• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

These G1 970's are paining me to OC and I'm ready to pull out what hair I have l

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuRgLaR

I've been toying with OC'in these damn cards and it's driving me insane.

I've seen these same cards run these settings in MSI AB without issue yet my system can't get near that without artifacting and total system freezes

Temp Target 80 Degrees C
GPU clock +150 MHz
Power limiter 112%
Mem clock +500 MHz
Volatge + 87Mv

Can any of you recommend mid level OC settings on these cards that ain't gonna kick them over the edge or am I at the mercy of the silicon gods again?

I'm trying for a new Firestrike High score still not happy with the results.

"am I at the mercy of the silicon gods again?"

looks like it.
with my cards in sli/xfire, I find the max clocks for each card, subtract 10 from the slowest and link them at that clock.

I've been toying with OC'in these damn cards and it's driving me insane.

I've seen these same cards run these settings in MSI AB without issue yet my system can't get near that without artifacting and total system freezes

Temp Target 80 Degrees C
GPU clock +150 MHz
Power limiter 112%
Mem clock +500 MHz
Volatge + 87Mv

Can any of you recommend mid level OC settings on these cards that ain't gonna kick them over the edge or am I at the mercy of the silicon gods again?

I'm trying for a new Firestrike High score still not happy with the results.

If you want the high score for 2 x 970s, you'll need to run a custom bios. It took me a month of fine tuning and testing to break 28k graphics score.

I'll also add if you're running the Fx rig in SLI you're not going to be able to compete against an Intel rig. Fx rigs perform poorly in Firestrike unless significantly overclocked higher then an Intel counterpart and they also do not scale well in Sli/X Fire.

Did you see the cards run those settings as single cards or in SLI?

When pushing the overclocks, you'll need to get GPUz downloaded. Open up two instances, one for each GPU, and get the sensors tabs open on them. The pull down menu at the bottom allows you to choose which GPU that particular window represents.

For SLI, on the stock bios, you should be shooting for 1500+ on the core, and 1950+ on the memory.

As I said before, though....if you're really wanting to push them hard, you'll need to run a custom bios, as you'll very likely start to hit a power limit perf cap that will throttle your cards to get them back underneath that, before you reach the potential of your particular GPUs....

Back