• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrades/Improvement/New Build Recommendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Schooey

Hello everyone.

I completed my first build (ever) a little over 1 month ago and I am already looking for ways to improve speed and performance. I am not a huge gamer but I do enjoy HD vids, Blu-ray vids, having multiple windows open while on the web, and multi-tasking. Before I ask a few questions and seek some advice, here are the specs of my build...

Motherboard ... Asus P8Z68-V LE Z68 LGA 1155
Processor ... Intel Core i5 2400 LGA 1155
Hard Drive ... HDD 1T WD10EARX SATA6G
Active Drive ... SSD 120G Intel SSDSC2CW120A310
2 Memory cards ... Corsair Vengeance Series 8GB DDR3-1866 (PC3-15000) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (2 4 GB Memory Modules)
2 Addt'l Video Cards ... XFX HD 675X ZMFR HD 6750 1G
3 Monitors ... Samsung SyncMaster 24" LED Backlit HD Monitors S24A300B
BluRay Burner/Player ... BD Burn Lite-On IHBS112-04
Power Supply ... PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750 Watt ATX
Computer Case/Tower ... Cooler Master HAF 922 Mid Tower ATX
Wireless Mouse & Keyboard ... Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Desktop 7000
1 set of speakers & subwoofer ... Logitech 200W Z623 THX certified speakers and subwoofer

I must say that I enjoyed doing the research and building my own machine (I think I did fine considering it's my first build). Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this build. I am simply considering the following ideas to upgrade or improve my current machine and I welcome any advice.

1. Would I see any noticeable improvements (in speed and performance) if I upgrade my CPU from i5 2400 LGA 1155 to either i7 3770 (or i7 3770K OR any of the Extreme Edition Unlocked "K" processors)?

1.a. I understand that my clock speed would move from 3.1 - 3.4 GHz to 3.4 - 3.9 GHz (or higher if I get a "K" processor and overclock/modify it), however, would any improvements be worth the additional money?

1.b. If the answer is "yes", and given the fact that I have never "overclocked" or messed with the BIOS before, is it difficult to make the necessary modifications to get the most out of my upgraded CPU? ... I assume I could get help with this :)

2. Though I currently do not have an unlocked processor, what are some average temps for (a) Motherboard [CPU, Auxiliary, System], (b) CPU [Core 1, 2, 3, 4 & Package], and (c) Hard Disk?

- I ask because I currently have 3 fans but I want to be sure I am providing enough airflow to maintain acceptable temps (without needing or having a liquid-cooled system).

3. Given my current system/build, do you have any other advice on how I can tweak my system to improve its speed and performance?

4. Any suggestions on what I can do differently on my next build (e.g., AMD vs Intel, LGA2011 vs LGA1155 [and using corresponding chipsets X79 or Z77/H77], different type of motherboard, PCI Express options)?

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated as I am still learning.

Thank you.

:welcome: Nice build!

1. Would I see any noticeable improvements (in speed and performance) if I upgrade my CPU from i5 2400 LGA 1155 to either i7 3770 (or i7 3770K OR any of the Extreme Edition Unlocked "K" processors)?
If you overclock it, possibly. Otherwise not really. :)

would any improvements be worth the additional money?
To be really practical about it, probably not. But Overclocking is a hobby, and if you are interested and think you might enjoy it, it's certainly worth a try.

is it difficult to make the necessary modifications to get the most out of my upgraded CPU? ... I assume I could get help with this
It's pretty straightforward, and it's what everyone here is into.

2. Though I currently do not have an unlocked processor, what are some average temps for (a) Motherboard [CPU, Auxiliary, System], (b) CPU [Core 1, 2, 3, 4 & Package], and (c) Hard Disk?
Maybe around 65C at load for the CPU, but this varies a lot. Hard drive should be 30C or less unless your ambient temperature is really high. What are your temps right now?

3. Given my current system/build, do you have any other advice on how I can tweak my system to improve its speed and performance?
It looks pretty solid, actually. I don't have any ideas that seem cost-effective.

Any suggestions on what I can do differently on my next build
:shrug:

If you're interested in overclocking, try it out with those video cards first. Doesn't require buying any parts and you'll see a boost in games.

Back