• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to get my settings correct on Windows 7 please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi there,

I have a few things I would like to change in my Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate.

First and main issue is I want to turn off those annoying thumbnail previews you get when you highlight something on the bottom of the taskbar. I have tried the gpedit.msc way which doesn't turn this function off. I know when I turn off desktop composition it will then disable my colored toolbar the standard color which isn't changeable.

Basically what I want is to keep my custom colored toolbar with the nice looking windows 7 toolbar and have that super annoying thumbnail preview thing turned off (It makes it annoying when gaming).

I would also like to know if there is a way to make it so when I click something on the taskbar I can have the traditional maximize and minimize function in the right click rather than the annoying new thing.

Also another thing I have noticed and would like help with is the text on screen it all seems to be looking smooth but then there is abit of it where it looks like it has not been smoothed out its really obvious and I don't understand what is causing it have done full win 7 updates aswell.

Regards,

Time-Bandit.

Last edited:
I hear you brother. Annoying as hell.
[To disable taskbar thumbnail preview, there is a setting for it but it does not work in any version of Windows: Double click on Turn off taskbar thumbnails > Enabled > OK ]
So here's the only workaround I found:

Go to this registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
> Right click on Advanced and select New DWORD and name it
ExtendedUIHoverTime

Double click on it and give it a large value like 99999999
This effectively disables taskbar thumbnail preview because you would have to hover over the task bar for a long time to actually see a thumbnail preview.

As for the rest, you seem to be saying some sort of a right click option is available in Windows XP but not Windows 7?
Please clarify further.

Display issues are problematic to resolve because they may or may not be part of your hardware.
But I like to do this
* Start Menu > Control Panel > System and Security > System > Remote settings >

Advanced TAB > [Under Performance] Settings… button >
UNCHECK everything that starts with "Fade" or "Slide" > OK

Thanks for the reply.

The change to the hover time has pretty much solved the preview thumbnail issue thanks for that.

- All I am meaning is when you right click on an application or something that is open on the taskbar back in older windows versions it would straight out give you the option to maximize or minimize however in Windows 7 you can't do that you just get the option to close window or pin to taskbar or open the application I would like to know if there is a way to make it so when I right click on taskbar application it will give me the option to maximize minimize like in previous windows versions.

- Regarding my display issues I already have all fade/slide options turned off. I have noticed it seems to be every second line of text looks abit different to the first and 3rd line eg all odd lines look the same and all even lines of text look the same. Have tried removing drivers/updating but it still looks the same when I was on Vista never had this issue. I am running on a non recommended resolution on windows 7. I changed it to recommended and all the text looks the same however I would prefer it at a lower resolution. I tried other resolutions and it seems each one looks generally worse as I drop resolution.

- I have another new issue regarding my xHCI Root Hub 0 for some reason it isn't working (have been doing windows updates) I swear its this gigabyte board no idea how to fix it again have removed and tried to reinstall w/o anyluck.

What they did was they made it so that when you CLICK on the item in the Taskbar it maximizes.
You click again - it minimizes.
It takes some getting used to if you are used to right click minimize/maximize instead of just clicking to minimize/maximize.
This cannot be changed, unless an entirely new program is installed, and I don't know of any.

As for your resolution problem, yes, that is what happens on lower resolutions.
You should run it at the highest resolution you can and then do this to make things bigger, but be warned doing this affects everything and sometimes not in a good way:
* Right click on Desktop > Personalize > Display (lower left) > Medium – 120% > OK > Apply > Log off now > Log back in

Sounds like driver issues on the hub.

Blast guess I have to put up with the windows 7 way of doing things.

Resolution solved just had to change it to abit lower and working fine again.

Was a driver issue had to get the drive from mobo website.

Back