• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To buy or to overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sashag

Hello,

I just signed up on this site, and I would like to know if I should get a 'new' laptop (preferably an Intel Core i3 or i5), or try to overclock my current computer? The specs on my current laptop are as follows...

Toshiba AMD A6-3400M apu processor with a Radeon 1.4 graphics card running on a 32-bit OS.

I'm not 'tech savvy' and I've heard that sometimes overclocking doesn't speed up the computer speed. I've also compared the Intel Core i3 and the AMD A6, and the Intel Core i3 seems to be faster. I don't play any high intensity games just the ones on Facebook, and for now, my computer seems fine, although sometimes my computer does freeze up. If I can't overclock my current laptop, I would like to know what is the best budget Toshiba Intel Core i3 laptop? If I can overclock my laptop, I would appreciate it if those responding could give me a 'overclocking for dummies' type of book I can check out, or at least a step-by-step guide in how to do it, anything 'extra' I might need (i.e. like a new fan etc.) Thanks for the help in advance!

sashag, it's not recommended to Oc a laptop due to the heat generated, laptops do not have the ability to dissipate the heat generated when one Oc's a processor. This would be if you even had the options to do so. The chances that the BIOS on you laptop, even giving you the option to Oc are very slim. Most Oem Pc's/Laptop have the BIOS locked so one cannot Oc. Your best bet is to just get a faster laptop or build a Pc that will allow you to Oc, if that is your goal.

Back