• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal pads for motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ImKritical

Registered
I have a m5a97 r 2.0 mobo, wanted to change thermal pad on my Vrm heatsink, so i pulled my heatsink off saw that i have a broken thermalpad it was cracked almost everywhere so i got a new one.
I got some AAB cooling thermal pad 1mm thick like my old one and its rated at 6 w/mk, cleaned the heatsink with isopropyl alcohol 99% and vrm's, peeled off protective plastick from my new thermalpad installed it and it does not really transfer heat...
I pulled it out again and there are marks of little squares so that means its touching my vrms but why is the heatsink so cool ?
Vrms are actually overheating and freezing my pc
What thermal pads would you recommand ? and what could be the problem ?

Can you link to where you got your thermal pads.

I typically use these from Arctic.

Not to be funny but did you take the plastic film off of both sides of the pad?

Depends on the distance. I am guessing there was 1mm on there before from the factory so he replaced it with 1mm??

Brief hijack-is there a reason you use the 1mm pads instead of .5mm? I would have thought thinner would be better (on relatively smooth surfaces).

As ED said I use what is recommended by the manufacturer. If you go too thin you end up with poor contact. If you go too thick, thermal dissipation suffers and you can potentially get to much pressure on components.

Actually i picked up another thermalpad just a bit thicker 1.5mm and it works great, dont know why 1mm did not work, it actually touched my vrms.
and i actually noticed another problem... My southbridge gets soo hot i can only touch it for 2 seconds and then it burns.
I dont think it was like that before i changed the thermal paste and its still getting that hot, maybe 2-5C lower since i can touch it for a bit longer.
Decided to get a fan for Vrms and Southbridge, i got bequiet pure wings 2 to cool it down.
On any overclock high or low, even on low wattage like 4ghz 1.310v my system just freezes no blue screen or crash just freezes, tho it runs for like 2h with prime 95 then i up the voltage and instead of making it stable it freezes like after 5-20min.
Im fighting with it for almost a month dont know what could be wrong, im guessing it might be something with the motherboard.
My Specs
mobo: m5a97 r2.0
Ram: hyper x 2x4gb
Gpu: msi gtx 1060 3gb gt oc
Processor: Fx6300
Psu: Xfx Pro 650w Semi modular
Aio on my cpu with liquid ultra so temps are like in 30-40s with fans running at 800rpm
case is well ventalated Corsair 270r with 6 thermaltake riing 12 fans
cooled southbridge and vrm with bequiet pure wings 2 80mm

E: Just now i went into bios reseted it to defults, and guess what it crashes on stock speed...
i used another fx cpu and it does the same thing, i still got warranty on it like 2 months left so should i send it to them ? and did i void my warranty by changing thermalpaste on southbridge and thermalpad o northbridge?

Last edited:
Try clearing the CMOS and rebooting.

It's highly doubtful this will affect your warranty (edit) unless they determine you did not install the thermal pads correctly(end edit).

I did clear the cmos actually with no effect, I'm just wondering why my chip (southbridge) started to really overheat what could cause it?
It used to run at like 30c now it's like 70-80c

I never touched that it was stock, it changed itself, then I changed the paste and it went from like 85 to 70-80

Back