEOs have done it while the takings were good and plenty more will do it when the takings are "not so good". It's the nature of the business; anything to make the bottom line a bit better.

If anything; I'm with rescuetoaster that this is just a good "buy" time for the stock.

AMD have a lot in the pipeline.

If you take out Piledriver,-

New servers, New CPU's, New APU's, New GPU's, Nintendo already bagged, Hardware for Microsoft's xbox 720 and Sony's PS4 are a strong possibility. and Tablet chip's also done and ready.

That's a lot, and all of it coming in 2013, if they can survive until then, they will be just fine.

@ wingman99, AMD are making cuts because of a 10% revenue fall, Intel have fallen 14% http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443854204578060943152675174.html?ru=MKTW&mod=MKTW

I'm with Seebs and Frakk about AMD. I find it interesting that Intel apparently took a bigger hit this quarter than AMD. I also saw an article awhile back that showed AMD planning to use more computer automation when designing CPU's in a manner similar to the way GPU's are designed. Perhaps some of the reasoning behind the layoffs has to do with that---Maybe they don't need as many CPU designers as they once did because they've got some ex-ATI uber-CAD doing it for them now......

I know one thing for sure, Intel will be an unmitigated monster if they become a monopoly in the CPU market, so if you're a system builder it'll probably be a good idea to fit in a few AMD builds next year to help them out..not doing that is like shooting yourself in the foot...
These new APU's do an acceptable job at the entry end of the market, both using the APU alone and for using them with discrete GPU's. Here is an article from over at VR-Zone to show you what I mean
http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-tri...discrete-gpu-gaming-performance/17272-1.html#

Nice results on that VR-Zone article, I'm very curious about CPU intensive games though such as Guild Wars 2 when going into world vs world- the game works on GPU in most places but strangely shifts to CPU when going into heavy fights such as in world vs world, this is where I'm concerned with the APU's performance. Also I noticed some of the videos from that VR-Zone article are old, like that Battlefield 3 one... what?

I too find it odd that Intel had a bigger revenue loss, maybe people hasn't been upgrading/buying their CPUs lately?

I too find it odd that Intel had a bigger revenue loss, maybe people hasn't been upgrading/buying their CPUs lately?
If you already owned a sandy bridge, ivy wasn't much of an upgrade.

Where as you would see a nice improvement going with a 7 series card.

The point being, the diversity of AMD's product line is a blessing to them.

If you already owned a sandy bridge, ivy wasn't much of an upgrade.

Where as you would see a nice improvement going with a 7 series card.

The point being, the diversity of AMD's product line is a blessing to them.

Yea diversity is good---I read over at Fudzilla that AMD is bringing out a tablet APU, the Z-60 in mid-November...the report shows it doing well in benches. If it gets a lot of design wins riding the WIN 8 tablet wave, perhaps it'll be a bigger story for AMD than piledriver as far a revenue growth is concerned.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/29093-tablets-based-on-hondo-coming-in-mid-november

It likely will be, piledriver will be a nice bump in performance compared to bulldozer, but it just won't be anywhere near Intels performance sadly.

Yea diversity is good---I read over at Fudzilla that AMD is bringing out a tablet APU, the Z-60 in mid-November...the report shows it doing well in benches. If it gets a lot of design wins riding the WIN 8 tablet wave, perhaps it'll be a bigger story for AMD than piledriver as far a revenue growth is concerned.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/29093-tablets-based-on-hondo-coming-in-mid-november

Well AMD is doing great on the low end and I do not mean slow processors. The APU is better than the ATOM and I use one in my main HTPC and I just bought a WindPad with the Z-01.

AMD is doing what it needs to survive.

I dont think AMD is going anywhere any time soon. The layoffs are more than likely due to enhanced automation. They have their spot in the market, as long as they keep produceing good performing, reliable products at a fair price, they will hang on, and prosper. Yes we are spoiled by Intels performance.. but when A64 jumped into the scene, they did make Intel look pretty bad, and it wasnt for just a few months, it was a couple of years before they had Conroe out to steal their thunder back. AMD still makes a great GPU, they have alot going for them I think, thanks to their diversity :thup:

As much as I was wholly disappointed in the Bulldozer 8 core epic-fail, I'd be sad to see AMD go.
Not only were their chips at the heart of my first 2 self builds, but their GPU line is better VFM than Nvidia IMO.

Furthermore, if intel has no competition then advancements in performance will slow, and intel will essentially charge the consumer what ever they like.

Go back to the top of this page two and look at those talking about AMD faltering and disappearing. You can see readily from rigs listed in the signatures what is AMD's problem. They don't make what WE want. Likely not what the majority of the world has wanted.

