• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to decide on a case...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Hey guys I been trying to decide on a new case and would like to get a premium case to keep for many years to come. Air cooling is primary with options for future water cooling. I need I guess options and such so here are the list of cases I have been looking into.

-Full Towers-
Phanteks Enthoo Primo Series
NZXT Phantom 820
EVGA DG-87

-Mid Towers-
Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV ATX GLASS
silverstone primera pm01 (RGB/FX)
Crystal Series 570X RGB
Corsair Carbide Air 740

I am looking for high airflow performance / water cooling capability, room, expandability, and style.

All those cases you listed are high quality cases. The only one I wasn't familiar with was the EVGA DG-87. That thing is a monster case and has some nice features you won't find on others.

I have become a Phanteks Phan-boi after building in my Luxe and I'm currently finishing another build for a friend in another Luxe. They really are great cases.

All those cases you listed are high quality cases. The only one I wasn't familiar with was the EVGA DG-87. That thing is a monster case and has some nice features you won't find on others.

I have become a Phanteks Phan-boi after building in my Luxe and I'm currently finishing another build for a friend in another Luxe. They really are great cases.

I see the Luxe with Tempered Glass looks amazing and was tempted to go that route. I almost ended up adding the Dark Pro 900 case to the list but I forgot why I choose not to. The EVGA DG-87 by it self is like 50lbs. lol damn thing is huge and heavy so I may not go that route due to the fact I have no idea were I would place such a case. Hahaha. My goal right now is air cooling not sure if any of those case are good for that or not.

I have been looking online for updated towers that fall into those category or mid size that provide a lot of flexibility and such.

Last edited:
Looking at that be quiet! Dark Pro 900, looks to be a pretty cool case.

Updates: After looking at a few videos it seems it would be hard to keep it looking nice and clean with the cables and such. I like the flexibility for inverted motherboard layout.

Update: Na, I pass on that case I am still stuck between the EVGA DG-87 and the Phanteks Primo SE.

Last edited:
I have tried both a Corsair and a Fractal Designs case and I can confidently say that I will go back to Phanteks on the next build. I have yet to find a case that is more rigid/solid and more well put together than a Phanteks.

I have tried both a Corsair and a Fractal Designs case and I can confidently say that I will go back to Phanteks on the next build. I have yet to find a case that is more rigid/solid and more well put together than a Phanteks.

That is good to know, I am still learning toward that Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE with the white in the inside and black on the out side.

Phantek for the win! I have used a lot of cases and prefer aluminum cases with little to no plastic. The phanteks evolv case with plexiglass window is amazing because the the side panels swing open with no thumb screws. The side panel uses a push pin style clip to hold the panel closed and can be opened with one hand. The entire side panel can be removed if you lift it off the swing arms. The case is by far the best build quality I've had the pleasure to build in.

Cases I've owned;
Lian LI PC-A55B
Nzxt phantom 820
Corsair 750d
Ncase M1
Silverstone FT02

All of those cases do not compare in quality to the phantek evolv.

Phantek for the win! I have used a lot of cases and prefer aluminum cases with little to no plastic. The phanteks evolv case with plexiglass window is amazing because the the side panels swing open with no thumb screws. The side panel uses a push pin style clip to hold the panel closed and can be opened with one hand. The entire side panel can be removed if you lift it off the swing arms. The case is by far the best build quality I've had the pleasure to build in.

Cases I've owned;
Lian LI PC-A55B
Nzxt phantom 820
Corsair 750d
Ncase M1
Silverstone FT02

All of those cases do not compare in quality to the phantek evolv.

Damn nice to know about the phantek evolv, I had never used one so I can't say. How is the cooling on that case?

The cooling is pretty good considering I'm using only the fans the case came with I have two 140 mm intakes at the front and one 140 mm exhaust at the back of the case. I have two GTX 980's in SLI that are reference style blower coolers and a overclock 6800k at 4.1ghz. The GPUs max out at around 77-80*c with no throttling and the 6800k runs cool around the 64-70*c under full load. I would like to add more fans but I like how quite the my system is right now. The case also has amazing dust filters that cover the entire front intake that can be popped off and washed with no hassle.

The cooling is pretty good considering I'm using only the fans the case came with I have two 140 mm intakes at the front and one 140 mm exhaust at the back of the case. I have two GTX 980's in SLI that are reference style blower coolers and a overclock 6800k at 4.1ghz. The GPUs max out at around 77-80*c with no throttling and the 6800k runs cool around the 64-70*c under full load. I would like to add more fans but I like how quite the my system is right now. The case also has amazing dust filters that cover the entire front intake that can be popped off and washed with no hassle.
Damn that sound amazing. I always wanted that tower. I forget to list it on my case search prior to buying a case. So for a mid side tower you think that is the best out? Tempered glass or none?

Funny I ask the question but notice you like the one that the panel swing open. I want the Tempered Glass one but I have kids and music intrumetns and such. I am worry it will one day get hit just right were the glass will break. So I may go the route you went with the swinging arms if I grab that case. ;)

Last edited:
Great choice Angel.

Thanks Blaylock , I figure I go that route instead and have a nice mid tower to setup instead of a full tower. XD I always wanted one of those so here is my chance. Sadly I didn't go for tempered glass due to kids and my music instruments around were the case is going to be. Would hate to shatter a glass in my studio. lol

I need to add this case to the list. I have the ITX but not the ATX. That's gonna change. :)

I need to add this case to the list. I have the ITX but not the ATX. That's gonna change. :)

Oh lol! nice, I think once i build my server to run 24/7 it will be in a Luxe or Primo not sure yet. Once I move if my wife want to game back again I will build her a nice ITX powerful desktop. =) I think I will stick with Phanteks I just like their stuff so much better. :D

I'm late to this party, but I'm a huge fan of Phanteks, too. As often as Blaylock and I throw the name out at people they should be sending us kickbacks. LOL. There are so many nice cases available anymore I won't live long enough to build in every one I want to try, even if I could afford it. If I ever win the lottery some lucky charity is going to get a lot of really nice computers. :D

I'm late to this party, but I'm a huge fan of Phanteks, too. As often as Blaylock and I throw the name out at people they should be sending us kickbacks. LOL. There are so many nice cases available anymore I won't live long enough to build in every one I want to try, even if I could afford it. If I ever win the lottery some lucky charity is going to get a lot of really nice computers. :D

Oh yea, lol it sound like you guys have way more cases than I ever had. XD But that is cool, I wish I had that kind of luxury to build into many case but in my end I have to sell something to get something. XD At this point I sold my Enthoo Pro with some GT fans to make the cost for this other case. :) Same was for my Ryzen setup and gtx 1070. lol

I've built a lot more rigs than I've owned. It's kind of like when friends and family have software problems, and someone says "I know a guy. He knows about computers". That was back in the XP days when I knew everything. Now I know just enough to know I don't know anything. Turns out if I just put it together for them right the first time I do a lot fewer repairs. :D . It's great experience and I love building stuff. There's nothing like having a pile of parts and turning it in to something cool. Bikes, cars, computers, it's all the same sense of accomplishment for me.

Don't mind the mess in the corner. It's just my current build's holding station. There's a couple Phanteks cases there to see though. :) Hopefully a few more soon.
20170511_231603.jpg

Back