• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The "Wolfdale gets Cross-Fired" thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brolloks

Benching Senior on Siesta, Premium Member #8
I picked up a pair of HIS HD2900 Pros to compliment my existing Wolfdale E8400 and plan to let them run on the same patch on an Asus P5E X38 board

I started running some benchmarks with one of the 2900Pro's last night (on an Abit IP-35E board) using a few programs to OC it with variable voltage and it yielded this result which I might say is quite inpressive for a $155 video card.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_05 Jan. 23 07.28.jpg
    ScreenHunter_05 Jan. 23 07.28.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,164
I'm hoping to score a pair of these cards as well, except hopefully the 1GB flavors :D The performance of these cards is absolutely insane for the price.

I formatted the PC clean last night to start over, only because I intended to do that from the start once I found a solid and stable operating speed. So tonight, I can go home and start beating my poor rig to death with 3DMark :beer:

I'm hoping to score a pair of these cards as well, except hopefully the 1GB flavors :D The performance of these cards is absolutely insane for the price.

ghost what kinda scores are u getting with ur setup with the one 3850, bc i i have also have the diamond hd 3850 with 4gb of gskill memory but running it on a q6600 just wanted the score for scomparison if u dont mind

thanx....

ghost what kinda scores are u getting with ur setup with the one 3850, bc i i have also have the diamond hd 3850 with 4gb of gskill memory but running it on a q6600 just wanted the score for scomparison if u dont mind

thanx....

Hit 11.5k with my 3850 @ 750/2000, and my E8400 @ 4.23GHz.

has nothing to do with what anyone thinks, the 2900xt/pro has performance issues with AA enabled that put it at par or slightly behind a 8800gts 320 when both compared in GAMES with AA. I have owned both and can say so. The 2900xt benches like a 8800gtx though for those that live by the bench, you'll see a different story in games with AA

A 2900pro 512bit for $170 is still AWESOME bang for the buck, the 8800gts320 is still over $200 and would be the closest card in performance IF you flash the pro to XT speeds or overclock it to xt speeds.

I'll be able to add on to this thread soon. My E8400 gets delivered today. Should make a nice companion for the twins. :D

has nothing to do with what anyone thinks, the 2900xt/pro has performance issues with AA enabled that put it at par or slightly behind a 8800gts 320 when both compared in GAMES with AA. I have owned both and can say so. The 2900xt benches like a 8800gtx though for those that live by the bench, you'll see a different story in games.

A 2900pro 512bit for $170 is still AWESOME bang for the buck, the 8800gts320 is still over $200 and would be the closest card in performance IF you flash the pro to XT speeds or overclock it to xt speeds.

Hmm, most interesting. I had never heard of this AA problem before. Just poorly designed cores or what? I have the possibility of snagging 2x 2900 Pro 1GB cards @ $400 for both.

Hmm, most interesting. I had never heard of this AA problem before. Just poorly designed cores or what? I have the possibility of snagging 2x 2900 Pro 1GB cards @ $400 for both.

well its not an ISSUE or PROBLEM really, its just that the card FLIES till you enable AA, its just the way they are. If you like 2-4xaa in games then a 2900xt is comparable to a 8800gts320 stock. if you play at 1680x1050 and dont really want/need/care about 2-4xAA its a pretty fast *** card and for $170 and a flash to XT its good value for the dollar and at lower res its even faster of course.

the 1gb cards dont show any improvement over the 512's, $400 for both is a good deal, but you can grab 2 of the 512bit 512mb 2900pros from ewiz for $340 shipped...

The 2xxx family of cards was ATI's first implementation of AA powered by shader resolve. While this is technically a superior method*, it unfortunately resulted in less performance while AA was on. The 3xxx series has some additional tweaking, partly due to DX10.1 spec and partly for performance reasons, which allow AA to be slightly less of a performance detriment.

* Shader-resolved AA allows for programmable antialiasing patterns (a requirement of DX10.1), antialiasing of shader effects, antialiasing in engines that use deferred- or tiled-rending, and proper handling of INT32/FP32 source data. As such, it's also quite expensive on shader power.

Don't think they can handle AA? They'll handle as well as about any other $240 video card.

The 2900's ASIC design caused large performance hits on the 2900's when AA was enabled. That is well documented.
The same ASIC design flaws caused DX10 performance to be sub par as well.

That was corrected in the HD 38xx cards.

Viper

The 2900's ASIC design caused large performance hits on the 2900's when AA was enabled. That is well documented.
The same ASIC design flaws caused DX10 performance to be sub par as well.

That was corrected in the HD 38xx cards.

Viper

Hmm, ok then. So the 1GB ones are not much faster than the 512MBs, even with GDDR4 vs. GDDR3?

Back