All companies should respond when the buyer speaks with HIS money. I pulled the systems in use from the signatures of the users wanting AMD to stick around. Nine easily seen systems in use. Six of the systems in use are Intel. Three of the systems are AMD. That is why AMD is faltering. They don't sell what we tweakers want and world-wide they don't seem to sell what the world wants. No wonder they falter. We nor anyone else buys many cpus that AMD currently sells or it surely seems that way according to the very little we can see by the users signatures in just this page of this thread.

Most of you on this page have already voted thumbs down on AMD by using Intel. This is fine since it is your money. But the votes are in already.

Intel > [email protected] GHz, 4GB Ram

Intel > [email protected]

Intel > Xeon X5690 @ 4512mhz

Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz

Intel > i7-920 3.8 Ghz

AMD > AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

AMD > A8-3870K stock

AMD 1090T X6 [email protected]

Go back to the top of this page two and look at those talking about AMD faltering and disappearing. You can see readily from rigs listed in the signatures what is AMD's problem. They don't make what WE want. Likely not what the majority of the world has wanted.

All companies should respond when the buyer speaks with HIS money. I pulled the systems in use from the signatures of the users wanting AMD to stick around. Nine easily seen systems in use. Six of the systems in use are Intel. Three of the systems are AMD. That is why AMD is faltering. They don't sell what we tweakers want and world-wide they don't seem to sell what the world wants. No wonder they falter. We nor anyone else buys many cpus that AMD currently sells or it surely seems that way according to the very little we can see by the users signatures in just this page of this thread.

Most of you on this page have already voted thumbs down on AMD by using Intel. This is fine since it is your money. But the votes are in already.

Intel > [email protected] GHz, 4GB Ram

Intel > Xeon X5690 @ 4512mhz

Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz

Intel > i7-920 3.8 Ghz

AMD > AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

AMD > A8-3870K stock

AMD 1090T X6 [email protected]

Hey what about my TurionII lappy and my WindTad (Win7) AMD Z-01? They are not in my sig!

And the E-450 is an AMD Brazos.

That's all very well and good mate, but the reason I moved from AMD to intel was performance per pound sterling.

AMD are WAY off in terms of consumer needs, there's no getting around a repackaged workstation CPU marketed towards gamers, it just wasn't going to work when 95% of consumer software simply wont address more than 4 cores, so why have 8?
Why not make the 4 cores (which they already manufacture) better than intel's, or atleast on par with for less money?

AMD ****ed themselves up here, they got away with it when they released x64 processors because everyone followed suit. If the same doesn't happen with this, then AMD are finished.

It's not the consumers fault. Nor is it the fault of anyone who bought intel or Nvidia. AMD stitched themselves up.

I took dibs on 'AMD being irrelevant in 5 years' when bulldozer was launched.
Seems that I'm (unfortunately) on course with my predictions.

I used to run AMD :thup:

I hope they get their butt in gear, my pc is getting old, and I cant afford a new Intel setup :D But the only thing faster then what I have right now is a newer flashier Intel.. Id like that to change someday, because my cpu is almost 3 years old now :shock:

I used to run AMD :thup:

I hope they get their butt in gear, my pc is getting old, and I cant afford a new Intel setup :D But the only thing faster then what I have right now is a newer flashier Intel.. Id like that to change someday, because my cpu is almost 3 years old now :shock:

Actually I think their butts are in gear. Moving to the APU and taking it to the low power end is the way to go. I have all of these rigs in my sig (needs an update) and honestly I can do everything I do (save encoding) on my tablet. Now the 2500K is strictly for gaming and it is only here because it is my retired testbed.

Even the slowest new dual core systems are more than enough for the average user. They are cooler and burn less power. AMD needs to try and dominate the mobile market because though the PC will never die it is evolving to SFF systems and the ATOM is just not cutting it. Yeah I have an ATOM netbook as well that never gets used.

It sounds like I may have been a bit ignorant with that post, I did not know that about the apu. I have a Lenovo with an atom in it, I want to office space that mofo.. And they had the nerve to give it ht.. As for burning power lol.. 1366 burns trees with the best of em lol :bang head

It sounds like I may have been a bit ignorant with that post, I did not know that about the apu. I have a Lenovo with an atom in it, I want to office space that mofo.. And they had the nerve to give it ht.. As for burning power lol.. 1366 burns trees with the best of em lol :bang head

I am working on something that should be done by christmas. I am going to move my main work to the Win7 tablet for about 6-8 weeks. It should be interesting because I am going to fully utilize online storage (Cloud storage for those who do not know better) and also have it set up to remote desktop to my i7 for some items.

You've already voted with your wallets which company you want to survive, AMD just does not make a product you want, so no use mourning thier loss if they do go under now, but if you look on the bright side if they do go under you'll still always have the fastest cpu since no one else will be making them.

You've already voted with your wallets which company you want to survive, AMD just does not make a product you want, so no use mourning thier loss if they do go under now, but if you look on the bright side if they do go under you'll still always have the fastest cpu since no one else will be making them.

Just because one person buys one product over the other really means nothing here.

Also OEMs are the issue here not builders.

Back