• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the COLDBANGER project (my pretty custom case)!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Getting all the fans and some more random parts today. Will have more pics posted soon! Have done some more work on the case since the last update too! Stay tuned!

UPDATES!!!

Got some more parts in today... the list is getting smaller and I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Progress made since last post:

Marked the corner tubing for height and hole cutting. Will be doing this tomorrow.

Drilled cabling holes in top shelf. Still need to drill a couple more holes for cabling and the holes for the water tubing.

Installed Power / Reset switches in bottom shelf.

Roughed out the hole on the bottom shelf for the i/o panel. Will dremel out and mount unit this weekend.

Cut out the shaping for the mesh that will be under each shelf to fit the shelves.

Laid in sound matting material in bottom shelf. Will do top shelf when all holes are drilled.

Painted PSU.

Need to drill another hole next to power/reset holes for hdd LED.

I'm still making minor design changes, even this far into the build. One of the major changes is the GPU supplemental power cables will now come forward and down into the shelf near the 24pin/sata cable holes, instead of going off to the side near the USB holes.

I'll be sleeving all the USB / 1394 / power/reset LED cables on the left side just enough to make it down into the shelf. There will be no colored cabling visible anywhere on the build.

I've decided to cut out and shape the back aluminum plate myself instead of sending it off for cutting. This should save me some money and I'll just be patient and go slow with it. There are too many variables and if the hole for the input panel on the back of the motherboard is even 1/8" off, it could be bad, so I'll just keep it in house and draw / cut as I go. That way I'll make sure it's right and won't waste money if I miss one measurement that would have gotten sent to the fabrication shop. Should be picking up the aluminum next week and will break out my metal dremel bits.

PICS!!!

pusbefore.jpg
All masked up and ready to go.

psuafter.jpg
And afterwards. Much less visible under the case now.

grate1.jpg
Cutting away. This metal is super soft.

grate2.jpg
All done!

marked.jpg
Top shelf marked for drilling.

drilling.jpg
I love forstner bits!!! Couldn't have done this build without them!

plugs1.jpg
2 down, however many left to go...

plugs2.jpg
Most of the holes drilled. (will be drilling a few more this week)

front1.jpg
Front hole for the i/o panel. This hard wood seems to take about anything I throw at it!

front2.jpg
Roughed out, will finish up with the dremel.

mat1.jpg
Sound matting for the bottom shelf.

mat2.jpg
Installation.

New parts:

hddled.jpg
HDD LED will go right next to power/reset switches (this one is purple).

screws.jpg
Decided to go big and black for the motherboard screws.

topfans.jpg
LOVE these fans. Match my theme perfectly! Brushed metal and black!

radfans.jpg
8 120mm fans for push/pull on the RAD.

misc.jpg
Drain/fill connection and ANTI-KINK COILS **which have helped eliminate all 90 ells from the build!!!!**

standoffs.jpg
Painted my motherboard standoffs black... Brass?? No thank you!

So, that's about it for now. Little details keep popping up about every day on this and little things change here and there. That's what I'm loving about this project though- lots of work in the details. Should pay off though as long as I take breaks when needed instead of getting frustrated and breaking stuff!

I'll always update as I have more to post! Working on it about every day lately! :rock:

Last edited:
HELLO EVERYONE!!!!

Yes, I'm still alive and kicking.

I haven't posted in a while, for a few reasons, one, my camera charger seems to have been lost in the move, so taking pics is a bit rough when I have about 3 sec of surface charge on my battery for quick snap shots.

Found out my PSU was bad... that was $100 down the drain. I found a better one anyway, will now be using an Antec 850 (which is already black!)

I'll still give somewhat of an update and PROMISE I'll have some more pics up soon!

Build log addendum:

-drilled all holes in corner pipes for cable/tubing
-drilled the rest of the holes on the top shelf for wiring (still need to drill holes for tubing, but am waiting on water blocks first so I can line the holes up perfectly)
-painted other, small random parts (clips, spacers, etc) black
-mounted case feet on bottom of corner pipes
-finished the hole for the i/o panel on the bottom shelf and installed panel
-installed HDD LED in bottom shelf (next to switches)
-cut off bottom of external LCD display stand and glued on mount ball (to mount to corner pipe)
-installed black pin-striping around i/o panel for clean look

NEW PARTS:

-Aluminum back plate (I'll be working on design and cutting to shape here soon)
-QD for filling (Yes, I have a Res, but will be using it mostly for top-off as it is not positioned well at all for filling the loop)
-All the rest of the cabling, extensions, etc (hopefully didn't miss anything!)
-Black pin striping to go around the dvd drive and i/o panel

Again, I'll have pics up asap. Thanks for the subs and keep checkin back! Progress is being made!

Where can you get these at ???? Thanks ahead of time

Sorry, I missed your post TorqueRanger,

I got the switches at Performance-pcs.com and those particular fans and the acrylic at frozencpu.com

Well this is by far the best wood case I've ever seen, and one of the best custom cases I've seen in a while. I love the originality and choice of materials. Very nice :thup:
Where's the pump going?

Thank you very much for the compliments! I've hit a little bit of a wall here, one with my camera not able to take pictures, the other is money! I am getting some money in that is dedicated to this case here shortly and plan on having the rest of the parts available to complete the building of the case within the next month!!! Woot!

Here are some pics describing where I plan to put the pump. (I can do wood working, but am not the best at drawing)!!!

wpump1.jpg

wpump2.jpg

I'll have updates soon!!! I'm actually working on the aluminum backplate now and will start cutting it to shape here shortly ;)

Keep checking back and don't forget to subscribe!

Erik

Looking very nice,

Very nice overall design and woodwork.

I like the creativity in the DVD-ROM placement plus you have nice solid sharp lines so it really looks like it belongs there.

Keep up the good work!

OK guys!

As promised, I am not giving up on this and I'm pushing forward until it's done. Money-wise, I'm about 80% there and plan on having all the parts to completely finish the case with my next order!

The only parts left to buy are the cpu, gpu, power supply and water pump (and rad), as well as other little things that may pop up during the build like cable extensions, etc.

I've managed to mod my keyboard, mouse pad and griffin powermate to all match my purp/orange theme.

PICS!!!! (Got a new charger for the camera)!

pad1.jpg
The insides of my mouse pad LEDs getting replaced.

pad2.jpg
Yes, the top lights are purple (UV), cameras don't do well with this color.

under.jpg
Under the bottom shelf with the i/o panel and HDD LED installed.

panel1.jpg
Modding the fan controller.

panel2.jpg
Ready for the Dremel.

vol1.jpg
Griffin Powermate mod (volume knob)

vol2.jpg
Success!

vol3.jpg
MUCH better!

blocks.jpg
Water blocks, finished fan controller panel, QDC.
I may take some 320 grit to the gpu block... the chrome doesn't really match well, and yes, the LEDs in that block will either be orange or purple!

kb.jpg
This mod was super easy.

pin.jpg
Pin striping around the i/o panel (will also be around dvd drive on top shelf).

tubing2.jpg
And the corner pipes all drilled out... this is when my dremel finally started giving out... Probably going to have to get a new one ;(

I am starting the shaping of the back aluminum plate this week and, as always, will keep you guys updated to the best of my ability.

I'm getting really excited as I'm getting this close to the end of this build. Can't wait to fire it up to see how far this baby will push!

Thanks for all your support and comments!

E :santa:

Last edited:
Very nice. I feel sorry for your blades i used some purple heart in high school and that was some hard and expensive wood.

Back