• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Top Blowhole...Intake or Exhaust??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Codeman05

Well I'm bored so I was thinking about putting in a blowhole in the top of my case. But I couldn't remember if it should blow into the case or out.
I've currently got 2 80mm intakes upfront and 2 80mm exhaust fans in the rear.

Oh, and also...is there any program that can read GF4 gpu temps?? thx

Blow Out because the hot air is at the top of the case. Hot air rises, Cold air Sinks. ;)

I do not think the gf4 has any kind of thermal reader in it.

Not so fast. Try it both ways and check the results. Like Hoot
used to say forced circulation beats the natural tendency for
heat to rise. ----Not a direct quote, but close :)

You might wanna consider positive vs. negative pressure also, since you currently seem to have about equal CFM intake and exhaust. Adding a top exhaust will give negative inside pressure and draw dust in. If i were you id add a side blowhole intake above the proc and a top exhaust (both with about the same CFM).

That or just turn your present exhaust fans around so that all down below are intake with the one blowhole in the top going out. (I found that having 4+some minis blowing in and only my PSU blowing out actually dropped the ambient temp in my rig about 3C compared to 2+minis in and 2+PSU out)

DWolf:cool:

Well, I just I'm going to try the side fan as soon as my Acrylic window sheet comes in, I don't feel like trying to cut glass hehe.
Now with a side fan blowing onto the cpu, would a top blowhole work better do you think??
Thanks!

Well I just tried it blowing into the case and CPU temp dropped 3C (comparing before and after fan after running prime for an hour)...not sure how much the case dropped, I forgot to check before hand hehe. When my better fan comes in I'll try both ways to see which works out better.

interesting. guess it makes sense that there is more turbulence and airflow internaly. instead of just sucking a bit of heat out.

~z

well reguardless of the fact that hot air rises, I get better temps with the fan blowing in...maybe has something to do with the airflow in my case. I think I've got enough air moving quick enough that it dosen't rise so much before its sucked out. But when I just in the side fan blowing on the CPU that might change things

Back