• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the ominous 14-22second media player lag. whats up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Careface

heya, ive been meaning to post this for a while, but never got around to it. it goes like this, i go to open up a new mp3 to play or w/e, and it plays fine, no problem. then when the time gets to 14seconds media player lags and doesnt update (the music still plays, but media player is unresponsive) the visualization, progress bar or anything. then at 22seconds everything is fine again. this problem doesnt happen with playlists, only with single files (which i use more than playlists, as they can get rather old :p).

Just wondering what the problem could be, ive reinstalled numerous times (im using mp10, though it happens with 9), ive checked running processes and theres nothing unnormal: 3-5% cpu usage for media player, and the rest is devoted to SETI (this also isnt the problem, as ive closed it before to check).

Any ideas as to what this could be? i guess its just one of those little annoying things that id rather be without.. you know the ones im talking about :p. anyway, thanks in advance

Careface*

yes im using onboard sound, on the DFI lanparty SLI-DR, its happened before this too when i had an old ISA ESS1868 card.. i would use winamp, but i cant stand the layout of it.. the only reason i have it there is to play ogg/umx files (for unreal tournament), but ill keep that suggestion in mind nonetheless :p

Careface*

No problem. It's a stripped down old-school windows media player. It has play and stop, if I remember right. You can use it for all kinds of formats though so anything that doesn't play right, you can use it.

WMP10 does it too me when I start to play a MP3 file it's play the file then everything will stop for about 10 secs. The visualization and the progress bar only to catch it's self up later. It does it when I play one of my playlists like Dance music really strange could be onboard sound I suppose.

Google 'Media Player Classic' -> it's a stripped-down version of Window's media player with a ton of DVD-specific functions and a very small RAM footprint. With the right codecs it'll pretty much play anything, video and/or audio. I used to use winamp but it takes too long to load video in comparison.

Back