• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Dremel kit for mod newbies.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slyy

Ok here's a list of dremel (let's say equipment) that will help make any pc mod a breeze. You will find these useful if you are into case modding and DIY projects. Keep in mind that these are just the basic items that I used and are not the only bits suitable for the task. So let's go:

Well since you won’t get anywhere reading this without a rotary tool lets pick out a few

Advantage Rotary Saw™ 9000-(series) ex: 9000-04
Personally (the one I own), you just can't go wrong with this one. It features various speed controls (10,000-35,000 rpm) and includes an adjustable depth cutting guide attachment! This tool accepts bits from 1/4" and 1/8" capacity. The 9000-04 kit includes: (1) 9000series Advantage Rotary Saw Tool with storage case, (2) #9010 drywall bits, (1) #9011 general purpose bit and (1) Collet wrench. When it comes to modding the speed of your tool is critical as you will find that different areas of your case will absolutely refuse to be penetrated by slow speeds in particularly the top. The cutter guide will insure that you never drill or cut too deep. The 9000 series is the largest of the hand held rotary tool offered by Dremel although at times it can be quite bulky, its handle can be removed to slim down the size of the tool for better use especially in small spaces.

Variable-Speed MultiPro® Rotary Tool 395
This rotary tool is simply a smaller sized Advantage Rotary Saw™. It offers the same variations in speed (5,000-35,000 rpm) but with a much smaller and easier grip. This tool however offers more attachments and the attachments are much easier to find at a local store such as Wal-Mart or Home Depot.

Single-Speed MultiPro® Rotary Tool 275-02
Well this is it! When you absolutely can't afford the more expensive 9000series or the 395 go for the 275. There's one catch. This one's a single speed. What that means for you is an on and off switch but hey it's a Dremel and it will get the job done. You could always purchase a 221 Foot Speed Control later on which will give you the same speed advantages of the 9000series and the 395.

Flex-Shaft Attachment 225 or 961-01
Just and you swear up and down that you need a rotary tool, I can assure you that you WILL need a flex shaft. This attachment attaches to the end of your dremel and will help you in more precise and small areas. It will no doubt help you with you projects final outlook not to mention that if you r planning on a DIY window or window etching this is the way to go.

------------------------------------------
Attachments
Cutting Guide Attachment
Ok here's a biggie. You can choose to skip this one if you have the perfect hands and we all know you don't. This attachment will help you from cutting through the top of that case or side panel to gutting out that new copper water block that you have been dying to get to work on.
Plunge Router Attachment 963-01

Ok so now that we've got rotary's and attachments out of the way let's talk bits!

Cutting
456, 426, 540, 420 and the 409
These a great inside your kit performing various task from cutting off that piece of bar stock or acrylic to slight grinding (yeah yeah I know, but when you have broken that last cutter and your pockets are empty you'll learn how multi-tasked each individual bit really is). You’ll probably break more trying to learn when to use it than you will actually getting the job done but hey practice makes perfect or at least something close to it.

Gutting
115-117, 193, 194 and 196
These bits and bits like it are perfect for gutting that water block that we discussed earlier. After spending hours on line and reading up on the DIY's and specs of other water blocks I a saw many blocks that had been drilled on a press with numerous wholes. I refuse to let my first block go down like that even if it was just my practice block. I completed my block with (2) #115 bits. That’s about $7 USD for a smooth gut.

Sanding and finishing
8153, 8175, 921 and 932
When it comes to putting the finishing touches on you project you absolutely must sand/ grind. These bits can be used to do multiple projects. Let us start with the obvious –grinding. Shaping your windows edge, smoothing the sharp or rough edges off of your project is a breeze. Using finer grains of sand will produce a softer and brighter shine to all finishes. When it comes to grit make no mistake about it these are high quality and very durable sanding bits.

Your projects aren’t limited to these bits but will definitely get your started and in most cases finish its job hours before you finish yours. Pictures and other helpful information can be found about these on http://www.dremel.com/html/owners_club/index_fr.html
Anyone else here a Dremel lover, feel free to add more bits that you own here and when I revise this thread I’ll be sure include it along with credit.

Last edited:
lol it just so happens i went out last night and got a dremel so i can mod cases . got some nice titanium coated cutters and aluminum grinder bits and the dril press ( for other things also)

unfortunately i cant really get a lian li case here in japan because they dont sell them here and shipping is a very expencive option so i will get an owltech case ( looks like lian li construction to me) and try out my new tools.

i might end up cutting out 65% of the bottom of the case for a highly specialized radiator for cooling .

anyone got any info on working with acrylics using a dremel other than low speed so not to melt plastic at point of contact?
(probly gonna make my own reseviors also)

Well, in my experience with acrylics and dremel the high speeds will cause slight melting on acrylic surfaces with any bit you use if you are cutting your window with the rotary tool. This is nothing that sandind our edges won't fix at like 300+ grit. However if you are etching your window, go for the engraving bits. One good engraving bit I've found for window engraving is Dremel bit #118.

For engraving I use a #107 engraving bit for doing the outline of the design, and then I really dig the stuff out using a #100 engraving bit.

Nice guide btw, you might wanna add something about the B&D version, my brother has one and it seems to work failrly well also.

Well, there is already a Dremel Guide sticky. Maybe this information can just be re-posted there.

Also, for those of us in the USA, I posted a link to some guy that sells official Dremel tools and accessories for pretty cheap. He's a reseller and also has a site, but his ebay auctions are a much better deal.

GameFAQsRolo said:

Also, for those of us in the USA, I posted a link to some guy that sells official Dremel tools and accessories for pretty cheap. He's a reseller and also has a site, but his ebay auctions are a much better deal.

Well that's great if there is already a dremel guide out there. I didn't see it but why not just repost the link to the guy who sells dremels? The whole point of my post for was info.

Back