• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading Watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As the tubing i had was so flexible it was able to kink slightly when i cut the hose down from the rough positioning i had. so as i ordered 2 coils in case they were needed, i thought i would use them. I would have put it round the res but i never got round to it.

And what do you mean by aio? if you mean io, then the actual power section of the case allows you to remove cables you dont want, so i only have USB 3, and the power and reset cables connected

Ok so i have had the system a while and thought i would do a quick update on how things are going.

So 2 weeks after the build was finished, the MCP-35X failed on me while the system was booted, not the best of things to happen to a running overclocked system. That was sent back and with 3 weeks of waiting for a replacement and moving house i ended up trading it in for a refund and going for a XSPC Laing D5 PWM Pump Single Edition with a top.

This is working great and if anything actually seems quieter then the MCP-35X i had, although i think that had problems from new as the refund wasn't questioned nor was the return.

As i had to change the pump i wanted some new hoses. The manufacturer i got the pump off didn't have any of the old hoses so i ended up buying all new and went for the "Primochill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT" which actually was much better then the old hose and had a tighter radius for bends plus a darker red color.

After all this as said and done i then decided to go upgrade. Swapping my 1090T ffor a Xeon E3-1230 V2, and switching my crosshair IV formula with a sabertooth. So i needed a new CPU block but that wasn't too expensive. So all in all i now have a quad rad, with 4 gentle scythe 1850rpm fans. I have replaced all the noisey case fans with even more gentle scythes. And the rig is silent, except my graphics card fans which i will be making changes to soon when i get my GTX 780 at some point.

Seeing the builds for the 900D now.... The case internally i love, especially seeing space for tubing behind the motherboard tray. Did i need the extra space it offered? No. I have warmed to the Xilence case, especially as it looks nothing like the retail pictures and is mainly metal not plastic like it looks.

If i had the extra money and was willing to wait... I think i would have gone for the 900D just because... Well purely to put the res and pump at the bottom of the case. Having the Xilence, with everything hidden in the top, and only 2 tubes come down for the CPU.... Well i don't really like the looks of it, but that could all change if i decide to watercool a GTX 780....

And maybe in a year or 2 if i decide to go for a Haswell xeon, and watercool the motherboard again

Thanks for the update!

Its very rare but possible of getting a bad mcp-35x. They are awesome and great pumps. I have 2 of them for at least 1 1/2 years now and ran just fine. Its unfortunate but again it does happen very rare of getting a bad pump from the production line.

Yes every so often there is always one. The replacement time for one of those pumps is 6 weeks in the UK. D5 pumps are much easier to get hold of in the UK and have huge stock levels. Just need to figure out how to make my tubing look nicer now

Back