• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The most interesting "overclock" I've ever done

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Caravan

Registered
I bought a DVD rom from one of my friends who was having intermittent problems with it for $30. After using it for a while I noticed some similar problems so I investigated. The case of the DVD was getting quite hot, so I opened the bottom of the case and saw a bunch of chips. When I felt them they weren't hot at all, so I installed it upside down and copied some files from it and felt the chips. OUCH!!!!! One of them burned my finger. I realized that I had my old chipset heat sink from my a7v133 and did the old arctic silver/superglue trick on it... THe result was that I can now copy files from the DVD much quicker. I will have to do some more testing, but my preliminary results have been good. Wish I still had that digital camera that I borrowed for the article I wrote for this site a little while ago.

Very innovative. The manufacturer should of done some more R&D. You ought to let them know you can increase the performance and see if they will pay for the info.

It's a slightly older model. They are still making it, but I doubt for long. This thing can be had for under $50 at Mwave. It's an Aopen 12x. I don't know if this problem is just with this one that I have or if it's in the model.

Back