• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trying to get best picture to HDTV

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
LandShark said:
using the 9x.xx forceware driver, there's noise reduction and sharpening under the video section of the driver setting app. :cool:

AHHHHHH I SEE!

hey sry man its gonna be another day for that screen shot... im pretty sick today and really dont feel like gettin off my *** :beer:

hey im sry guys but its gonna be a coupla days, driver cleaner todally skrewed up my htpc somehow... n e ways it needs and needed a reformat so ima reformat and get screen shots of:

Windows media player w/o purevideo
Windows media player w/ pruevideo
Windows media player w/ purevideo + 10% NR + 50% edge enhancements
Zoom player + windvd decoders
Zoom player + purevideo + ffdshow

all this will be screen shots of ice age the meltdown, and a resolution probably just under 1920x1080

and mabey some other movies.

nd4spdbh2 said:
well you see powerdvd produces no where near the picture quiality i can get out of ffdshow and purevideo

yea, but according to your previous post you used powerdvd 6, which wouldn't use the hardware acceleration from purevideo. You'll need version 7, which should obviously have a substantial increase in IQ using purevideo.

Also of note, don't forget to enable inverse telecine in the control panel, very important!

soulrider4ever said:
yea, but according to your previous post you used powerdvd 6, which wouldn't use the hardware acceleration from purevideo. You'll need version 7, which should obviously have a substantial increase in IQ using purevideo.

Also of note, don't forget to enable inverse telecine in the control panel, very important!

oh yes... i did how ever forget to mention that i dowloaded powerdvd7 trial and saw no image difference.

ima get to reformatting my htpc soon

btw for the FFDshow download... how in the world is rev .610 a newer version than .736?

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ffdshow.cfm/rev__610__20061201

nd4spdbh2 said:
oh yes... i did how ever forget to mention that i dowloaded powerdvd7 trial and saw no image difference.

ima get to reformatting my htpc soon

btw for the FFDshow download... how in the world is rev .610 a newer version than .736?

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ffdshow.cfm/rev__610__20061201
b/c it's still beta.

This is the latest stable version of this software. There is a newer beta version (rev. 740 (20070105)) available. The beta version might have new features compared to the stable version, but may also be more unstable.

dont know about you guys and all your fancy software and dvd software but i have a simpler solution.

remove all the dvd player software install ffdshow + media player classic, and bam perfect picture quality, my mpc uses ffdshow and purevideo plus loads up a few other codecs for dvd, avi and other media.

and i dont have to fuss with proprietary software or cumbersome and annoying dvd player software. i used to use powerdvd and windvd and there was another one, but i found they all take to long to load, dont give enough options to skip through dvd, many of them disable the navigation menu to prevent u skipping FBI warnings.

MPC loads in about 1 second, u click on open DVD, it plays dvd, then you click navigate and go straight to root menu, no fuss no hassle. The advantage to MPC is it not only plays yours DVDs but it plays every single other piece of media you could possibly think of.

cons: no random option (uses randomise playlist sort option)

hmm well i got zoom player, ffdshow, and purevideo decoders working... on my hdtv and the picture quality is utterly amazing... one problem though... its almost like i get tearing of the picture. i get hard horizontal lines quite a bit... could this be because there is not enought processing power... im almost taxing out my lil p4 2.8... man i wish i could use hardware acceleration on my 6600gt...

EDIT.... i can turn resizing off in ffdshow to bring down cpu usage to 20-30% and i still get these horizontal lines.

EDIT #2... i followed THIS tutorial to get purevideo with ffdshow and Media player classic to work... problem is purevideo wont start up... and i would really like to use purevideo for deinterlacing and color correction.

Last edited:
OK fixed the purevideo prob... i got MPC, ffdshow (for sharpening, noise removal, and scaling), and purevideo video and audio codecs (for flawless deinterlacing, video picture options such as brightness, and audio control) ALL working together in a perfect harmony!

I seriously didnt think i could get much better after i found just purevideo but these 3 programs combind are.... well words cant describe... the picture quality that im gettin that i can see on my 62inch DLP... is nothing like i have seen before.

plus my lil ole P4 2.8c can handle it... at my current settings im using right about 75% cpu usage while playing a dvd so im not dropping any frames which i could not stand for.

EDIT: sorry for like posting a bunch in a row

soulrider4ever said:
Let's get a lil tutorial on how to get that setup with mpc, and screenies plz!

HEY now... i can only do soooo much :beer: ... naw plan on a tutorial on MCP + FFDSHOW + PUREVIDEO / other audio and video codecs soon...

Actually im sort of surprised you guys didnt know about MPC, iv been using it for a couple years now, and since ffdshow came out and the latest divx codec its been even better.

@ nd4spdbh2 : are you able to do a couple screens of picture quality through mpc and say your older setup?

Glad its working for you but bro ;)

Phrenetical said:
Actually im sort of surprised you guys didnt know about MPC, iv been using it for a couple years now, and since ffdshow came out and the latest divx codec its been even better.

@ nd4spdbh2 : are you able to do a couple screens of picture quality through mpc and say your older setup?

Glad its working for you but bro ;)

im having trouble taking screenies.... i either get a black image or i can "see" the video through the pasted print screen image... i kno this has to do with overlays and what not but i cant figure it out... but i can tell you right now i dont need screenies to see the difference its that much...

Back