• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Official Q9450/X3350 Overclocking Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've got a feeling the Q9450's might be breathed new life with the P45 chipset...if they can work the wonders they seem to have for dual cores' FSB, they could do the same for quads.

I've got a feeling the Q9450's might be breathed new life with the P45 chipset...if they can work the wonders they seem to have for dual cores' FSB, they could do the same for quads.

How high are the P45 chipset's running for dual cores':beer:

How can you tell if you hit the FSB Wall

has anyone here tried overclocking the Q9450 on a P5E3 Premium. if so, please, please post your bios settings if you have it running stable (preferably on Bios v0503). i've never overclocked, so i'd like to get things right the first time.

Last edited:
Question?

Does anyone use a combination of the asus p5k pro , q9450, 4 x 1 gb ddr2 800 (corsair twin2x pc6400 4-4-4-12) . i managed to run it stable on 2,81 Ghz, but i can't seem to get it a bit higher. I'm kind of new in the OC-business. so a little help would be verry welcome !
I'm trying to get it to 3.0- 3.2 , and i ain't planning to take it to the max.

:)

I have a Gigabyte EP45-DS3R and Q9450 and I can boot into Windows @ 8x 475 = 3.8GHz, but totally unstable. Starting Prime95's blend test kills it.

When I have proper cooling I hope to hit at least 3.6GHz stable but for now I'm hovering around 3.4GHz max stable OC, load temps during Prime95 through the roof though, over 80C! :eek: If a new heatsink wasn't arriving in a day or two I would reseat my current one & give it new AS5.

I'm glad I read a lot of rumours about this chip being a poor overclocker as I had very low expectations of it. I think the P45 board helps.

How is your CPU voltage so low! I needed 1.36V for 3.7Ghz. Is it stable then? Mine seems to be, but My FSB wall is around 3.75Ghz but it posts up to 4.2Ghz then never reaches logon screen :(

I don't think my result is that bad when considering I am using 780i vs intel chipset

Yes it was stable but I had to up FSB and MCH voltages a lot and since my board doesn't show the voltages anywhere I didn't feel comfortable running at that speed. So I only run 455 FSB now.

I was never able to go anything higher than 463 FSB though.

I dunno, Jason4207 mentioned this same thing so I've been out looking -- and I've really not seen anything that inspiring. My X38 ran an E6650 at 600FSB x 6 with absolutely stock voltages across the board (except RAM because my DDR2-800 was being asked to perform at 1200Mhz). This was with two 3870's and four memory chips filling up the board, so there was plenty of stress on the motherboard.

The same board ran an E8400 at 585 x 7 at all stock volts as well, again with the ram being the exception as it was being overclocked by 45%. This board is quite obviously capable of and willing to perform at ridiculous amounts of FSB speed.

And yet, I'm stuck at ~460FSB just like nearly everyone else with one of these quads. I really don't think the wall is in the northbridge per-se, I think it's in the chip. Perhaps I can be proven wrong and the P45 can come save us all :beer: but it isn't going to surprise me if/when it doesn't happen.

I don't seem to have a FSB, in terms of booting to windows, in prime 95, maybe...

Anyway so, i've got my new Q9450, it's stable at 3.6ghz (prime 8 hours) with 1.2625 V in BIOS without LLC enabled. In that case, the only settings i changed were the CPU voltage and the FSB speeds, nothing else. (e.g. no VTT/GTL/NB Voltage)

So now i'm trying to get it stable at 3.8ghz. It boots to windows fine with 1.33 V in BIOS (CPU-Z reports 1.288 V). However, the first 2 cores fail Prime Small FFt's immediately (the others don't).

Now, i tried tweaking the GTL/VTT/NB voltage settings, however, anything above stock NB voltage (1.10 V) causes my system not to boot (no post even). This is the same with the VTT voltage, anything above 1.10 V and it doesn't post.

Any ideas why, and how to get my system stable?

