• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading video card question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sabwafare2001

Registered
My current video card has an sis315 chipset and it's 64mb sdram. I am going to upgrade to a ATI 8500LE 64mb. The question is do I need to do anything special to install this card besides the installing the drivers?

Gigabyte GA-7VRXP
256mb PC2100 ram
XP1800+ @2000+
Lite-on 24x10x40
Lite-on dvd 16x
Creative Labs 56K V.92 Modem
IBM 80gig 7200rpm
Fujitsu 20gig 5400rpm
500W psu

when changing video cards i like to first go into vga mode then uninstall old drivers,reboot ,make sure old drivers are gone then shutdown.install new card,fire her up and install supplied drivers.then go to manufacturer website and update to latest drivers.

ptwearnhardtfan said:

Uninstall any display driver it shows.

and if it does not show any driver software in the add/remove programs menu, then uninstall the device in device manager....normally the best way with major hardware however is to reinstall windows...

Figured I would throw in my method.

The first thing that I do is install the new drivers from the new card. It is easiast to do while everything is working and should not mess with your current vid card. This will ask for a reboot, just say no. Next go into add/remove and remove the old drivers. This will ask for a reboot as well. Again say no as this will only restart the system. Instead shut down the pc and switch cards. When you boot up the old drivers will be gone and the New hardware found box will come up locate the drivers for your new card and you will be ready to go.:D

Back