• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED The myth about AMD and Gaming!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ajay57

I want to show the AMD SECTION that's its not all doom and gloom about Gaming with AMD CPU'S! Yes i have a Intel set up but i am neutral and not a Fanboy as they say in web sites. What am i trying to do with this have serious debate about it all. I hope the members will engage and take this on-board? AJ. ;) :thup:

Hokie has done some testing already on our Frontpage (with comments thread). Good link to add to that comments thread where there is already discussion going on.

Not that many, who know anything at least, disagree with your assertion in the first place. :)

Last edited:
Pft, the thing that bothers me is people keep raving about power use, and then they go and buy a bronze rated or lower power supply. If it really is that important then they'd buy a platinum or gold rated PSU. If touting it as an advantage and then buying an in inefficent PSU it sort of indicates double standards..... Of course, my buying AMD and then buying a Platinum rted PSU indicates double standards on my behalf too ;)

I figure that using a platinum rated unit should even out my power use a little.... I'm with AMD for now, will upgrade to a FX8350 soonish.... Getting curious about Intel chips though for some reason I enjoy buying from the underdog.... If VIA would just release something half decent then I'd buy something from them too. They're the only other x86 licensee after all :shrug:

Last edited:
lol +1 i think some one calculated the difference and youd pay more for the platinum psu than the difference of the power youd save from it, the difference is negligible a few dollars i believe.

I personally buy both. My main system is a 3770k, but I also own 3570k, 955 black, and yes 2 1090t, which till this day is the best processor. The 1090 kicks ***. As for now I do get better performance, but for a majority of people, we will never really be able to tell the difference, so save some money, and have a **** load of fun building. Great youtube video by the way!!!!

^^^ Lol, yup. Pasted it on my Facebook page.... All the haters will leave comments on there :p

Well guy's just wanted to start a debate and show through the video there are still advantages running a AMD system for playing games! And its not always the case you have to go down the Intel route just to be able to play games? And as the guy said this is the first video he has completed and is going to test and post more later. AJ. :thup: ;)

p.s. As members have pointed out if its put together properly with high grade parts it will work really well. And not with cheap Mobo's and PSU'S! :attn:

Pft, the thing that bothers me is people keep raving about power use, and then they go and buy a bronze rated or lower power supply. If it really is that important then they'd buy a platinum or gold rated PSU. If touting it as an advantage and then buying an in inefficent PSU it sort of indicates double standards..... Of course, my buying AMD and then buying a Platinum rted PSU indicates double standards on my behalf too ;)

I figure that using a platinum rated unit should even out my power use a little.... I'm with AMD for now, will upgrade to a FX8350 soonish.... Getting curious about Intel chips though for some reason I enjoy buying from the underdog.... If VIA would just release something half decent then I'd buy something from them too. They're the only other x86 licensee after all :shrug:

This right here is what makes me grin when the IVB community gives me the snooty look when I tell him I have two rigs running FX-83xx parts.

I'm thinking, with my gold and plat rated PSUs running "just enough" power draw, I'm probably drawing less than they are at the wall with their Sparkazzle Derpatron 1400w wasto-matics.

As for VIA, their new little quad-core processor is pretty damn amazing for a 27w TDP. I haven't gotten to extensivly test VIA processors (Though they did send me a nano-e), but they are interesting. Give very "smooth" performance, kind of like how the new AMD processors make computing feel almost greasy haha

I'm not partial to a particular brand (Except for my beloved nVidia.. even then I will conceed ATI / AMD won this round and get my reccomendation), but I am a bit sad with AMD at the moment. Come on Steamroller!

Hows it going Anonaru nice to see you post you take care respect. Philip.

Thanks for the vid Ajay, AMD needs a little pat on the back once in a while. :thup:

Yeah i like the part where he says i am going to open a can yeah a can of WORMS !!! lol. AJ.:D :rofl:

Sorry just the boyish humor it comes out!!!

Last edited:
The difference in stock wattage between a 8350 and a 3770k is ~70w.
The difference between a single GPU system with a Bronze PSU and a single GPU with a Platinum PSU is ~30w.

