• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tubing question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wannaoc

Ok, I did a search for tubing and found that I should use ClearFlex 60 or 70 or Tygon tubing, but very few said which size is the best or most common among parts. Should I try and go with 1/2" OD 3/4" ID or go with the 1/2" ID? I want to use the most common in parts as I'm trying to keep my adapters down. Let me know what size you use please.

For example the D-Tek TC-4 block. Is that 1/2" barbs, making it ready for 1/2" ID tubing?

Last edited:
ClearFlex60 is the same as tygon, same material

Go with clearflex60 1/2 ID not OD

Most watercooling parts are either 10mm or 12mm
1/2ID comes approximately to 12mm

ack that 3dmark score is horrible i had an 8500le that would kick that scores butt got it all the way to 11,800

oh and i would say go with 1/2id it is fairly common and helps out with temps

nah i was just saying that because the ati radeon 9600 has half the shaders i believe compared to the 9500pro
see the 9500pro is a 9700pro with half the bandwidth then ati realised they needed to seperate their product line so the 9600pro i bleive has a higherclock speed but fewer pixel shaders * might be wrong on that one

Well I originally went with Tygon, but now have been converted to Clearflex.

Someone said it's the same material. Mine certainly isn't. My Tygon was about 1/8" wall thickness and didn't kink easily, but tended to flatten out when you have to put in a curve. The Clearflex is about 1/4" wall thickness, has a slight blue tint to it and can be curved anywhere and retains its shape. Plus it costs a helluvalot less.

Yeah, make sure it's 1/2" ID. Anytime you see "1/2 barbs" on a waterblock, or radiator, or resevoir, they mean the barbs are 1/2" OD, which mates perfectly to your 1/2" ID tubing :)

I hope no one here confused you.
If you really need a better grip, I can make chart for you, these guys surely didn't//

I got it I think. As stated in the posts when I buy a 1/2" barbed waterblock that means it will hold 1/2" ID tubing, the OD only depends on how thick the wall is...Right?

John Guest and tubing question

Hello guys.

On a similar note. I have 5/16"ID, 7/16"OD and 1/16"Wall thickness (note sure but have emailed HighspeedPC to clarify wall thickness) Tygon R-3603 tubing. I now have the John Guest speed fittings I was looking for and they require tube inserts to prevent leaks. Seems that the general tubing that came with the Innovatek parts I have fit the 3/8"OD hole and tube insert (1mm thick tubing but prone to kinks) but the Tygon tubing for the 8mm and 3/8"OD fittings is just a tad thick. It fits in the the hole without the tube insert but is too thick with it in there.

My question is now, what route should I go?

Should I get a smaller OD or should I try to find a smaller wall thickness.

Secondly if that is the case how can I be sure I am measuring out the right thickness for the size I need to fit in the JG fittings. I am very interested in how I should go about this and any links about tubing and measuring diameters correctly for these fittings would be helpful.

Thanks in advance. . .

If you have John Guest part numbers, search Google for John Guest and go to their site. They have all the info you should need.

You can all kiss my but LoL! I paid $6 for 20 feet of silicone tubing 2 years ago and it's in mint out of the box condition... Other than the pinnk stain left by red dye heh...

It dosen't kink badly if your routing is worth a crap and if you can live without a perfectly clear color. Why spend $20+ on tubing? That's insane! You could turn right around and buy the next best component like pump, block or something else LoL!

silicon tubing is what's preffered, for $6 i'd guess you mean vinyl tubing? it works ok for a while, and its cheap and readily available. I've been using the vinyl in mine since it's birth over a year ago. the lines are lookin a bit cloudly i think it's time for a change. I was just going to replace the vinyl, but i'd sure like somethin betta.

cheers,

J.

Yeah I guess vynal, but it sure feals like silicon to me... More plyable, but silicon nontheless.

Guess you're right...

Sorry, it's just that to me... Some things are so trivial what's the point?

Back