• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Pentium-m Thread!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Bianas
Dothan
Sonoma
How do I know what core I am getting?
I have seen
pentium-m
pentium-m 350
pentium-m 715

which is which, I am guessing bianas is the pentuim m since it is the one with 1 meg L2 cache

thanks, kind of specific to the R51 laptop

I'd mosey on over to this page for the pentium m chips, to this page for the pentium 4-m, and this page for the "mobile pentium 4". Oh, and go here

If you have a choice, you'll want to avoid the pentium 4-m and mobile pentium 4. Also, note that so far as I can tell, there's no such thing as a pentium m 350. However, there is a Celeron M 350. Surprisingly enough, the Celeron M line is actually fairly decent. Same architecture as Pentium M but with less L2 cache and a few fewer features. A laptop with a Celeron M should be able to be upgraded to a Pentium M.

Here's a general summary:

Pentium M: (If no 3-digit number, it's a Banias with a 512-kB L2 cache and higher power consumption characteristics)
Pentium M 7x5, 1 <= x <= 9: Dothan core with 2MB L2.
Pentium M 7x8: low-voltage with varying cores
Pentium M 7x3: ultra low-voltage with varying cores.

Celeron M 3x0, 1 <= x <= 4: Banias-like core with 512KB L2.
Celeron M 3x0, 5 <= x <= 9: Dothan-like core with 1MB L2.
Celeron M 3x3: ultra low-voltage Celeron M, varying cores

Pentium M Sonoma: That will be based on a 65nm technology and undoubtably have larger L2 cache and maybe multiple cores. At any rate, they aren't for sale yet, so it's futuretech and largely irrelevant to current laptop purchases.

So, if you do indeed go with a Celeron M, make sure it's 350 or greater. But I'd personally recommend a Pentium M 715 or greater. (I myself just ordered one with a Pentium M 715, the lowest speed Dothan core chip.)

I hope this helps. -- Paul

I guess I will have to add model numbers to my guide....

there is quite a few links that have the model numbers listed FYI

if the model number ends in 0 then it's a sonoma core chip or (sonoma celeron) (533mhz)

if it ends in 5 then it's a dothan (400 mhz) 2 megs l2

if it has no number then it's a bianas...

model numbers ending in 8 are low voltage

and model numbers ending in 3 are ultra low voltage...

I just caught an error in my guide... i have bianas chips listed as having model numbers...

Pentium M Sonoma: That will be based on a 65nm technology and undoubtably have larger L2 cache and maybe multiple cores. At any rate, they aren't for sale yet, so it's futuretech and largely irrelevant to current laptop purchases.

it won't be called sonoma anymore... taking quote from my guide reveals...
The next Generation of centrino is expected toward the end of this year... this new generation is codenamed napa and is to be a dual core chip.

Last edited:
Question : My Dell M70 laptop is supposed to be a Pentium M 750, but CPUZ is reporting it as a Pentium M 745.

From what I can tell
M750
1.86Ghz
533Mhz Bus
(wich matches mine)

M745
1.80Ghz
400Mhz Bus

Is there something funny going on or is CPUZ just reporting the wrong CPU.

Also I found this Link
Some good info there.

EDIT : Nevermind I ws using CPUZ v1.27, v1.28 just came out a few days ago and now reads it correctly as a Pentium M 750, Thanks ozzlo

Last edited:
That website review was like made right when the first pentium-m's where comming out... it's all bout the bianas core...

something sounds freaky with cpu-z maybe try a different or updated version...

My bad on the Sonoma deal. For some reason, I had thought that since they had the same core (but just clocked to different bus speeds), they would bear the same name. Since I thought they were both Dothan, I confused Sonoma with the upcoming Napa. yick.

I'll gladly go up and edit my post to include your insight or delete it outright. Whichever you prefer. -- Paul

My bad on the Sonoma deal. For some reason, I had thought that since they had the same core (but just clocked to different bus speeds), they would bear the same name. Since I thought they were both Dothan, I confused Sonoma with the upcoming Napa. yick.

I'll gladly go up and edit my post to include your insight (in essence, taking on some of the burden of editing, which you could copy 'n' paste at your leisure) or delete it outright. Whichever you prefer. -- Paul

The pentium-4 m is a DESKTOP P4 with Speedstep technology and enhanced technology for better wireless capabilities, this processor does not have hyperthreading... if you take away those small extera features then it becomes a DESKTOP p4, The pentium-4 m is actually the willimatte version of the mobile pentium-4... It had 2x the L2 cache of it's willimatte desktop cousin.

Last time i check in my Dell laptop 5160 3.2ghz(533mhz) p4-m, it has HP.

Or this is diff from the Mobile P-4

THE MOBILE Pentium-4 INTEL SPECS

There is no plain desktop pentium 4 for laptops... except for the extreme edition that alienware and dell and others used for their extreme systems.

Umm am I missing something here ?

-K

macklin01 said:
I'd mosey on over to this page for the pentium m chips, to this page for the pentium 4-m, and this page for the "mobile pentium 4". Oh, and go here

If you have a choice, you'll want to avoid the pentium 4-m and mobile pentium 4. Also, note that so far as I can tell, there's no such thing as a pentium m 350. However, there is a Celeron M 350. Surprisingly enough, the Celeron M line is actually fairly decent. Same architecture as Pentium M but with less L2 cache and a few fewer features. A laptop with a Celeron M should be able to be upgraded to a Pentium M.

