• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the new duron 1600+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Woohhoooo!
266MHz Durons. Looks like AMD answered our prayers :D

Will the P4 architecture Celerons get the same bus speed advantages, or will they hold it back like the PIII architecture Celerons? The Durons have historically had an advantage over the Celerons due to better bus speeds.

Greg M said:
Will the P4 architecture Celerons get the same bus speed advantages, or will they hold it back like the PIII architecture Celerons? The Durons have historically had an advantage over the Celerons due to better bus speeds.

I think, seeing as the platform is Socket 478, that the Celerons will be a 400MHz bus. I think thats all the i850, i840, and i840-D support.

Greg M said:

Actually the old Durons have the same FSB as the celerons 100(x2)MHz.
But the new ones will have 133(x2). I dunno what about u, but I like the fact that when the CPU is locked and its FSB is 100 u have a larger headroom for OC...
Like my durons multi is x8 I run it for a long time at 130x8 but I wouldn't be able to do the same thing if it was 133FSB chip, case my mem would go as high as 135MHz... LOL

So the new 478-pin 1.7Ghz Celerons comming out will be based on the older .18m Willamatte P4 core instead of the new .13m Northwood core. That's good for the new 266fsb Durons comming soon. This means that the Duron proceesors will still have a 32K more cache than the upcomming intel Celeron Willamettes. The Celeron Tualatins cores have 288K of total cache and the Durons only have 192K of total cache.:eh?:

There is a GOD!

I was just about to ditch my duron and get a t-bred, but now, i think i'll wait, save my self a few hundred bucks and get a duron, i'm so glad they finally moved to the 266 bus, it has been holding the durons back in the memory benchmarks, i think i'll kepp o/c durons till i die! :)

Back