Other information: Realtemp reports average of 60 C under prime full load at 3.6ghz, and my room temp is currently 23 C

System Specs:
-Asus P5Q-E
-Q9450
-4gb 1066mhz Corsair Dominators
-Nvidia Geforce 6800 (Sucky i know, ima get a 4870 soon enough)
-Xigmatek S1283 (with bracket and AS5)
-Antec 1200 Case (Fan's are all on max)

Help is appreciated, thanks

Suicide run, bonzai!!!!

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=390599

That magic 4.0GHz mark... makes me want to shed a tear. If only she were stable. ;-)

edit: should I try to stabilize this? i guess i have a good q9450 so i should put it to work. i can get prime stable @ 3.8 without trouble, but to even boot at 4.0 i need to push vcore to ~ 1.46 (BIOS, 1.40-1.42 after vdrop), vtt to 1.34, pll to 1.61, and mch core to 1.34. prime95 @ 4.0 causes bsod or near instant freeze. anyone know the max safe vtt? (a qx9xxx was killed w/ 1.5 i think) My FSB doesn't seem to be the limiting factor, should I up mch core? max safe mch core?!

Last edited:
The Vcore is already above the max, 1.36V should be used if you want a better chance of the processor living longer. I wish I could get 3.8Ghz stable, but it freezes instantly. I think that is because my board has a large Vdroop of .6V which probably causes instability. I will see if I can enable loadline calibration and then see what I can OC to. GTL reference voltages can help if you have them, not sure how to set them though :S

I too have a bad vdrop/droop, about 0.5/0.5-0.7 respectively. 1.46 = 1.40-1.41 idle & ~ 1.34 load. That's why I'm not worried about short runs at 1.46 BIOS. Wish I had load line calibration! I'm probably not going to operate over 1.40 idle CPU-Z reading for every day use, but I'm not worried about going up to 1.5 or so (BIOS) for short runs as I don't think my CPU will fry at 1.45 idle, actual voltage, after a few minutes or even a whole day.

I haven't touched reference voltages, I should try to stabilize it at higher clocks with those instead of just throwing vcore + vtt at it.

At 485 on 1.45v BIOS I'm prime95 (blend) stable for an hour now. :santa:

Yea, try tweaking those GTL voltages, they can do wonders.

Also, can you do small ffts? Puts more load on the system, you'd fail sooner there.

Also =P, 1.3625 i believe is the max voltage specification given by intel for 45nm, so basicly you don't want to have anything above that at idle, but hey, it's your processor.

And finally, Badbonji, did you tweak GTL/VTT voltages to get 3.7 stable? How much? I've got mine almost stable at 3.7, just that i have a "bum" core that always fails (Core 1) and i've been trying to fiddle with GTL/VTT to improve it's stability. I've only had minor progress so far though.

Last edited:
The blend test does small ffts. That's when my hottest cores hit 67C. Or am I missing something?

I have just received a Q9450 (BX80569Q9450 #L817A344 ver.E34934-001 Pack date: 06/13/08). It says 1.25v max...VID? I have just started the build but I am interested to see how well the Yorkie is compared to my Q6600. This will be a work build for a friend so the OC will be moderate and stability will paramount.

It is going on a ASUS P5Q pro with 2gbx2 G.Skill PC 8500 (5-5-5-5-15) memory. The rest of the build is:
Xigmatek cooler
Antec 900
PCP&P 610
Zotac 8800 GT 512
Seagate 750gbx2 Raid1
Mulicard reader
22" Acer LCDx2
Samsug SATA DVDx2
XP pro

I haven't used an ASUS board before (mainly MSI and Gigabyte) and I had originally recommended a Q6600 as a lot of peeps seem down on the Q9450 but she needed the SSE4. So any comments or suggestions about tweaking the Q9450 OC or bios settings are appreciated.

Hey, crax, thats the same batch i got, i'd love to see what you are able to do on it. Tell me if your Core 1 is a "bum" core. Mine sure is... Even when i doesn't fail prime, it's always like 6 tests behind.

Back