• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The New Rig... X2 3800+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
deathman20 said:
Oh case it should be in my sig, if it isn't its a Antec Super LanBoy

Any pics are fine, I just like seeing pics of peoples new builds. BTW, the Lanboy is a nice case, but I'm sure you know that already :p .

Ok Heres the pics :) Took a little longer then I thought but lots of benches was run. NOT prime tested yet at least.

11b6633b.jpg

01a4957d.jpg

Oh ya video card, an X1800XT

Well 2.6 is not stable at all, even with higher voltages :( So I might just be stuck at around 2.5Ghz overall.

Heres some settings that I have going for me now, prime stable for 2+ Hours and Memtest stable for 4 Hours.

Dram: 200mghz 1:1
CPC: Enabled
Tcl: 3
Trcd: 3
Tras: 8
Trp: 3
Trc: 11
Trfc: 15
Trrd: 3
Twr: 3
Twtr: 2
Trwt: 3
Tref: 3120
Bank int.: Enable

Skew control: inc.
Skew Value: 150
Drive strength: 5
Data strength: 1
Max. Async: 8ns
Dram Response Time: Fastest
Read Preamble: 5
Idle Cycle: 128
Dyn. Counter: Disable
R/W Bypass: 16x
Bypass Max: 5x
32Bit Gran.: Disable

CPU Voltage Settings etc:
CPU: 295 x 8.5 = 2507.5mhz : idle> 27C Load> 39C
CPU Vid: 1.5v
LDT/FSB: 3x
LDT: 1.3v
Chipset: 1.5v
VDimm: 2.8v

And now the new pictures of the results from the new clock change and memory settings.

216653ae.jpg
33290fca.jpg

Going to try priming her all night and see what the morning brings for new results :)

According to the SN, your X2 was fabricated about the same time as mine.

Mine does 2.6GHz at 1.456, however core-0 is only 4:30 Prime95 stable. I have to jump to 1.48 to get core-0 stable at 2.6Ghz.

looking good deathman - we always seem to end up with almost identical rigs :D Im afraid I didnt have the patience to wait for the x1800xt to arrive tho :)

InfiniteThought said:
According to the SN, your X2 was fabricated about the same time as mine.
Mine does 2.6GHz at 1.456, however core-0 is only 4:30 Prime95 stable. I have to jump to 1.48 to get core-0 stable at 2.6Ghz.
Ya Core-1 is giving me the issues. Core-2 is perfectly stable at 1.456v in windows though. Bumped it up to 1.488V windows (1.525V Bios) and see where it takes me.

PWatterson said:
Does where the cheese heads live = Somewhere in Wisconsin (BIG packer fan)?

Ya live in wisconsin, over in the Madison area. I'm a packer fan I wouldn't consider big but at least I admit they are playing like crap this year. Strange thing I never watched football til I was really in college, and now I never miss a packer game, wierd.

Vrykyl said:
looking good deathman - we always seem to end up with almost identical rigs :D Im afraid I didnt have the patience to wait for the x1800xt to arrive tho :)

LOL This is what the 2nd or 3rd time this has happened? :) Crazy stuff man crazy. I'm patient since well I thought I had to pay for this rig right away, well I got til December now, it got billed a day late on my credit card, so I have a month to spare hehe, now if I can just sell my other rig.

Anyways looks like im hitting a brick wall for 2.6Ghz, but I did meet my goal of at least 2.5 :) Yay so I'm happy about that. And the rig benches are right in line with the speed increases so that looks great also. My guess is that I'll be sitting at this speed for a wee bit while she breaks in.

same has happened with my rig, after much tweaking, 1 core is stable at 2.55 while other is 2.75....so I am happy at 2.5 as well

Can't find anything for results of my last CPU man. I know I didn't have any PI results though it was all sandra scores and results. It did scores slightly better then the 3.2Ghz P4's though back when I did have the tests, which now is nearly 2 years ago.

Bummer. Although I could always do those benchmarks on my rig (since it is virtually the same as your old one) and compare them to what you're getting with your new setup.

Sounds like things are coming along nicely :) How do you feel it compares now with your OC vs. your old machine?

Chaos_Being said:
Bummer. Although I could always do those benchmarks on my rig (since it is virtually the same as your old one) and compare them to what you're getting with your new setup.

