• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading from SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dlaw

Hello everyone, it's been a while.

It is time to upgrade my 980s, I'll be ordering an Index as soon as they're available again, and I need the horsepower to run it. I've been reading that SLI doesn't scale well at all in VR, which honestly didn't surprise me. So I'm considering either a 2080 or 2080Ti. There's a huge price gap, and I was wondering if I'll really notice the performance difference between them particularly in VR. I game at 1440p 165hz, my monitor does support freesync though I'm not really worried about that or raytracing that much at all. Or would I be better off with an AMD card?

What do you guys think?

I would milk the 980s until nvidia releases the next gen cards this summerish.
If you have to have a new gpu now i would go with a 2080super vs a 2080ti. The price to perf of the 2080super is hard to beat right now.
GL!

I dont think youd be happy at 2560x1440 165hz with a 5700xt. Just not enough horsepower for ultra and 165 fps.

I'd say 2080 super too... best of both worlds.

SLI in general is not ideal unless you have the top end card available and still need more power (e.g. 4k on all max settings). It doesent scale well in some games and in a few games it does not work at all. It also makes double the heat and double the power consumption. A single GPU is always a better idea.

official SLI supported games: https://www.geforce.co.uk/games-applications/technology/sli?title=&sort_bef_combine=created+DESC

you'll notice that there's not really any new titles listed anymore.

i personally still use SLI in my rig because the main games i play still scale well with the tech.

PS: if you go SLI, be prepared to spend $100 on a NVLink Bridge, on top of the price tag of 2 cards

EDIT: whoops, accidentally cut out the below before hitting the button!

for the price, a 2080 super is great... performs slightly worse than the 2080TI for a lot less money. to put it in perspective: a pair of 2070 supers and a NVLink cost about the same as a 2080TI... the real question is whether 8G VRAM (Super) is enough, or if you need 11G VRAM (TI)

Last edited:
Uh guys he's not asking for advice on what cards to run SLI, he's asking for a suggestion of a single card to replace his SLI 980 setup. We all know SLI is dead.

I used to have a dark base 700 filled to the max. EATX motherboard, two GTX 1080 in SLI, and a twin 360 water cooling setup.

I play MW the most and soon realised that on max settings @1080p 60fps only one card was being used.

I sold both cards just before Christmas and built a sweet ITX system with a GTX 1080ti.

It is not as quiet as the bigger build and I have had to drop my ridiculous cpu Overclock. This might be due to the motherboard. As I have lots of cooling headroom.

It is a lot lighter, easier to move, easier to rebuild. Less power draw. With not much difference in thermals.

I was so happy I converted the MATX family pc to ITX too.

If he wants to do 165hz ultra settings 1440P, the only choice is a 2080Ti. I have a 1080Ti overclocked (which is pretty much a 2080 Super) and it will not do 165 FPS at QHD on ultra settings in pretty much any game.. Even the 2080Ti wont do 165 Hz in all games, especially if you have RayTracing on. If you have RayTracing on, it will only do like 60 FPS at QHD in some games.

Back