• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to source this Chinese ITX NAS Case (NSC-800)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Guys I have a question. What would you like to see in a MITX motherboard. I am working with Gigabyte on a concept MITX montherboard. I know we have everything right. I would release it here but cannot do so yet.

Intel E3-1200 Support
ECC Ram Support
Intel VT-d Support
2x NIC

This.

Though to expand on those NIC's, I would like to see both NIC's being at least Intel 82574L NIC's, and not having any of them be a Realtek NIC or even the less supported 82579LM (there are some ESXi workarounds, but if a test board is being put together, do it right the first time).

In my dream-machine, the addition of an 8-port LSI SAS2008 would be fantastic for enthusiasts, though I could live with continuing to use up my one and only PCIe slot for a HBA. However, VT-d does become the real killer feature. It is a must-have for a sandbox board for myself.

And... if we're dreaming... why not support 32GB of ram since that's what our socket 1155 cpu's can support. However, I have yet to see an Intel mini-ITX board that supports 32GB, though I feel like I have seen mITX AMD boards that do...

This.

Though to expand on those NIC's, I would like to see both NIC's being at least Intel 82574L NIC's, and not having any of them be a Realtek NIC or even the less supported 82579LM (there are some ESXi workarounds, but if a test board is being put together, do it right the first time).

In my dream-machine, the addition of an 8-port LSI SAS2008 would be fantastic for enthusiasts, though I could live with continuing to use up my one and only PCIe slot for a HBA. However, VT-d does become the real killer feature. It is a must-have for a sandbox board for myself.

And... if we're dreaming... why not support 32GB of ram since that's what our socket 1155 cpu's can support. However, I have yet to see an Intel mini-ITX board that supports 32GB, though I feel like I have seen mITX AMD boards that do...

Yes, Intel 82574L NIC's Would be great. I think the reason that some boards support 32 GB is are that they have 4 DIMM slots, where they can only fit 2 on mITX.

I think the reason that some boards support 32 GB is are that they have 4 DIMM slots, where they can only fit 2 on mITX.

Check out a board like the: ASRock FM2A85X-ITX or ASRock FM2A85X-ITX.

Both have 2×240pin, but support 32GB total (according to NewEgg at least).

I figure it's because they're actually full-size DIMMs instead of SO-DIMMs, and thus they have 16GB DIMMs available to use.

Don't get me wrong, even a Kingston 16GB 240-Pin DDR3 Desktop Memory Model (KVR13LR9D4L/16) is still $350 per DIMM, but at least I'd have the option to use it if I want. :)

But just imagine a mini-itx motherboard with an E3-1265Lv2 (45W TDP), with 32GB of ECC DDR3, all in that NSC-800.

That's the perfect little low-power ESXi home lab and storage unit all-in-one.

Last edited:
I would very much like to see a MITX Board with:

Intel E3-1200 Support
ECC Ram Support
Intel VT-d Support
2x NIC

The Kicker would be an onboard LSI SAS2008 (or newer) for 8 Port SAS/SATA support.
But I think that would raise the price to much.

There are no board MITX that have these features Combined. The intel S1200KPR Comes close, but no VT-d or LSI SAS2008.
These things are essential to make a Small form factor Home-Server.
It would be good for Storage server or ESXI

^ +1. And don't place the CPU socket too close to the expansion card slot. :clap:

I would very much like to see a MITX Board with:

Intel E3-1200 Support
ECC Ram Support
Intel VT-d Support
2x NIC

The Kicker would be an onboard LSI SAS2008 (or newer) for 8 Port SAS/SATA support.
But I think that would raise the price to much.

There are no board MITX that have these features Combined. The intel S1200KPR Comes close, but no VT-d or LSI SAS2008.
These things are essential to make a Small form factor Home-Server.
It would be good for Storage server or ESXI

Just go mATX for that. mITX for servers? With just up to two memory sticks? No way. OK, maybe for a dedicated file server running ZFS.

Just go mATX for that. mITX for servers? With just up to two memory sticks? No way. OK, maybe for a dedicated file server running ZFS.

This thread is specifically about the NSC-800 NAS Case which is ITX ;)

I agree with the suggestion for dual Intel NIC's, but I have no plans on upgrading my NSC-800 NAS anytime soon (aside from an array expansion with 2TB drives).

:cool:

To the person that recently said that the NSC-800 release was way overdue, I am starting to feel it. I check the u-nas website at least once a day now, in hopes. Any day now, I hope.

