• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The beginning of the end for AMD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I used to run AMD :thup:

I hope they get their butt in gear, my pc is getting old, and I cant afford a new Intel setup :D But the only thing faster then what I have right now is a newer flashier Intel.. Id like that to change someday, because my cpu is almost 3 years old now :shock:

I know how you feel , for me to look at a upgrade I dont see any product that amd is selling as a upgrade ( in gaming) my e8400 when @ 4.5 is more than any of amds offerings .

Well, there continues to be fewer and fewer games released for PC's. I thinm they're actually quite right, the PC gaming market will eventually cease to exist. :(

Yup laptops are turning into the "main home PC" for most people...If Laptops catch up to the processing power of a full PC, I think we'll see laptops as a standard...and a full fledged laptop is usually cheaper than a full fledged PC and still capable of most tasks including games.

Business-class notebooks with comparable performance are typically 50% less than a desktop with monitor these days. With a core 17 and discrete Nvidia graphics available in 14" packages at these price-points, it's a no-brainer for most.

Heck, I put aside my main desktop (c2q at the time) to serve as an HTPC years ago when core i7 convertible tablets came on the scene. The notebook spanked it in real-world performance (that matters to me) and with a docking station, I had everything the desktop offered, no longer had to synch files twice a day and reduced power consumption by 70%.

While Trinity was a big improvement over Llano and spanks Intel in terms of IGP performance and battery life at idle, the A10-4600M still only competes with a i3-2310M in terms of CPU performance. Factor in the issue of CPU bottlenecking when using discrete graphics, and Trinity looks less than appealing for many.

These issues aside, the dramatically lower cost of AMD processors in a highly cost-conscious market combined with the positive attributes of Trinity could be big factors in determining market share. Alas, as noted previously in this thread, AMD's marketing leaves much to be desired...

That is true i only see intel commercials on TV and never see AMD on TV.

I think the reason you don't see AMD commercials on tv is because they don't have anything better to advertize than what intel has.

I think the reason you don't see AMD commercials on tv is because they don't have anything better to advertize (sic) than what intel has.

"Better" in this context seems to be a subjective quality. As noted in my last post, AMD has integrated graphics for laptops that outperform Intel's by a wide margin with lower power consumption at idle. Not marketing strengths such as these to a majority market at a time when they would likely prove popular may be a contributing factor to AMD's decline.

Well, there continues to be fewer and fewer games released for PC's. I thinm they're actually quite right, the PC gaming market will eventually cease to exist. :(

^ everytime I say this, people disagree, ooooh there's even more gamers now than ever before- yeah for the MMO market maybe, for FPS, RTS, sports, racing it's all going to console. But once there are consoles powerful enough to handle thousands of players at a time then that'll finally kill the PC market.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next XBox was a hybrid PC, then AMD, Intel, Nvidia, motherboard companies would be unhappy.

...yeah for the MMO market maybe, for FPS, RTS, sports, racing it's all going to console. But once there are consoles powerful enough to handle thousands of players at a time then that'll finally kill the PC market....

I think consoles are (or will be) powerful enough to handle the games... what I've read is that it's been the user interface that's the stumbling block. Apparently, ports of MMO's are clumsy on the typical home xBox and PSIII controllers.

It's sorta odd that it's the humble keyboard that keeps PC's in the 'power' game and (effectively) drives Intel's market dominance.

Last edited:
I think consoles are (or will be) powerful enough to handle the games... what I've read is that it's been the user interface that's the stumbling block. Apparently, ports of MMO's are clumsy on the typical home xBox and PSIII controllers.

It's sorta odd that it's the humble keyboard that keeps PC's in the 'power' game and (effectively) drives Intel's market dominance.

This really isn't a new thing though. Look at the lifespan of the 360 and ps3. They are releasing games for it still, but that hardware is 7 years old now. To their credit, the games look pretty good still, but compared to my desktop, my xbox games are a joke. I really only fire it up now to play one of the Halo campaigns occasionally, otherwise I'm entirely on my PC. I know I'm not alone on this either - I see lots of comments on the net from people who use it as a netflix box these days.

People have been saying for over a decade how the PC market is going to be dead soon. I assure you, as long as there is money in it, development will continue. I think Steam alone is proving that the PC market can be extremely profitable for both a distributor and developers.

As much as it pains fanboys, AMD performance is lower than Intel's offerings. But you know what? Performance from AMD is still stupid fast. Sure, I don't benchmark as high as my buddies i7, but we both play BF3 at 50-60 fps on ultra at 1080p. AMD needs to push the bang for your buck thing, because this is a chance to entice new customers to PC gaming who don't want to spend 1000+ dollars on a tower. This means more people building rigs, more people buying games, AMD having more revenue to compete with Intel, and lower prices for everyone from competition.

