• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Transform a tablet into a barebone

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RAM 994

I have a chinese tablet with a 4 core Intel Cherry Trail Z8350 which honestly performs better than I could expect. Sadly, the battery life and wifi strength are very poor so it can hardly be considered portable.

My idea is to use it as a living room barebone, remove the screen and battery, maybe try to improve the wifi antenna, maybe put it in other case and even put some passive cooler on it to push the frequency to its max.

I guess someone should have done something like this before, so I'm looking for any kind of advice or ideas! :D

:welcome:

Can't help, tried tablets but always liked laptops better. My pixelbook does transform into a tablet but I only do that rarely.

Good luck with the project and keep us updated.:cheers:

Any updates on this?

For the wifi antenna, chances are it's integrated and you probably won't be able to do much. If you're willing to grab a USB adapter, it opens you up some.

Heatsinks? That's easy, slap the biggest hunk of metal you can find on it, make it cry.

Other ideas? I doubt there's too much to play around with, most of the internals are soldered on. Only direction I can come up with would be to turn it into some type of AIO - build it into a desk or put it behind a dumb TV to turn it into a smart TV.

Back