Here's a general summary:

Pentium M: (If no 3-digit number, it's a Banias with a 512-kB L2 cache and higher power consumption characteristics)
Pentium M 7x5, 1 <= x <= 9: Dothan core with 2MB L2.
Pentium M 7x8: low-voltage with varying cores
Pentium M 7x3: ultra low-voltage with varying cores.

Celeron M 3x0, 1 <= x <= 4: Banias-like core with 512KB L2.
Celeron M 3x0, 5 <= x <= 9: Dothan-like core with 1MB L2.
Celeron M 3x3: ultra low-voltage Celeron M, varying cores

So, if you do indeed go with a Celeron M, make sure it's 350 or greater. But I'd personally recommend a Pentium M 715 or greater. (I myself just ordered one with a Pentium M 715, the lowest speed Dothan core chip.)

I hope this helps. -- Paul
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6756168691&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
is what I am looking at.
It seems that most of the time a laptop is slowing down the cpu for battery and not really pushing the top end much. I am not looking for gaming, I use linux :) :) :rolleyes: :shrug:
I really want to say thank you to every one, I know my questinos have been really weak but I have never had a laptop and they are really expensive. :bang head
I asked this question because I really wanted the "pentium M" because there is a linux compile optimiser for that specific chip.
some of the really cheap laptops seem to be the 350 cellerons...
thanks for your time and have a good day.

PS anyone know a great place to get an R51 laptop?????? :attn:

badgers said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6756168691&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
is what I am looking at.
It seems that most of the time a laptop is slowing down the cpu for battery and not really pushing the top end much. I am not looking for gaming, I use linux
I really want to say thank you to every one, I know my questinos have been really weak but I have never had a laptop and they are really expensive. :bang head
I asked this question because I really wanted the "pentium M" because there is a linux compile optimiser for that specific chip.
some of the really cheap laptops seem to be the 350 cellerons...
thanks for your time and have a good day.

Ok it's like this... The power will be there when you need it and can switch speeds in hundredths of a millisecond but it usually takes about 10-20 milliseconds (that's still only 20 thousandths of a second) to determine if it really needs to jump up in speed or it was just a spike that can be iorned out over the next few milliseconds... Third party programs can enhance the speedstep by forcing it to decide to drop down more quickly when idling and even have the ability to drop the speed down to 100mhz... (If you try this please make sure you have the unessary programs turnd off)... Mp3's with about 14 background programs(tray icons and services) run nice starting at 300 mhz and mpeg4 starts playing right at about 600-1200 depending on whatever else you have running and which player your using... :rolleyes:

Now the celeron-m not to be confused with the mobile celeron (theese are two completelly different chips)...

the celeron-m is basically a stripped down pentium-m without that nice super speedstep stuff eigther.... but it still has most of that superb pentium-m efficency and lower power requirements...

badgers said:

Well, I bought an R51 from this seller. I haven't received the laptop yet (it's due on Friday), but so far, my dealings with the seller have been overwhelmingly positive, and I've received the quickest email responses in my ebay history.

Ozzlo had a very good response for you on the Celeron M. (Of which the 350 is an example.) I'd like to note that my wife has a Celeron M 350, and I've been pretty impressed with it. No speedstep, but pretty good battery life and surprisingly responsive and quick. -- Paul

macklin01 said:
Well, I bought an R51 from this seller. I haven't received the laptop yet (it's due on Friday), but so far, my dealings with the seller have been overwhelmingly positive, and I've received the quickest email responses in my ebay history.

Ozzlo had a very good response for you on the Celeron M. (Of which the 350 is an example.) I'd like to note that my wife has a Celeron M 350, and I've been pretty impressed with it. No speedstep, but pretty good battery life and surprisingly responsive and quick. -- Paul
keep me updated on how it works. Right now I am moving enough money from my bank account to paypal to cover a laptop, it take like 4 business days for it to clear.

thanks

Will do. I'm really getting pretty excited.

I can say that I was impressed with my wife's Celeron M lappy (once we upgraded from 256MB to 768MB of PC2700), and so I can only imagine how well a Pentium M must do. (I'll have 512MB at the start.)

Thanks again -- Paul

macklin01 said:
Will do. I'm really getting pretty excited.

I can say that I was impressed with my wife's Celeron M lappy (once we upgraded from 256MB to 768MB of PC2700), and so I can only imagine how well a Pentium M must do. (I'll have 512MB at the start.)

Thanks again -- Paul

Paul,

I think you're going to love that laptop...i'm in research too and i sure love mine...especially the ability to work or play just about wherever i want...never worrying about running out of batteries (i actually have two batteries installed, since i rarely use the cdrw now that i have the 1gb apacer fast USB drive that transfers 1 gb in less than a minute!)...i get about 7 hours of battery life...

also, even though this machine easily overclocks, i've found that running the processor at 600mhz (lowest setting possible), i can't tell the difference surfing the web or doing office apps versus 2-2.4ghz...

although, when using photoshop, i like and notice the extra speed...

:) I'm definitely looking forward to it. Just 2 more days ... :) Thanks again, dustybyrd! :) -- Paul

*subscribes* I'll be reading this in the future for more info on P-Ms and mobile 64s. Perhaps the same can be applied for low power desktops.

well this thread might start to look a little crappy as I have had some time today to get some more information that I am just dumping in there... I will have to put up under rennovations sign or something... organization is goinng to go to poo for awhile :(

Back