Personally I hate consoles now, I used to play the NES and SNES a lot and occasionally the Playstation 1. I liked the Dreamcast because it was capable of being a pseudo-PC, I had a bootstrap CD of NetBSD and Linux and it ran alright on it (I still have the DC with keyboard & mouse). I have an XBox 360 to play the NHL and NFL series (since their PC versions has stopped or turned into garbage) as well as the Need for Speed series but all of that is behind me since EA makes garbage games now, Forza 3/4 are the only games I play now and my father plays it too so I'll get on when he texts asking if I want to race him. I almost never play online with my XBox, I don't have the tolerance to put up with 13 year old squeaky screamers on chat.

I may use my XBox as a Netflix streamer too, I haven't tried Netflix yet.

Otherwise since the early 90's I've been a PC gamer starting with Wolfenstein 3D & DOOM and some of those MUDs and played a lot of MMO games since UO.

il be getting halo4 for xbox :) about the only reason i own an xbox is for halo lol, wish they still had some one porting them to pc :(

Well hopefully amd sticks around,hell I have faith in them I just built me an AMD rig and it runs great I can max out all my games, for around 800 dollars I feel like AMD fullfilled my needs just fine

I was going to buy an AMD setup but had to buy a plane ticket instead (I'm tight on money atm), in a couple months perhaps I'll look into an 8350 or whatever AMD releases by that time, unless the price of the i5 3570K drops but I don't have a whole lot of faith in Intel's support on the 1155 socket.

I'm a long time AMD user, I often am in the habit of skipping AMD"s first generation and upgrading with the second or third gens, I learned with the AMD Slot A (as I call it a burning furnace space heater) and the AMD MP (dual CPU). The Thunderbird, Turion (for laptops) and Athlon/Phenom II are among AMD's best, the Sempron was a step up too. So I'm thinking the Piledriver will save AMD from the Bulldozer fiasco. At least the A10 5800K so far is showing to be a phenomenal product for what it's made to do, that's where Intel falls behind in.

Well, at least I can cross my fingers.

Last edited:
I was going to buy an AMD setup but had to buy a plane ticket instead (I'm tight on money atm), in a couple months perhaps I'll look into an 8350 or whatever AMD releases by that time, unless the price of the i5 3570K drops but I don't have a whole lot of faith in Intel's support on the 1155 socket.

I'm a long time AMD user, I often am in the habit of skipping AMD"s first generation and upgrading with the second or third gens, I learned with the AMD Slot A (as I call it a burning furnace space heater) and the AMD MP (dual CPU). The Thunderbird, Turion (for laptops) and Athlon/Phenom II are among AMD's best, the Sempron was a step up too. So I'm thinking the Piledriver will save AMD from the Bulldozer fiasco. At least the A10 5800K so far is showing to be a phenomenal product for what it's made to do, that's where Intel falls behind in.

Well, at least I can cross my fingers.
Have you even tried the bulldozer yet ?

I'm going to upgrade to AMD Vishera FX-8350. with the 16gb (4x4x4x4) Mushkin 997015 ram + the Crosshair V Formula-Z. See my current system specs below and you will notice how that will turn out for me :p. I will finally get an Sata 600 boost to my Solid State Drives + its gonna unlock my graphic card's speed to what it was meant for.

poor AMD, I liked them back in 2001, to bad its coming down to this, i guess its only intel left

AMD needs a socket that handle MCM dies, like a mini version of there G34 socket, which could handle two APUs for 8x cores and dual onboard GPU.:drool:

What they should do is combine high-end desktop with low-end servers.:clap:
One area they are missing out on is microATX, those boards are no where to be seen on the AM3+ platform.:screwy:
Most gamers don't like there FM2 platform either.:D

My FX 4100 Bulldozer is overclocked to 4.3Ghz and it encodes TV shows and movie faster than what my old CPU did.

Here is news just in on AMD over at VR-Zone. http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-to-announce-its-future-strategy-on-october-29-2012/17551.html#

Here are a couple excerpts ".....The company is dead set on integrating both x86-64 and ARM Cortex cores, with the Cortex-M5 part already announced (x86-64 will be used for general computation, Cortex-M5 will be utilized for encryption)"......"AMD all but confirmed that the company secured design wins for all three consoles - Nintendo Wii U was already known, but Microsoft Xbox Next and PlayStation Next were obvious unknowns..."

Judging by this and other news of late, I don't think AMD is going away anytime soon...

AMD isn't going anywhere. Put it from your minds. All companies restructure. They lay off, they rehire, they do whatever it takes to increase the bottom line. That doesn't mean they're anywhere near the end.

Back