• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

unsolved laptop problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VakhoQ

Registered
I have Dell N7110.

Sometimes , my laptop have that problem:

screen freezes. there are too many horizontal lines, which is painting and moving up and down in the screen. It is like old TV, when it can't show channels. Also at this moment, my laptop have very strange noise - like very very very old TV, it is like buzz...

That problem have for about 6 month. Sometimes it happens once a month, sometimes once a week. The last time, then this happened, I was watching movie. Laptop was not hot. now it's winter and I use additional cooling pad too! I clean and paste it too. but there is another problem...

Yesterday, I have tested my DDR3. I use memtest86+. I was testing for about 8 hours. There was no problem.

I test VideoCards also with FurMark:

• I tested GT 525M with 1600x900 resolution, 8x MSAA - for about 10 minute.
  • I tested Intel(R) Graphic Family video Card with resolution 1600x900 0x MSAA- for about 10 minute.

there is no problem.

question: where is problem? is this caused by DDR or from videoCard? what should I do?

IMG_5630.jpg

MatherBoard:
Dell system Inspiron N7110,
Real Clock 100 MHz,
Effective Clock 100 MHz,
Chipset bus Type: Intel Direct Media Interface 2.0
North Bridge: Intel Sandy Bridge-MB IMC
South Bridge: Intel Cougar Point HM67
Intel Platform: Huron River
Supported Memory Types: DDR3-1066, DDR3-1333 SDRAM
Integrated Graphics Controller: Graphics Controller Type Intel HD Graphics 3000
BIOS Type: Phoenix EFI, BIOS Version A13

DDR:
Dual DDR3 SDRAM.
Total memory 8GB,
Real clock 667MHz,
Effective Clock 1333 MHz,
Bandwidth 21333 MHz,
Bus width 128 bit

CPUID: CPU Name Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
CPU Type: Mobile QuadCore Intel Core i7-2670QM, 2800 MHz (28 x 100)
VideoCard: Nvidia GT525M.

Video card for sure.

Got warranty? RMA it if you can.
If not, (and you like taking risks :p ) you can bake the laptop mobo in the overn, that will re-flow the solder and usually fix the video card issue you are getting.

Video card for sure.

But furmark works well. another problem is that, it's integrated graphic card (GT 525M), so I must buy full matherboard only for this :(
what do you think about RAM? might be problem is caused by DDR.. I dont know...

Video card for sure.
Got warranty? RMA it if you can.

No, I don't hava warranty :(

If not, (and you like taking risks :p ) you can bake the laptop mobo in the overn, that will re-flow the solder and usually fix the video card issue you are getting.

English is not my native language. :) what do you mean here? how to fix video card? :(

Just a wild guess, but my first instinct would be the GPU and/or motherboard.

What do you thing about Memory? (DDR, RAM);

I don't know whether problem is caused by Nvidia Video Card or CPU Integrated Intel graphic card.

How can I find the damaged hardware? I don't know which hardware should I change... :(

I quite sure this is a video card issue, as my new 6850 has the same issue. I put new thermal paste on it it works like new!

Is your laptop getting hot?
And for baking, yeah you take to motherboard out of the laptop and pit it in the over for 8 minutes at just under 400 F

I quite sure this is a video card issue, as my new 6850 has the same issue. I put new thermal paste on it it works like new!

Is your laptop getting hot?

at the moment, I was watching movies and it's for about 60-70 Celsius (Nvidia). And Intel Graphic card temperature is for about 75-85 Celsius.
is this too many? what do you think?

But I will buy Arctic Silver 5 and MX-4 and I will put new paste. :)

And for baking, yeah you take to motherboard out of the laptop and pit it in the over for 8 minutes at just under 400 F

are you joking? :D 400 Fahrenheit - its about 200 Celsius :drool::confused::rofl:

Everything will be thawed at this temperature. :shock:

Last edited:
I think no... :) it's about 65 Celsius (Nvidia). and Intel Graphic card temperature is about 75-80 Celsius.

But I will buy Arctic Silver 5 and MX-4 and I will put new paste. :)

are you joking? :D 400 Fahrenheit - its about 200 Celsius :drool::confused::rofl:

Everything will be thawed at this temperature. :shock:

It's no joke: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606658

All the solder will melt slowly and then re-harden after, repairing any micro-crack that may be causing you issue.

