• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to source this Chinese ITX NAS Case (NSC-800)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hello, I just got a quote from U-NAS. For 1 NSC-800 Unit, cost is $199.99 + 24.99 Shipping. If you buy 10 then they drop it down to 172.83 + $19.99 Shipping. They will have them in stock this month.

How did you contact U-NAS? I've been calling them all week and the answering machine says they are not taking calls. I got the number from u-nas.com and the number I was calling was 1-918-935-2006.

I just tried contacting them via their sales email address and received a response the same day. Their response confirms the single unit info provided by dracosensei. i.e. $199.99 + $24.99 shipping, availability. buy the end of the month

You guys want to do a group purchasE?
Unfortunately, from the rules in the classifieds section:

We have decided against allowing "Group Buy" type transactions, please do not post them, as thoughtful as they might be to offer others, it can easily turn into a logistical nightmare, and even a liability of sorts. sorry, but "Group buys" are not allowed.

I know 25 bucks is nothing to sneeze at, but 225 is already on the low-ish end of what it was before with buyfromtaobao.

I know 25 bucks is nothing to sneeze at, but 225 is already on the low-ish end of what it was before with buyfromtaobao.

Compare to the $800 - $1200 QNAP and Synology are asking, $225 is a drop in the bucket. I'm pulling the trigger as soon as they have them in stock.

Update to my previous post question ^. After emailing u-nas sales, I learned that while the 4 bay comes with a power supply, the 8 bay does not.

It would have to be a 1U Power Supply with length less than 230mm, according to the company.

http://www.newegg.com/Server-Power-Supplies/SubCategory/ID-520?Order=PRICE&Pagesize=100

Looking in that list, I'm hoping to get a 300 watt (or more) for under 70 bucks. In the first 3 rows, a lot of reviewers complain about noise and their psus becoming extremely hot.

This guy for $65 is a 400 watt 1u and there are no complaints about noise. I'm probably getting that one.

Anything more expensive there aren't reviews so I can't say.

Not familar with the other brands, but I will tell you that anything Supermicro will be loud. I have a 1U Supermicro PSU and that 40mm makes some noise. I believe it's a 250w but it's in storage at the moment so I can't look at it; it powers dual L5320s and a hard drive without an issue.

Okay, I'm starting get a little impatient!!! Is u-nas ever going to stock the NSC-800? I was told they were going to have them at the end of February, then they stated sometime in March. It's now April!!! :mad: Man, What The Fuuuuuuuuu......!!!

This is what they told me 2 days ago:

"The NSC-800 is in the final process of fabrication and will be ready soon."

I take it to mean another 2 - 3 weeks, but that <-- would be quoting me, not them. :)

This is what they told me 2 days ago:

"The NSC-800 is in the final process of fabrication and will be ready soon."

I take it to mean another 2 - 3 weeks, but that <-- would be quoting me, not them. :)

I'm not calling you a lair, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Meantime in between time, what hardware are you guys thinking about putting in your NAS?

I'm not calling you a lair, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Meantime in between time, what hardware are you guys thinking about putting in your NAS?

If you're going to "insult" me, at least do so with correct spelling.
I kid of course, and I hope you were doing so as well.

What I've got planned so far:

64gb SSD (just ordered it)
RAID Card (just ordered it)

Athena Power Supply 1U 400watt

i3-2100
Gigabyte GA-H61N mobo

WD Red 3TB Hard Drives (Got 1 from Amazon already and will be ordering more over time)

As far as "misc. parts go", gonna need 2 of the (SAS to 4 Sata cable), slim cpu cooler (u-nas folks say there will be around 45mm clearance so the 30mm - 40mm coolers previously discussed will become necessary.

I prefer to buy from amazon whenever possible since I don't have to pay sales tax (whereas for newegg I do) and their DOA policy is better as they provide me with a return shipping label and I don't have to pay return shipping fee. For example, the WD Red drive I ordered, the first one was defective and I am very happy with how promptly and <without additional cost to me> they replaced it.

Anything I'm missing here?

It wasn't an insult, I should have proof read that post.

Anywho, your list looks good. Have you decided what OS you're going to use? I was like about FreeNas. FreeNas allows port aggregation. With that said I'm thinking about a dual NIC mobo. Other than that pretty solid list.

Oh, forgot to add: 4gb RAM, but maybe will bring that up to 6gb. That's low-ish on my list of priorities.

My current file serving and downloading is taken care of with old laptops running Windows 7 Ultimate and external hard drives, hardwired to my Asus N66R Router.
If I wanted to use FreeNAS, I would just install it on those laptops and call it a day. Those computers run multiple torrent clients 24/7, serve 6tb worth of externals via Win7 networking (mostly homegroup), and I manage all this off my desk laptop (with a 1080p screen) via remote desktop. Those servers have to render themselves, along with web browsers running on them, in 1080p. Core 2 Duo and 3gb ram isn't cutting it any more.

I'm planning to image my primary server laptop (again, Win 7 Ultimate) to the server os SSD and see how that works out. Actually saves me time, and there's no potential for loss. If that doesn't work out I've got a copy of Windows Server 2012 ready to go. I'm just happy with the way all pcs are win 7 (and main desk laptop is win8) - they're on the same level. I don't need a server to manage them, just to talk to them. That being said, Win Server will do what I need it to do, I just don't need most of those features and frankly they have annoyed me with the limited time I've spent exploring it.

Oh, and this server is going to also be the host for windows backup (both from my main desk-laptop which has a 240gb SSD + 750gb HDD and my ultrabook with a 128gb SSD.

I don't need features like dual NIC. At least, I don't think.

Guys I have a question. What would you like to see in a MITX motherboard. I am working with Gigabyte on a concept MITX montherboard. I know we have everything right. I would release it here but cannot do so yet.

Guys I have a question. What would you like to see in a MITX motherboard. I am working with Gigabyte on a concept MITX montherboard. I know we have everything right. I would release it here but cannot do so yet.

I would very much like to see a MITX Board with:

Intel E3-1200 Support
ECC Ram Support
Intel VT-d Support
2x NIC

The Kicker would be an onboard LSI SAS2008 (or newer) for 8 Port SAS/SATA support.
But I think that would raise the price to much.

There are no board MITX that have these features Combined. The intel S1200KPR Comes close, but no VT-d or LSI SAS2008.
These things are essential to make a Small form factor Home-Server.
It would be good for Storage server or ESXI

Back