• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal paste on the bottom of the Volcano 2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morjo

Registered
Hi

I got a Volcano 2 today, and there is like some sorta paste at the bottom of the Heatsink covered by some red tape. Is that thermal compound?
If so do I have to remove it all off the heatskink and put it on my CPU?

Cheers

Yes, it is some kind of T.I.M. (Thermal Interface Material). I would recommend removing it along with any residue it leaves behind and applying some known-good performing thermal grease like Arctic Silver. Depending upon the quality of the finish on the bottom of the Volcano, you might want to consider lapping it while you are at it. How-to articles abound.

Hoot

I removed mine by using a stanly blade, an eraser and medium to very fine paper for lapping (sanding) of the bottom of the heatsink.

Get some artic silver 2 to use instead, the burst packed of thermal paste is ok but no where near as effective as artic silver 2

Hope this helps.

If I were to use it, how would I go about taking it off and applying it to the CPU?

Cheers

I must assume that by it you mean Arctic Silver and not the TIM or the Heastsink. The Arctic Silver Web site has excellent instructions on applying and removing the stuff. Basically, treat it as you would any normal heatsink grease.

Hoot

You dont remove the TIM from the heatsink to put it on the CPU. When you mount the HS on the CPU, the TIM will be between the CPU an HS. You do have to remove the red paper first, and try not to move the HS much after making contact with the CPU.

What everyone is recommending is to completely remove the TIM from the heatsink, and then apply ASII or some other thermal compound to the CPU core before mounting the HS.

use acetone to remove, it works well. In a pinch, WD40 will get it off. but lap the surface afterwords to remove the grease.

I got my volcano II last week, and when I first installed it with the normal yellow stuff they had my temperature was around the high 50-60 degree (C) range. I scraped it off, and used nail polish remover to get rid of the rest, and the temps dropped almost 30 degress to something like 32 degrees.

h2k (May 17, 2001 05:51 p.m.):
I got my volcano II last week, and when I first installed it with the normal yellow stuff they had my temperature was around the high 50-60 degree (C) range. I scraped it off, and used nail polish remover to get rid of the rest, and the temps dropped almost 30 degress to something like 32 degrees.

you are using some goop now right?

beleive it or not radioshack compound is third in a list of the best thermal compounds, its not all that bad I dont have enough patients to wait for arctic silver getting it through the mail so thats what i'm using and i'm running a 1gp3@1262 25C ambient and system temps and 30C running seti maybe because I lapped really well its not reling on the compound as much as one lapped less. I dont think your compound was the normal radioshack stuff as most ive seen is white.

h2k (May 17, 2001 07:25 p.m.):
Yep... kinda forgot to mention that.... some cheap *** radio shack stuff

thats what I use, good stuff and its cheap. Plus, its only fifteen minutes away!

Back