But put new thermal paste on if you can, then you can decide if you want to try the oven trick--it is a risk, but if you think the laptop is really straing to go downhill and you can't read the screen, you can try it. But it is a last resort option only.

at the moment, I was watching movies and it's for about 60-70 Celsius (Nvidia). And Intel Graphic card temperature is for about 75-85 Celsius.

But furmark works well. another problem is that, it's integrated graphic card (GT 525M), so I must buy full matherboard only for this :(
what do you think about RAM? might be problem is caused by DDR.. I dont know...

No, I don't hava warranty :(

Furmark works? and memtest showed no errors too.......

Hmm this is a weird one. Can you post a pic of the lines you get?

English is not my native language. :) what do you mean here? how to fix video card? :(

They are okay, 85 is getting hot for the built in video card.

Now, you have intel graphics and Nvidia graphics?

Do you get the lines on both graphic cards?

They are okay, 85 is getting hot for the built in video card.

Now, you have intel graphics and Nvidia graphics?

Do you get the lines on both graphic cards?

I have hybrid video Card. Sometimes It turns on sometimes it is off. I don't know which video card gives me that lines. it happens once a month, or once a week. I don't know ... tha't is problem...

but might be all of them, or one of them.. when I was watching film, as I know, Nvidia video card was turn off, then this happened.

But when I was playing game Nvidia was turn on... so that happened what I was playing too.. so I dont know where is problem...

Yes I have two video card. One is Nvidia. Another one is integrated in processor (i7 sandy bridge)

I have hybrid video Card. Sometimes It turns on sometimes it is off. I don't know which video card gives me that lines. it happens once a month, or once a week. I don't know ... tha't is problem...

but might be all of them, or one of them.. when I was watching film, as I know, Nvidia video card was turn off, then this happened.

But when I was playing game Nvidia was turn on... so that happened what I was playing too.. so I dont know where is problem...

Can't be both video cards going bad, sounds like your motherboard is calling it quits :(

Might be time to buy a new lappy, unless someone else on OCF can help....

I can't buy new laptop :) I must fix it :) I can't throw intel i7 laptop with 8GB RAM in the garbage :) I must fix it :)))) :))))

P.S do you mean over clocker forum when you write OCF? :)

SOS, HELP ME! :)))

what do you think , to buy only matherboard for my laptop? Is this possible to change only integrated video Card (From one matherboard to another laptop matherboard) or should I change full mather board? :)

Lets go over some things

1) if it was your ram, your computer wouldn't even boot, much less rum
2) if you're using your dedicated GPU, your integrated card shouldn't be ran.
3) GPU's "shouldnt" be causing significant heat until youre stressing it out (aka, videos wont cause problems like that)

Turn off your 525m and see if you still have these problems. If you do... then we proceed, if you dont... well sucks to be you, because that chip is EXPENSIVE.

EDIT: scratch that. Dell has a 1 year warranty on their laptops... send it back!

I can't buy new laptop :) I must fix it :) I can't throw intel i7 laptop with 8GB RAM in the garbage :) I must fix it :)))) :))))

P.S do you mean over clocker forum when you write OCF? :)

SOS, HELP ME! :)))

Yup, Overclockers forum = OCF :p

what do you think , to buy only matherboard for my laptop? Is this possible to change only integrated video Card (From one matherboard to another laptop matherboard) or should I change full mather board? :)

It's not likely that you can switch video cards in a laptop, ususally they are solder on to the motherboard.

Lets go over some things

3) GPU's "shouldnt" be causing significant heat until youre stressing it out (aka, videos wont cause problems like that)

Turn off your 525m and see if you still have these problems. If you do... then we proceed, if you dont... well sucks to be you, because that chip is EXPENSIVE.

EDIT: scratch that. Dell has a 1 year warranty on their laptops... send it back!

Try bob4933's advice, and check if you have warranty left, send it back if you do!

Lets go over some things

My Bios don't have that setting (option) in order to turn of my Nvidia GPU.

At the moment, I lunch GPU-z and My processors temperature is about 65 Celsius and my Nvidia temperature is about 50 Celsius. And Intel Graphic Card temperature is about 70 Celsius.

P.S I dont have warranty. I have a laptop for about 2.5 year. :)

Back