• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

THERMAL TAPE??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fordracr

Registered
Can I use 3M double sided clear mounting tape as thermal tape?? I know this sounds like an IDIOT IDEA, But I used this to hold something to the firewall in my engine bay and this tape really GETS HOT!. IT has no paper it is made of a gel-like material. What do yall think?? Do you think it will move the heat from the ram on my video car ot the heatsink?

Of course it (the cold side) will get hot...anything will....given enough time. But real thermal tapes (with mcuh better thermal conductivity) get hot much faster than other materials so that the hot side of it doesn't simmer when the cold side is just getting warmed up. Use cannot use normal tapes in-place of real thermal tapes or thermal paste.

i wouldnt reccomend it but beleive it or not 90% of the chipset and gpu hsf are held on by that crap, ofcourse i always scrape it of and do it right, and welcome to the fourums, ill keep the ford wisecracks to a minimum, "longtime chevy rodder here :) "

hmm, posted this earlier. If you are looking for some cheap stuff to use between the cpu and a heatsink, the shack goop is cheap and pretty darn good. If you want to make it sticky, four drops of superglue on the corner of a chip(vid. card, northbridge) will hold a hsf on it.

William (Jul 22, 2001 02:59 p.m.):
hmm, posted this earlier. If you are looking for some cheap stuff to use between the cpu and a heatsink, the shack goop is cheap and pretty darn good. If you want to make it sticky, four drops of superglue on the corner of a chip(vid. card, northbridge) will hold a hsf on it.

Yup, everybody's favourite, super-convenient method =)

Yep William is rite I would not even try your idea as it would only waist your time at best at worst when what ever your using it on falls off then who knows what you could ruin. Another but permanent method would be to use JBweld which actually works pretty good, but once its on its on for good.

outhouse (Jul 23, 2001 08:49 p.m.):
Yep William is rite I would not even try your idea as it would only waist your time at best at worst when what ever your using it on falls off then who knows what you could ruin. Another but permanent method would be to use JBweld which actually works pretty good, but once its on its on for good.

Hey outhouse, how well does this JBWeld (and other similar metal-filled epoxies) work compared to AS2 epoxy or regular thermal paste? I'm looking for (cheaper) alternatives to AS2 epoxy.

cjtune (Jul 24, 2001 02:27 a.m.):

Hey outhouse, how well does this JBWeld (and other similar metal-filled epoxies) work compared to AS2 epoxy or regular thermal paste? I'm looking for (cheaper) alternatives to AS2 epoxy.

the super glue trick! Just use some goop in the middle(AS2 is even better) and some super glue on the corners. Plus, its actually easier to get it off.

William (Jul 24, 2001 05:18 a.m.):
cjtune (Jul 24, 2001 02:27 a.m.):

the super glue trick! Just use some goop in the middle(AS2 is even better) and some super glue on the corners. Plus, its actually easier to get it off.

I know, I know, I've been using the super-glue-at-the-corners trick all this while but I do want to know about other options -especially for applications where I want the HS to be on forever and I don't completely trust superglue. I did read about some guy who swears by JBWeld (in the main page, I think) and I would like to know more about any possible long term cons and of any temperature measurements compared to standard thermal goops.

Back