• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thermal paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nico3k

hi.
i need thermal paste.
have cpu, no thermal paste.
is there anything in the house that i could use as a replacement for thermal paste.

i cant "run over" to a store. i need this within 2 hours. i cant leave the house

please anyone?

Toothpaste is really good for a short time. I'm 100% serious.
However, i do mean SHORT TIME. Otherwise, it will dry out to a powdery state and do more harm than good.

Anything that is gooey will do for a short time. Just keep checking your temps and make sure not to dry them out.

lol you'll have one of the mintiest smelling chips around :D not sure weather it would attack the substrate though :eek: thought toothpaste would have insulated as it cures pretty quick with temperature but not something i've tried :D
personally i wouldnt risk anything but thermal paste if you cant leave the house order a pizza and have them pick some up for you, or order a taxi, £10 for a taxis better than £100 fro a chip

lazerin said:
Toothpaste is really good for a short time. I'm 100% serious.
However, i do mean SHORT TIME. Otherwise, it will dry out to a powdery state and do more harm than good.

Anything that is gooey will do for a short time. Just keep checking your temps and make sure not to dry them out.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
i put a little bit of white crest toothpaste, and its working like magic. full load temp is 38 with stock hsf.
however, its rising :(
its been running for 24 hours so far.

thnx im gona reapply it until i get some real paste

No worries dude :)
Glad everything worked out. I've used toothpaste myself. It really is magic! Just remember, it can only be a temporary replacement.

Just out of curiousity, did you use colgate? :D

Back