Sounds like things are coming along nicely :) How do you feel it compares now with your OC vs. your old machine?

Bummer that it is. One note was that I'm getting much higher bandwidth on my ram now :) Was only in the 4gig range with my other rig, if that will help more or not overall preformance im getting more now :)

Overall system feel, snappier, defintaly more responsive. Boots faster, which is a huge suprise considering im not using my 36.7Gig Raptor anymore as my primary boot drive. I definatly see it as an improvement which is what I was aiming for even though I was planining of upgrading mid next year with the M2 socket, I just couldn't wait any longer. System overall runs cooler, and well im not using my noisy 450W PSU anymore (1 fan was louder then my whole system).

Installation was easier also, no need to run around and get 4-5 drivers and make sure they where up to date. It comes bundled as 1 package which I feel is a great improvment if your installing your system left and right.

I more test needs to be done, and thats a 3D max test compared to me old system and see how fast it renders on my computer now compared to before. I'll be running that later after I finish transfering files over from my old HDD's.

Well tried testing it again last night. Core 1 is the iffy core totally. I tried taking her to 2.55Ghz and it crapped out @ 1.55V Bios and I already know the core fails @ 2.6Ghz with 1.612V (1.55 * 104%).

Now either prime doesn't like it all that much, which is possible, but everything else I try seems totally stable. And it always seems to die around the 55-65min mark on that core when I try going higher.

Anyone suggest another program to test stability? Would Super PI (2 instances) running a 32M bench be a good test to try?

Nope selling my raptor. I needed more space and wanted less harddrives in my case so I'm getting rid of it.

Cemson said:
cool overclock result.

Do u feel it faster than Intel system?

Well roughly in PR terms its 20% faster by default at this OC speed. Truely overall yes I think its faster, snappier and such.

Now when I had my P4 system compared to my other AMD system (2400+ @ 2.2Ghz) The P4 was snappier considerably, but yet during some rendering jobs I did on that computer, it ended up being faster then my P4 setup. I think the Hyperthreading/extra CPU help considerably for keeping the system snappy.

Chaos_Being: Did you ever happen to run some tests on your system to see how it compares? I mean really it truely was the exact same system.

Anyways been at this speed nearing 2 weeks. So I think I'll mess with it a little :) Great joys of having the bios reload feautre hehe I know it works save it go and try something else. Going to see if I can push it more later this week.

deathman20 said:
Well tried testing it again last night. Core 1 is the iffy core totally. I tried taking her to 2.55Ghz and it crapped out @ 1.55V Bios and I already know the core fails @ 2.6Ghz with 1.612V (1.55 * 104%).

Now either prime doesn't like it all that much, which is possible, but everything else I try seems totally stable. And it always seems to die around the 55-65min mark on that core when I try going higher.

Anyone suggest another program to test stability? Would Super PI (2 instances) running a 32M bench be a good test to try?

How are the temps going? Mine makes errors around certain temperature thresholds. 55 is one, 50 is one, 45 is one, and 35 is another all depending on how high I take it.

Temps don't seem to be an issue for me at all. I get low 40's if I bump it up to ~1.65 range. But i'm going to try and see if the memory controller is holding me back from going higher, dropping my ram speed and increasing the multipler when I get a chance to hopfully tonight.

Hmmm well tried some things. It truely doesn't seem to like higher multi's 9.5 or 10 is an instant crash even with more voltage and the memory lower running at 2.5Ghz let alone anything higher. 9 I know runs 2.5Ghz but it won't go any higher either well with much in the terms of gains.

8.5 x 295 seems to be my sweet spot, gets the most out of my ram that I've tested currently and yeilds the highest speed (I try to stick close to as even numbers as I can). Oh well it was worth a try, at least if I want to try next I can drop the voltage more.

BTW CPU 39C on load, 46C on PWM, and 39C on Chipset.

Chipset use to be around mid 40's til I put a fan thats blowing up at the video card, which I'm guessing its getting some of the air from that to give it a little chill.

And as I said before 2.5Ghz was a goal and got it. Truely how can I complain? A $340 chip doing more then what a $800+ chip does, thats fine by me :) Exactly the same as my video card, $200+ cheaper and it does the same speed fine.

Back