• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UPS failboat! *sigh*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kskwerl

Just thought I'd share with you these images of my computer that was shipped through UPS from NJ to LA. Good thing I fully insured it!

broken computer 002.jpg

broken computer 004.jpg

broken computer 005.jpg

download.jpg

broken computer 007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixed images. In the future, please resize the images prior to upload. Regardless of whether you resize them or if you absolutely must use extremely large images, please click the paperclip again after uploading them and insert the images into your post so they'll be auto-shrunk by the forum.

As far as your computer, I'd highly recommend requesting the parts be individually packaged next time you purchase the whole shebang, for what are now obvious reasons.

That sucks. If you only seen what happens in the hubs when the trucks get loaded. Frightening!!:eek:

Hope they don't screw you on the claim.

As far as your computer, I'd highly recommend requesting the parts be individually packaged next time you purchase the whole shebang, for what are now obvious reasons.

Did you ship the entire system in the case box?
I dont think the case box is made to support/protect a complete system.
Hopefully UPS's insurance is quicker than USPS, as I waited ~4 months for a claim to go through.

Did you ship the entire system in the case box?
I dont think the case box is made to support/protect a complete system.
Hopefully UPS's insurance is quicker than USPS, as I waited ~4 months for a claim to go through.

That, plus it's obvious from the PSU holder's demise, the case side panels aren't thick enough (in most cases) to hold a component while it's being jostled around. It just wasn't very smart all around to ship that thing with the components installed. Even if the box was good enough, there is little chance the PC would have come out unscathed.

As I understand it, full-custom-system builders (think Origin, etc) ship theirs with specially formed foam that encases the system within itself and keeps ANYTHING from moving. Short of that, it's always best to remove components and ship them individually (or separate in a larger box).

I worked at UPS once and I have to say.... expect anything you ship to be thrown with extreme anger at least once, and pack it accordingly.

What kills me is, you pay a nice chunk of money to have something shipped. To have it 'insured' costs extra money - I can't understand how they can justify charging additional money so that if they screw something up, your stuff is covered. That would be like going to a resturaunt and paying extra money so that if they screw up your order, you can get reimbursed for their screw up. "Your steak is overdone? Did you get it insured? Sorry, can't help you"

The case made things worse.... A sturdier case would have withstand it.

Even a high-end cases are built with thinner steel/aluminum and are then enclosed in basic styrofoam with no impact absorption.

What kills me is, you pay a nice chunk of money to have something shipped. To have it 'insured' costs extra money - I can't understand how they can justify charging additional money so that if they screw something up, your stuff is covered. That would be like going to a resturaunt and paying extra money so that if they screw up your order, you can get reimbursed for their screw up. "Your steak is overdone? Did you get it insured? Sorry, can't help you"

I agree with this. Even if they didn't completely cover, it would be better than no coverage for free.

But as said previously, a number of things could go into this issue. One being the shipping method itself. If I ship something that has a large enough open space, I fill it with peanuts. Secondly, I'm not going to judge on the case quality because I have a $15 case, but the metal is pretty thin (as shown by the picture and the fact that the psu ripped off).

Sorry about the image sizes. I'll be sure to resize next time.

I actually sold this computer to someone in LA on ebay. I already got the cash and everything for it and it's insured but that really sucks.

I mean I could see a dent or 2 in the case but that's just complete negligence on UPS's part. Totally unacceptable. UPS is pretty much a joke.

THIS!

You are paying to have the product shipped...thats all. There are certain risks associated with the act of shipping, therefore you INSURE it at an extra cost to protect against those risks. You can mitigate those risks with proper packing (as in, not shipping an entire PC, or with internal support).

This is not remotely like a restaurant guys...not at all. But to play on your analogy, they have the same exact steaks in the back for replacement vs essentially a one of a kind item.

You are paying to have the product shipped...thats all. There are certain risks associated with the act of shipping, therefore you INSURE it at an extra cost to protect against those risks. You can mitigate those risks with proper packing (as in, not shipping an entire PC, or with internal support).

This is not remotely like a restaurant guys...not at all. But to play on your analogy, they have the same exact steaks in the back for replacement vs essentially a one of a kind item.

I def hear what you're saying EarthDog but it was even in a box with a computer on it! But then again if I worked for UPS I wouldn't care either cause it's not my stuff so it is what it is. I've just never ever had a problem with UPS until now.
I hope the dude I sent it to didn't do that and is trying to get the money or something.

There's a difference between a delivery truck getting into an accident and your goods being damaged vs. a disgruntled employee drop kicking your stuff (or stealing stuff, as was in my case) and saying you should have had it insured. I'm not saying every package ever shipped needs to be handled with white gloves, but there is a degree of expectation / qualitative reasoning that if you trust me with something, I would treat it with enough respect to ensure that it was delivered in tact.

Absolutely guys.

This thing could have simply just been accidently dropped too! regardless, its UPS's fault and I hope you get your money back for the rig. :)

Been there done it. Only one of nine this year have been damaged though. And I ship fully assembled and in the original case box and all UPS. I do insure every system though.

The UPS employees don't give a rats a** what is on the outside of the box. Rule of thumb is if you mark it "FRAGILE", odds are it will get treated even rougher.

Back