• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upcoming new monitor purchase, need some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I won't be going for a 22", I went to best buy the other day to look at monitors, a 22" is ABSOLUTELY HUGE!!

I won't have ROOM in my dorm for a monitor that large, so I'm going to go down to a 19", this one looks good

Last edited:
iv got that 19" mitsubishi DiamondPro930sb (until my 20.1" tft arrives) and its absolutely amazing!!! does 1280x1024 (optimal res) at 100hz - really nice to use - sharp crisp edges - brilliant range of adjustment and FANTASTIC color reproduction... i really cant explain how nice the colors on this are, iv had a lot of high end crts and this one owns them all! Plus it has 3 superbright settings - "off" (a little dull for my liking but good for night time), "superbright mode 1" for using windows and gaming (its amazing at this - farcry looks so sweet) and "superbright mode 2" for watching movies.
The only downside is this thing is heavy!! it weighs 65lb's in its box! and again its very big. Heres a pic of it next to my XaserIII -

twister_at_the_moment.jpg

I dont know man maybe its because it is a 19 inch, or maybe its because I may have got a bad apple with my 22 inch crt. Maybe it is because Viewsonic had their nasty paws on my monitor but, this p225fb is a viewsonic with a diamondtron (mitsubishi) tube. I know Nec/ Mits is supposed to be one of the best out there and actually im not denying that fact, but my brothers Sony trinitron has alot more brilliant colors and depth than this one.... but like I said MAYBE its just this one

My Two Cents

LCD mointors are getting better all the time.However they still have a lot of catching up to do.If space is an issue and money is not the the LCD's look pretty good.A perfect spot for them is at a position where deskspace concerns are more important than quality of the picture or cost. The newer LCD's are trying to close the gap but they are even more expensive.Everyone is looking foward to the time when they can provide equal or better quality at the same or less cost.
Crt's are capable of providing better quality but not all of them do.That is why it is so important to be selective when buying.generally speaking crt's need to have a lower DPI to have the outstanding quality.I have a NEC 21 inch mointor that has the best picture you could imagine it has been and still is excellent for gaming and DVD's.However it is a .26dpi and it cannot compete when compared to either of the Sony Triniton's I have.They have the advantage of 21 inch screens,a single color gun,a flat screen and a .24dpi.Of course the cost goes up as the quality goes up.All of these monitors are totally blown away by the Hitachi 21and 22 inch CAD's.these are high end graphic units with .22/.16 dpi.They are outstanding power gamming units.New they cost $1800 to $3200 bucks but can be purchased for around $500 bucks used or reconditioned.Because of this I have retired both of my Sonys.
The choice is yours but for the time being I recommend the best quality CRT you can afford while giving the LCD's time to contionue thier development.
Good Luck

If you're dead set on investing a good chunk of change into a CRT... look no further than either the Sony GDM F520 or its' sibling the G520.

The F520 is the largest, most advanced CRT on the planet. Tightest Aperture Grille dot pitch (0.22), highest refresh rates at all resolutions and beautiful image quality. Both BNC & SUB-D connectors.

The G520 is it's little brother, just about equal in performance. The difference? A few MHz of video bandwidth, reducing the G520's ability to give super-high blistering refresh rates, but putting it still in the upper echelon of CRT's.

The down side? Your wallet will beg for mercy after seeing the F520's price tag.

I dunno, I think its going to end up being a 16 ms LCD.......... the more I think about it the more I hate the idea of hauling a CRT up 4 flights of stairs to my dorm room.

but... $1099 :(

Last edited:
the debate is endless.... piont is well taken, crt's can be good, all depends on the model.
g520 is a g500 in silver/black case

Last edited:
Good Point MiNdWaRp

I understand not wanting to haul any heavy object up several flights of stars and I also understand your second thoughts about cost. If you purchase an LCD just make sure you purchase one of the best quality you can afford. This is because the newer top quality units are improvements of the earlier models. The imput from LCD users and the stickys provide you with solid info on the requirments of a good LCD...Good Luck

:::: NEWS FLASH ::::

I said in an earlier post that I thought my p225fb was going out. I came home frow work last night to find my house smelled like it was on fire. I walked back to my bedroom where my computer is and my suspicions were confirmed. my p225fb burnt up. I turn this monitor off at night before I go to sleep, I leave it off when im not around the pc. I even have an air cleaner in my room to get rid of MOST of the dust. I was forced to go back to my lcd for awhile. This monitor has a standard 3 year warranty. It is only 15 months old. The worst part is that viewsonic is going to repair it but I have to pay shipping. REPAIR??? what about NEW!!!... Shipping??? this isn't MY product OR MY warranty!!! Viewsonic corp is not a good company to do business with. I would strongly urge anyone who reads about them NOT to buy their products. Good companys are companys like KLIPSCH. My speakers were defective and they did EVERYTHING. They paid for shipping, sent me a new set, I think they reset my warranty (could be wrong on that one) They didnt just send me a new set... they OVERNIGHTED me a new set. People like "that" are the people that will continue to get my business. Viewsonic has seen its last sale with at least this one person. IF I can save anyone else the heartache of having to deal with them then ill be happy.

kudoos for Sony

I am personally aware of two cases of Sony Trintrons(3 year warranty) where Sony gave the customer the option to return the mointor to where they bought it for replacement or Sony would pay the shipping to return the dammaged mointor and pay for the shipping for the replacement.I guess we now know why Sony has a better repetation than Viewsonic(they also have much better picture).Sorry about your situtation Good Luck on your replacement decision..........

i have both the dell 2001fp and nec 2070sb and for gaming the CRT wins hands down....for web surfing and office apps i like the lcd better....just to clarify...the lcd plays all my games without problems....just the crt looks better in terms of quality of picture

Back