• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade Options - Heat Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Badussy

Registered
So the biggest issue I seem to be having with my rig is heat and its older...

x3350 @ 3.6ghz (1.3v)
Gigabyte x38-ds4
2x Sapphire 6850's (825/1050)
Antec EA-750
1920x1200 gaming

Normally temps are never over 70C with Prime or Intel Burn Test on the CPU. Playing games like BF3 and Skyrim (ultra/high) the processor is going over 70C and overall temperature in the room is noticeable warmer. Most likely because both graphics cards are running 100% utilization.

I am not looking to upgrade the system yet and was wondering if I would benefit heat and fps wise going to a newer single GPU. If so which single card will get me a little better fps and a lot less heat. Not sure if my quad can push the newer cards either. Any advice is appreciated..this card would eventually be transferred to a new Intel rig down the road.

Case is an Antec P182 with stock fans. Xigmatek HDT-S1283 cpu cooler w/ upgraded fan. 68-70F ambient.

Running a SLI/Crossfire, you really need maximal airflow or the heat from the cards build up around the CPU. And you don't have an option for side fan to blow air directly on the GPUs.

Now, on Antec website the P182 is replaced by the P183 which comes with the top/rear fans included. Was it the same for yours? If so, I strongly suggest to use the fan mounts at the front of the case and add two other fans in the setup. Way less expensive than a new GPU, and if it's not enough to keep your temps in check now, well it's a small investment for the future anyway, when you'll build anew. Dedicated PSU chamber is not a bad idea in itself, but it reduces the space for the upper part with the Mobo, which can worsen the heat building up around the CPU.

Back