• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Best Way To Go Broke - EVGA Or ROG

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SimulatedZero

Registered
Good morning ladies and germs,

My legacy build (Gen1 Xeon x3470/ EVGA P55 SLI) finally died on me (may or may not have involved me 'tweaking' something on the mobo after a few beers). I'm sharing my wife's pc for the time being for my gaming uses. I would like my own back, lol.

TL;DR - Is it still worth it build an Intel / EVGA rig when I can nab a Ryzen 3600 and x470 board for the same or cheaper? GPU - EVGA build: 1080ti on aio | Ryzen build: Sapphire 5700xt Nitro+.

Long part:

Looking for a gaming rig for the next however many years. Mostly playing EVE Online lately, so no biggy, but I want to expand to modern titles again. If I can, I want to do a brand match build because why TF not. If I can, I can, and I can revel in my instagram glory as I eat ramen dinners 😂.

I've always wanted an EVGA Rig since the Core i series came out wayb back. But I'm looking at the price, and the performance, and man, AMD has really come along even since Ryzen 2. I mean, an R5 3600 and an I5 9500kf are the same price, but the Intel gets pegged on modern titles, even with the speed advantage. Would I really be served with an i5 or say a cheaper i7 (7700k? Maybe) and spend 1400 to 1500 on a rig, when I can rock a full ROG / Sapphire build (yes, down to the PSU...) for 1300 and end up with a potentially "better", atleast more work flow oriented, CPU. The Mobo on the AMD would be either an ROG Strix X470F or the X470 Crosshair VII Hero. I dont really need the PCI 4.0 speed. I probably wouldn't OC the AMD either, just becuase I dont see a huge gain from it over the factory boost.

But damn if the though of owning EVGA classified gear doest get me all tingly inside.

My only hold back is I've heard about some stability issues with the new Radeons. I'm also willing to go back a few gens on the intel side to help with price. But, it depends on how much of a performance loss we're talking.

I'd go Ryzen 3000 series and X570 based motherboard, the Nvidia GPU of your choice, and call it a day.

You may not 'want' some of these things, but you may want (or need) it in a few years if you keep your system as long as the one that just crapped out. Get the best you can/want to afford.

With EVGA and especially ROG, you are paying for a lot of glitz and glamour (though EVGA is plain in that respect, they add a lot of go fast bits). You barely or don't overclock...why waste the cash on the parts made for it?

I guess to clarify, I would be overclocking any Intel CPU I got. Pretty much as far as I can. AMD, I dont know as much about, but the little Ive seen shows that it's an ok boost, but not really a big difference. Could be I'm underestimating AMD in the overclocking department. What kind of gain do you think I could get?

I'm also betting on being able to push Ryzen chips faster and farther with each gen. I figured a heavy enough VRM now would save me having to change motherboards as long as they run AM4 for a couple more generations. That's my thoughts atleast.

You may not 'want' some of these things, but you may want (or need) it in a few years if you keep your system as long as the one that just crapped out. Get the best you can/want to afford.

Sound advice right there^. While my rig is technically chock full of "obsolete" parts it still rocks 1080p gaming like it did when I built it.

I'll just say this, I have just picked up an I5 9600K and it will not feed big cards gaming, maybe a 2060 but, with my 1080s in sli it's nothing but A glitchfest.
Benching it against my 8600K, what did intel improve, if anything?
As far as i'm concerned, the I5 is A no-no for gaming.

I'll just say this, I have just picked up an I5 9600K and it will not feed big cards gaming, maybe a 2060 but, with my 1080s in sli it's nothing but A glitchfest.
A glitch fest? I'm shocked. But is it a core/thread thing or clock and IPC. You know little has changed between the generations, but if the 9600k is performing worse than your 8600k, then your system isn't setup right. They should perform similarly or a little better at 1080p. Higher than that, the cpu doesnt matter much.. but with two cards...

Makes you wonder how 4790k did fine with sli of those cards....

That's surprising to hear the i5 not handling games well at all. I mean, I know it's starting to get pegged now because AAA titles are beginning to utilize multicore / threads for games these days, but I figured it would still be competitive to a degree.

I dont buy his dramatic descrption... that is also driving sli, which does take more horsepower. Wondering if it is a core count thing.

I really think it's A core count thing, even at 5 ghz, it's bad, with a single card at 1440p it's fair, but frame rates in the 40's just is not going to work.
I find it A bit odd that my 8600K at 5ghz is a bit better.

and with the 4790K I didn't run the texture packs and much fewer mods.

Last edited:
I find it A bit odd that my 8600K at 5ghz is a bit better.
As I said, it shouldnt be. They are as fast or negligibly faster. Something else is going on.

and with the 4790K I didn't run the texture packs and much fewer mods.
...apples to apples comparisons would be applicable. Apples to oranges, not so much.

I was using a 4790k as an example as there are articles out there showing sli scaling with cpus and a 4c/8t intel could handle things well enough at that time (amd, no).

EarthDog, since you're still on the thread, what's your personal take on overclocking with the newest Ryzen chips? Worthwhile or meh?

OP I saw you talk about the instability of the new AMD cards and I say to that get the Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 5700 XT. Great reviews on it on YouTube and other places. Stays cool and quiet and well works as it should. Support AMD and say no to Green Team like I have when I was Green Team all my life. AMD btw for the CPU side of things always has a long lasting upgrade path so forget Intel too who are much like Nvidia as being part of the evil empire in the pc world.

It's a shame you cant wait until Sept when AMD releases the X670 and R7/R9 4x series cpus. I waiting for the fall to upgrade, Im gona go with X670, R7 or R9, and prob a Nvidia RTX 3070

I am with Metclub. If you are sure it's the mobo, grab a cheap used one and wait a couple of months for the new products.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

As I said, it shouldnt be. They are as fast or negligibly faster. Something else is going on.

...apples to apples comparisons would be applicable. Apples to oranges, not so much.

I was using a 4790k as an example as there are articles out there showing sli scaling with cpus and a 4c/8t intel could handle things well enough at that time (amd, no).

Used to run a [email protected] with a couple of 980's in SLi, and it was scaling pretty well (4k monitor at the time, 2015 IIRC). No glitch or microstuuter, well not noticeable anyway.

If i were you, I would take up any Ryzen 3000 series up.
You have to be careful with Intel.
Intel includes a backdoor in your CPU.

Apart from that, Ryzen is way better than a comparable Intel when it comes to multi-core performance.
And its single core performance is not far from Intel as well.
AMD offers the best buck for value.
Go with an AMD in your budget.

If i were you, I would take up any Ryzen 3000 series up.
You have to be careful with Intel.
Intel includes a backdoor in your CPU.

Apart from that, Ryzen is way better than a comparable Intel when it comes to multi-core performance.
And its single core performance is not far from Intel as well.
AMD offers the best buck for value.
Go with an AMD in your budget.
A backdoor? Man, these security things from Intel, most require direct access to the machine and doesn't affect home users much. Please...

Back