• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a new router, or something else

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Let me preface this by saying I'm going on vacation tomorrow, so there is no rush on this, and also probably not much troubleshooting time.

I've got a D-Link DIR-655 router (gigabit / wireless-n). Verizon FiOS, 50 Mb down / 25 Mb up.

For the last 2 weeks, we've had slowdowns. They seem to happen randomly. Speedtest shows less than 1Mb/s and sometimes less that .1Mb/s. Unplugging and plugging back in the router has fixed it every time. Speedtest will show about 58Mb/s down and about 30Mb/s up. Also, the router feels fairly warm. We also have 6 cats that have access to the room with the router. I'm wondering if that might have something to do with the heat, though the router is up out of the way and doesn't really show signs of cat hair buildup.

Should I just go ahead and replace it with another router, given its age? Wireless AC / Gigabit? Any of them known for running really cool?

Things to try before buying:

Change the channel on your router to something less crowded. If you live in an apartment, the channel you are using may be crowded.

If the router is near a wireless phone base, or other device that can be causing interference, you may have to move your router.

Unless you have a need for Wireless AC, you don't have to buy a router that supports it. More routers being that are being offered, seem to be AC enabled.

Things to try before buying:

Change the channel on your router to something less crowded. If you live in an apartment, the channel you are using may be crowded.

If the router is near a wireless phone base, or other device that can be causing interference, you may have to move your router.

Unless you have a need for Wireless AC, you don't have to buy a router that supports it. More routers being that are being offered, seem to be AC enabled.

Sorry, I realize I was confusing the issue. This is all happening on the wired side of things. I only use the wireless when I fire up the laptop, which is infrequently. I haven't had a slowdown while using a wireless connection. Also, I'm in a single house on a lot. I can see 2-4 other networks, but that is it.

Did you try new RJ-45 cables? It's worth a shot if you have spares laying around.

Did you try new RJ-45 cables? It's worth a shot if you have spares laying around.

Between the FiOS box a the router? No, it is a 35' run of CAT6. I don't have anything that long at the moment that isn't already in use. (In use = run through conduit or stapled under the floor)

Ok, this morning it was back down to 1Mbps. It made my folding clients stall on downloads as well. I had several idled clients that were stuck mid-download.

So, what is a good router that is also 802.11AC?

It's good router, no doubt, but until your are able to put the modem into bridge modem (disable the wireless), you will still have connectivity issues.

Could you please clarify what you are saying, because I'm not understanding it.

I'm confusing you with another user here, sorry. Lol. Between helping here, and working the tickets in my queue, it can get confusing.

I'm confusing you with another user here, sorry. Lol. Between helping here, and working the tickets in my queue, it can get confusing.

Understood. Thank you for the follow up.

Yeah, the modem portion of my network is actually in the FiOS ONT. I went with the option of Ethernet only. So my router is pretty much just going to be a router.

Looks like your choice is already made but, for the money, the TP-Link Archer series is hard to beat. I've heard good things. My next router will probably be an Archer C9, to upgrade my Asus rt-n16.

Back