• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake ducting mod - effective?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tawcan

Registered
Joined
Dec 17, 2002
Location
Vancouver, BC
I'm looking at the possibilities to decrease my system noise level as well as increasing cooling performance while spending as little money as possible. Right now I have AX7 and H1A.

There seems to be 2 options:

1.) Use a 80 to 120mm/92mm adaptor and use a 120/92mm fan.

2.) Use the Thermaltake ducting mod
ductmod_big.jpg


I'm just wondering how effective the ducting mod is.

Which option would you go?
 

SunRedRX7

Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2003
Location
Kenmore, NY
Well when I had my V11 I got about a 1-2C lower temp, and the temp controlled fan spun about 500rpm less with the duct mod.

I didn't really notice a decrease in noise.
 

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
Joined
Dec 7, 2003
Location
UK
i find the duct is the cheapest and most cost effective solution
 

Captain Hilts

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2002
Location
Toronto, ON
Has anyone else tried one of these out? I'm considering trying it out myself, some reviews seem to say that it works really well while others say that it doesn't do too much at all.
 

Blink Me

Registered
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Location
Sydney Aus
you can hook it up to anthing that has holes for an 80mm fan. i wouldnt mind one to use on my PAL 8045 with my smart fan II
 

DOHCrazy

Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2003
Location
The Colony, TX
trifan.jpg


Ide ask this guy. Although this is not his current setup, he seems to love these things. His name on here is Clocker2.

BTW, i hosted this clocker, just so you know im not using your bandwith ;)
 

MattCoz

Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Location
Chicago
Just that the ALX-800 has that weird clamping mechanism, the smart fan can't be put on it directly. Looks like it would work though.
 

theoneforever

Registered
Joined
Aug 13, 2003
Location
State College, PA
Would it be possible to use the duct between the cpu heatsink fan and a window fan and still have enought flexiblitly to open the case side which the window fan is on? The distance between the 2 is about 5-6 inches.
 

St_Z

New Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2002
Location
UK
Good idea?

I am thinking of using combining the ThermalTake Ducting Mod with a 120mm fan and some adaptors. Does this sound like a good idea? I'd rather not waste £20-30 on the bits if it's not going to make a difference.

Currently I have a Glacialtech Igloo 2500 cooler (2800RPM, 22.7CFM, 26dBA) with 70mm fan for my XP2600+ Barton @ 11x200. It looks like I'll have to change my configuration to the following:

120mm fan --> 120-80 adaptor --> ducting mod --> 80-70 adaptor

Thing is, I don't know whether it's possible to get an 80-70 adaptor. This seems like a very long daisy chain too!

[Edit] Knew I'd forget to say: idle temp ~40, load~48
 

pauldenton

Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2003
Location
London, England
Re: Good idea?

St_Z said:
I am thinking of using combining the ThermalTake Ducting Mod with a 120mm fan and some adaptors. Does this sound like a good idea? I'd rather not waste �20-30 on the bits if it's not going to make a difference.

Currently I have a Glacialtech Igloo 2500 cooler (2800RPM, 22.7CFM, 26dBA) with 70mm fan for my XP2600+ Barton @ 11x200. It looks like I'll have to change my configuration to the following:

120mm fan --> 120-80 adaptor --> ducting mod --> 80-70 adaptor

Thing is, I don't know whether it's possible to get an 80-70 adaptor. This seems like a very long daisy chain too!

[Edit] Knew I'd forget to say: idle temp ~40, load~48

in a word, no....

a) the fan won't like driving through a 120>80 adaptor - thats a 56% reduction in area... a second adaptor'd make it worse...
if you're after performance, best to try a tmd fan on the sink... (but it'd be noisy)
 

St_Z

New Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2002
Location
UK
I'll ditch that plan then. It seemed a bit far-fetched.

By the way, what's a tmd fan? Is it one of those "jet" ones?

One more thing: why do they make these adaptors if they're a bad idea to use? I'd always thought an adaptor would just have good effects like increase in airflow and pressure.
 

pauldenton

Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2003
Location
London, England
St_Z said:
I'll ditch that plan then. It seemed a bit far-fetched.

By the way, what's a tmd fan? Is it one of those "jet" ones?

One more thing: why do they make these adaptors if they're a bad idea to use? I'd always thought an adaptor would just have good effects like increase in airflow and pressure.

"YS Tech TMD (Tip Magnetic Driven) fans are driven from the exterior of the fan casing rather than the centre which eliminates most of the centre 'dead spot' normally associated with conventional fans, making them ideal for cooling CPUs especially."
2576.jpg

their size makes them suitable for your 70mm heatsink i think....

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/Kustom_PCs_Shop_Case_High_CFM_Fans_73.html
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/Kustom_PCs_Shop_Case_Quiet_Fans_72.html
http://www.extremecooling.co.uk/web/product?product=600989
 

St_Z

New Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2002
Location
UK
Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure about the noise level, but the airflow is very good so I can probably put up with the noise.

With my current fan specs (see post above) my idle temp is ~40 and load is ~48. Do you think I should go for the 35CFM/25dBA fan or the 62CFM/39dBA one? Will I notice the noise difference much? I'm not very good at understanding the dBA units coz it's all logarithmic and I have logarithms with a fiery passion! :mad:
 

Captain Hilts

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2002
Location
Toronto, ON
St_Z said:
Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure about the noise level, but the airflow is very good so I can probably put up with the noise.

With my current fan specs (see post above) my idle temp is ~40 and load is ~48. Do you think I should go for the 35CFM/25dBA fan or the 62CFM/39dBA one? Will I notice the noise difference much? I'm not very good at understanding the dBA units coz it's all logarithmic and I have logarithms with a fiery passion! :mad:

You can always get the highspeed one and combine it with a fan-speed controller (like this Zalman one, http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=8840) since they're pretty cheap.

I wouldn't say that the high speed one is really noisy though, it just isn't suitable if you're going for a silent PC. It's nothing compared to one of those Delta screemers or the TT Smartfan at high speed. The lower speed TMD fan (or the higher speed one with the fan controller set to low) will be really quiet and you probably wouldn't notice it unless everything else in your case is really quiet as well.