To the person that recently said that the NSC-800 release was way overdue, I am starting to feel it. I check the u-nas website at least once a day now, in hopes. Any day now, I hope.

E-mail sales. It sounds like they are doing a manufacturing run here themselves, but there were some delays with the backplane. However, even though it's not for sale via the website, they are taking orders for US customers and are fulfilling them by ordering from the Chinese vendor for you (and you won't have to pay the $100 shipping from China).

E-mail sales. It sounds like they are doing a manufacturing run here themselves, but there were some delays with the backplane. However, even though it's not for sale via the website, they are taking orders for US customers and are fulfilling them by ordering from the Chinese vendor for you (and you won't have to pay the $100 shipping from China).

So, to clarify, the u-nas delays are because they are trying to manufacture in the United States?
Would you say the Chinese vendor is on par with a U.S. production, quality wise?

Yeah, I check u-nas.com a few times a day. I'm starting to think the website is fake. No one answers the customer service number, the address looks a little fraudulent (looked at the address on google maps), and you can't get a straight answer from customer service via email. Do you know of any one that has bought anything from u-nas.com?

I really hope I'm wrong but things aren't adding up...

Yeah, I check u-nas.com a few times a day. I'm starting to think the website is fake. No one answers the customer service number, the address looks a little fraudulent (looked at the address on google maps), and you can't get a straight answer from customer service via email. Do you know of any one that has bought anything from u-nas.com?

I really hope I'm wrong but things aren't adding up...

I mean I've had some emails with them about availability, and given the level of details I was provided with I was convinced things were legit.
I've chalked it up to production delays and a sketchy company, but many China-based businesses are like that. Doesn't mean that they don't deliver, albeit the quality, shipping times, and bad customer service are not so favorable.

Just another Hong Kong company in my book.

Just remember to pay with a credit card/ paypal and you shouldn't have any problems.

Following up my last post, it's been 4 days and I haven't heard back from them yet. I asked for a status update.

Sorry for triple posting, but an update for those that are interested:

Sales replied yesterday, saying that the backplane has not yet been delivered by the supplier, and they should have that in next week.

"I hope it will soon be ready."
-Their words. :)

Sorry for triple posting, but an update for those that are interested:

Sales replied yesterday, saying that the backplane has not yet been delivered by the supplier, and they should have that in next week.

"I hope it will soon be ready."
-Their words. :)

:bang head

Confirmed. Just got an e-mail update last night as well.

After a long time delay the NSC-800 is finally ready for shipping. In order to let you get the chassis early we will ship it directly to you from our fabrication division with the same shipping rate---$24.99 to US.

You can now order it from our online store at: www.u-nas.com

Yupp, that's what they said to me, but also included the Direct-From-Hong-Kong shipping rate that they were going to absorb as a courtesy because of how long the delays were.
No objections, and it's appreciated, but they are still going to profit on these sales. Big time.

As if on queue, Amazon has WD Red 3TB drive for an all time low of $134.99. I bought mine 5 weeks ago at $139.99 which until today was the all time low price. So get them while you can while I try to convince myself to get another one.

I'm making a post in the hot deals thread now: Link

Newegg has them at 134.99 as well

Cool. I know Newegg has had that price once before. Only thing is that I'm in NJ so I have to pay sales tax on Newegg but not on Amazon [yet]. Also I like how Amazon handles their returns better because there's a chance that this drive will be DOA (mine was) and Amazon took care of that at no charge but I'm pretty sure I would have had to pay return shipping with Newegg.

Personal preference I guess for the residents of the 47 online-sales-tax-free states.

I purchased my chassis the other night and now I'm meticulously picking my hardware. I plan to run FreeNas 8 as the OS. This is what I have so far. Let me know what you guys think....

Mobo/Processor Combo:
Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI and Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz - $235

Low Profile CPU Fan:
Silverstone NT07-775 - $20

Raid Card:
SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 PCI-Express x4 Low Profile SAS RAID Controller - $110
or
HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL 8-Port PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SAS/SATA RAID Controller - $155
* I've seen these cheaper on ebay.

Power Supply:
Athena Power AP-U1ATX40P8 - $90
or
Seasonic SS-350M1U - $65
*I'm leaning toward the Seasonic

I'm not to worried nor have I decided on memory. Eventually I plan to purchase 16gbs. I'm also waiting to find a ridiculous discounted price on the 3TB WD Red Drives before I purchase any.

Do you guys think any of this is overkill? Did I forgot anything? Whatcha think?

Back