• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thermal paste and its uses

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PoonWiki

Registered
I recently tried the oven trick with my gtx 8800 oc2 but accidently threw away my thermal pads after I took apart the card. Can I apply my arctic cooler thermal paste to the ram pads on the card as well as the gpu or should I try to find some from another gfx card?

tinymouse2

Thermal paste is thermal paste no matter who applies it. If the card is working after the oven trick (hopefully you've done it correctly) then it shouldn't matter what brand thermal paste you use.

If you want to do a quick check then apply toothpaste and load it up out of the computer. Should give you enough time to see if the GPU will display anything and will make it VERY cold (toothpaste completely dominates all thermal paste for heat transfer but dries up in a matter of minutes so keep it quick!)

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I would get some others as usually the gap that the pads cover is too large for thermal paste to bridge effectively.