• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about jumping ship

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WrkBoot

I'm looking for a new more powerful video card. I have always gone with Nvidia and have been happy with them until lately. The prices of their higher-end cards are silly. I know you have to pay to play but wow. I've always bought the best card I could afford at the time. The 3060 I have does ok I'm getting around 140FPS in Dying light2 running at 144. I'm thinking of going to AMD because of the price of the RX7900XTX, a grand doesn't sound bad. Nvidia wants 1500-2000 for their 4090 + I'm not a fan of their power conations. Do I need that much power.....not sure but I like to keep my stuff for a long time. Maybe I just need to spend some money on my rig. o_O
So...will the high-end AMD card give me higher frame rates and better gameplay or is this a figment of my imagination?:unsure:

I've read that new video cards are coming out in 2024-25.

I doubt we will see new cards in the next year. Probably only the Super version from Nvidia and maybe 8000 from AMD at the end of the year (with limited availability just after the premiere). I could be wrong, but recently, too many cards were available, to the point that both manufacturers reduced production. They may delay the premiere of anything new.
Investing in PC hardware isn't the best idea. If it works just right for now, then you better save that money or spend it on something that will give you a better experience. My latest upgrade was replacing Ryzen 7600 with 7800X3D and RTX3070 with RTX4070. If not for the ridiculous wattage of higher AMD cards, then I would think about them. Things that I need for tests/reviews are totally different. For gaming, I'm fine with something slower, but lower power and quiet.

I see you have an LG 32GP850-B G-Sync monitor (two of them actually). Does variable refresh rate work with AMD video cards on G-Sync monitors? If not, you are going to want to stay with nvidia video cards so you can use the VVR in your monitors.

^^^^^ I'm not sure, more than likely I'll stay with Nvidia, I've always had them but I sure as puck can't afford to buy a 4090 @ 1-2K

I guess your choices will be 4070, 4070 ti, and whatever 4070 Supers they have planned for release. Personally, I'd be looking for a 4070 ti Super, if there is one coming. It should be below your $1k spending cap.

I see you have an LG 32GP850-B G-Sync monitor (two of them actually). Does variable refresh rate work with AMD video cards on G-Sync monitors? If not, you are going to want to stay with nvidia video cards so you can use the VVR in your monitors.
In a quick search it looks like it supports both: G-Sync Compatible and FreeSync Premium. This implies it is a newer generic version, and not the native hardware implementation of G-Sync.

As for timescales of the NV refresh, rumours do seem to be building towards a launch in the near future for Super models in the higher end 40 series, possibly CES at the start of next year. I'd expect a value improvement with these models taking over the older ones. Next gen is expected early 2025.

At launch pricing the 7900XTX would have been tempting if I were looking at the higher end. I see the 4080 where I am has closed the gap somewhat and is only a bit more expensive and would be my choice today, again if I were looking that high up.

I like AMD's strategy with $1k and less cards with a reasonable size and power footprint. The 4090 is just insane. I'd consider a 4080 maybe, but at this point I think I'd want to tinker with an AMD offering in the current environment. That said, I intend to milk my 3080Ti as long as possible.

Yeah, I never had an AMD and would have to learn some stuff. My 3060ti is maxed out running 100 percent while gaming, I'm not sure if that has a bearing on anything or not. I was just trying to get as much Vram as possible.

I've gone back and forth over the years and i am looking at the same thing. I have a 3070 Ti but in a 7800 X3D i know theres a bottleneck. my frames are higher than the 3600x based AM4 system i came from but not much higher. I recently overclocked my 3070ti and noticed a significant improvement. now that not to say i am getting crap performance things are running well but they could be running better so i am not in a rush.

I've been considering 7900 XT/XTX cards but what i think i'll do is wait for 8900 cards and see whats up. They'll most likely be refinements on the 7900 but that usually means less power and little more performance and if they are the same price and i can wait, why not.

I'm also interested in the smart access memory thing and since i am already on AM5 i figure its an added bonus. not sure how much it'll add but why not

I'm not saying my 3070ti is a bad card but i mean, look at what we do here

If I'm right, then we may expect new AMD graphics cards earlier than I thought. AMD also works on a new GPU, so not a 7000 series refresh. Maybe they use current GPUs in lower cards, but the top series will be something new (hopefully). We will see. For sure, AMD has better price tags than Nvidia. I only dislike the high wattage.
We still forget about Intel, and I'm sure they release something new in the next year (probably before June). Again, I could be wrong, but there were leaks that they were working on something, and current discrete graphics cards are already discontinued. Even though the last generation wasn't so great, they made a lot of noise and delivered a pretty good performance for the price.

How are the AMD drivers, are they as good as Nvidias? Hopefully, Intel and AMD will put the boot to Nvidia's azz and the consumer will benefit

As a whole, I'd say AMD drivers are more problematic. Actually, it would be better to say that both are likely going to be fine (problematic is being dramatic) but from what I've seen, AMD drivers do tend to be mkre finicky.

That said, if you have to ask the question, I doubt you'd be disappointed. If you haven't been bitten, theres no reason to be shy. :)

"....once bitten twice shy, baby!" - Great White

If I'm right, then we may expect new AMD graphics cards earlier than I thought. AMD also works on a new GPU, so not a 7000 series refresh. Maybe they use current GPUs in lower cards, but the top series will be something new (hopefully). We will see.
I don't follow rumours/leaks that closely but has there been any suggestion deviating significantly from RNDA4 later next year?

We still forget about Intel, and I'm sure they release something new in the next year (probably before June). Again, I could be wrong, but there were leaks that they were working on something, and current discrete graphics cards are already discontinued.
Intel should be well into Battlemage development and probably started on Celestial. I'm don't recall if they ever gave a date for either. Alchemist is going to be the standard iGPU from Meteor Lake so it'll be with more users than ever soon.

On the "discontinued" cards, as far as I'm aware this only applies to Intel's own "limited edition" design. Not unexpected. The clue is in the name. 3rd party is still going.

Back