PSU based power savings get pretty minimal once above Bronze. Bronze is great compared to a non-80+, but anything 80+ is great compared to that.

The power difference between 3770k and 8150/8350 will cost significantly more money than the difference between a bronze and a platinum. You'll need a ~800w(dc) load to get the PSU up to the point of equalizing things.

In short, being snooty at IB people with Bronze PSUs isn't going to work out well, I don't recommend it. They're still using less power than BD/PD people with platinum units.
(Sidenote: Saying that all IB people use 1400w PSUs is just silly, and wrong. Excessive PSU wattage is a plague on all sides of the fence.)

Being snooty doesn't work well in either direction, really.

Now is the difference in chip power going to cost you much money? Not really. OC the balls off both and it'll grow to closer to 100w difference. Do that for ten hours and you have 1kwh. Do it while running the AC and you have ~1.6kwh.
Not huge.

Maybe this thread has drifted a bit it was to inform that AMD in gaming was not all doom and gloom! So please i think we need to be less Fanboy and more debate else the video i posted comes to nothing? AJ.

p.s. We are here to inform new members that AMD Systems can work with Gaming!

My main rig is a relatively high end LGA2011 build, so when I was building a 2nd rig, I could have easily gone Ivy Bridge, but where is the fun in that? I have another backup rig with an old C2Q X9650, so the thought of yet another Intel build did not appeal to me, so I went the BD route. I had decided on a higher end AMD rig so I got an Asus CHV Formula, FX8120, 8GB OCZ 1600mhz RAM, 2x GTX670, Corsair HX1050 (originally a Bronze rated Seasonic SS-850AT PSU). So far, I can honestly I am enjoying this system. Games run just fine, and the CPU which I've running @3.7ghz handles all the games I have thrown at it with ease, and I do have wide variety of mainly FPS games, though I do dabble with 3PS and heck, I have Diablo 3 installed as well. Absolutely no fps issue at all.

The difference in stock wattage between a 8350 and a 3770k is ~70w.
The difference between a single GPU system with a Bronze PSU and a single GPU with a Platinum PSU is ~30w.

PSU based power savings get pretty minimal once above Bronze. Bronze is great compared to a non-80+, but anything 80+ is great compared to that.

The power difference between 3770k and 8150/8350 will cost significantly more money than the difference between a bronze and a platinum. You'll need a ~800w(dc) load to get the PSU up to the point of equalizing things.

In short, being snooty at IB people with Bronze PSUs isn't going to work out well, I don't recommend it. They're still using less power than BD/PD people with platinum units.
(Sidenote: Saying that all IB people use 1400w PSUs is just silly, and wrong. Excessive PSU wattage is a plague on all sides of the fence.)

Being snooty doesn't work well in either direction, really.

Now is the difference in chip power going to cost you much money? Not really. OC the balls off both and it'll grow to closer to 100w difference. Do that for ten hours and you have 1kwh. Do it while running the AC and you have ~1.6kwh.
Not huge.

I'm only referring to the ones who DO such things vs a person like me who stands against such things, and only in jest-- I got nothing against IVB users, SB users, etc, as I'm in their ranks, having a SB rig of my own, and a delidded IVB one for benching / folding / display at the shop

Just for teh luls, not to actually have at people, I know the numbers stand to show an 8350 eats more power regardless, but its funny to think about the uber-fanboys who are all-too-often guilty of buying a hardcore nope PSU then snorking at your inefficient processor :D

All my digress aside, AMD isn't bad for gaming. Intel obviously has its advantages, but my AMD rigs do just fine in every game I play, even in multiple-monitor configurations. Its not THAT big of a deal!

Nah, I just believe that if power savings is really what its about, you'll go Intel plus a platinum PSU. Personally I don't care about a few dollars in the power bill.... Actually, I don't particularly care about the planet either.... I just like the idea of a Platinum rated PSU....

Nah, I just believe that if power savings is really what its about, you'll go Intel plus a platinum PSU. Personally I don't care about a few dollars in the power bill.... Actually, I don't particularly care about the planet either.... I just like the idea of a Platinum rated PSU....

Planets, man, who needs 'em?

I've always built intel for my self, if someone wants' AMD I go along with it and help them out.:)

Back