I bought a DVD rom from one of my friends who was having intermittent problems with it for $30. After using it for a while I noticed some similar problems so I investigated. The case of the DVD was getting quite hot, so I opened the bottom of the case and saw a bunch of chips. When I felt them they weren't hot at all, so I installed it upside down and copied some files from it and felt the chips. OUCH!!!!! One of them burned my finger. I realized that I had my old chipset heat sink from my a7v133 and did the old arctic silver/superglue trick on it... THe result was that I can now copy files from the DVD much quicker. I will have to do some more testing, but my preliminary results have been good. Wish I still had that digital camera that I borrowed for the article I wrote for this site a little while ago.